1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Communion for pets

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by church mouse guy, Mar 18, 2004.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The head of the Gestapo, the secret police of nazi Germany, Heinrich Himmler supported a campaign to abolish hunting on the notion that "every animal has a right to live." And we have heard of churches with rattlesnakes, but who would have thought that communion would be given to dogs?

Now we are seeing a few Episcopal churches giving communion for pets.

Elizabeth Bernstein wrote an article for the Wall Street Journal front page on Wednesday, March 10, reporting on this mostly Episcopalian activity.

Words seem to fail in grasping the depravity of this animal theology. You tell me--here is a reprint of the Wall Street Journal story in a Utah newspaper

http://www.slc-classifieds.com/realestate/articles/8006.asp

2. music4Him

music4Him New Member

church mouse guy
    I have heard of some of the churches doing a blessing day for our animal friends, but not the communion. It's not scriptural.
    Praying for a pet is one thing, but communion......... I don't think so.

BTW, Maybe I skiped over the part in the artical to where it esplains why the preist thinks its alright (or his resoning behind it) to give a pet communion? Interesting topic and artical. [​IMG]

Music4Him

3. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

This is what comes from believing that humans evolved from lower life forms (we are all animals). This is also what comes with the belief that the sacrament is able or that church attendance saves. It is the ultimate insult to Christ and these sad souls have no clue. I hope they enjoy their female lesbian ministers and the pretty stain glass windows and gothic atmosphere of their houses of worship. It will likely be the closest they get to heaven... Unless they repent and ask Christ to be LORD of their lives, I see nothing better for them.

4. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

I hate to spoil your fun, guys. But you really do need to read more carefully.

"As part of the service, the 59-year-old retired portfolio manager carried her 17-year-old tiger cat to the altar, waited in line behind three panting dogs to receive the host and had a special benediction performed for her cat, Purr Box Jr."

This sentence says that the woman received communion and that her cat received a benediction.

I don't agree with having pets in church, but this article is not saying what you are making it out to say.

BTW, I have no doubt that plenty of baptists have prayed for their pets over the years.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We used to see 'Pet Blessings' this time of year on some special Saint's Day up north. I guess it makes about as much sense as taking your animal to see 'Santa Claus'. Dumb, de dum dum.

Praying for a child's pet is different. Blessing an animal or communion is way outta bounds!

Diane

6. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

The lady is still living a lie...

7. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

Pray for your animals all you like (I do mine!), but when we start seeing, and treating them as people, it can become dangerous.

One step down a slippery slope.........

8. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Communion for pets. Unthinkable!!

Probably, the next thing will be some minister or priest marrying two 'Golden Retreivers' of the same sex.

Hell, is being enlarged for ungodly people like this who do such things. [Isaiah 5:14] 'Therefore, Hell has enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure . . . '

I have had Irish Setters most of my life.

9. trying2understand

Helllllloooooo....

The article does NOT say that the cat received communion.

Doesn't anyone bother to read before jumping in with their indignation? :rolleyes:

10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the article does not seem to say that the animal got communion but the Wall Street Journal does say, "What drew Ms. Wilkinson back into the fold was a new monthly program the church introduced--Holy Communion for pets."

So I just dropped the word "Holy" and took the Wall Street Journal's words as a title for the thread. The point is that one can take his pet to the altar during communion.

I am not exactly "jumping in with ...indignation," but with disgust for this latest twist in Christian leftist or Christian liberal theology. Even Rover must wonder why it is there.

11. trying2understand

So because someone else misrepresents it, it's ok for you to perpetuate the misrepresentation?

Besides, your excuse doesn't wash anyway.

"...but who would have thought that communion would be given to dogs?"

You added your own little extra to the false witness. :rolleyes:

12. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

Love suffers long and is kind: love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;

I Corinthians 4-6

13. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, let me apologize. The article was ambiguous to me from when I first read it and I went back and forth on what was going on. By the time that I started the thread I wrote what I thought. Later I agreed that it may have only met what you said that it was only people who took communion not animals. I regret the misunderstanding. There was no intentional false misrepresentation as charged by Trying2.

If you are Episcopalian, I think that your denomination is overboard, Trying2. The Episcopalians seem to prefer heresy to schism, don't they?

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know about that. It might be kinda neat. I know some of my Shelties would behave better in church than some small children I have seen act up in church. :D

15. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Here is the key statement in the whole article:

"With pews hard to fill, a small number of otherwise-traditional clergy are welcoming animals into the flock"

Why are their pews hard to fill? And why do they have to resort to such frivolous methods to fill them? It says much about the state of the Christian Church generally and the Episcopol Church in particular.

16. atestring

atestring New Member

My dog would be refused communion for her behavior !!!

17. trying2understand

Why is that the key statement?

BTW, the local baptist churches here compete to fill their pews by having comedy nights, paintball trips, building a rollerblading park, amusement park trips, etc.

All of that is meant to get kids to want their parents to join the church.

Is that a whole lot different?