1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Comparing

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by agedman, Oct 30, 2017.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have had the privilege of interacting with a few graduates of Southern Baptist and non-denomination universities of now long past. When they reflected on the university life a the time of the late 40’s early 50’s a few things stand as universal:

1) Intolerance for student mis-behavior.
    To me, it was interesting to find that the late 40’s early 50’s rules of conduct at Baylor were actually more strick then at Bob Jones during the same time. I suppose it just took Bob Jones a few more decades to rethink some of their views.

2) Priority on actual verifiable learning.
    In the late 40’s early 50’s, Unlike some of the other noted higher education universities (painting with a very wide brush) many Baptist and non-denomination (including some independent Baptist) actually demanded a rather high quality verifiable practical knowledge from the students in order be accepted to the schools but also to progress through the degree plan.

3) Transportation to the schools were usually by bus and train, few students had cars.
    Even through the sixties, the number who had cars compared to those who did not was reversed from what it is, today.

4) Dress code was more often men had to wear coat and tie, women stockings and heals to all classes. Even athletic events was often what modern folks don’t even wear as their Sunday best in this modern time.

5) can you think of other similarities in the universities?