1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Compelled to sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Winman, Jul 17, 2012.

?
  1. Yes, I was forced to sin, I was compelled to sin.

7.1%
  2. No, I was not compelled or forced to sin, but sinned by choice.

92.9%
  1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. I can choose either way but when I do choose to sin I do so because I yielded to my flesh which is part of my adamic nature.

HankD

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ASnd all still have a partial image of God in us, despite the fall, still have from God a conscience unless its been searred, so we can even while sinners chose not to murder/rape/steal the "big sins:, but cannot keep from never sinning, always going to be doing some kind, in either thought or deed!

Once saved, when the temptation comes, can rely upon the person and power of the holy Spirit and the bible to resisit, sinners cannot do that!

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

All of us have a sin nature. Within that sin nature, we operate freely. So, we freely choose to sin.

After the Lord saves us, we don't lose our sin nature (Paul realized that). But we are given a new nature to compete with the old nature. Paul called it a war.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    true, but thankfully those saved by grace of God can have victory over the flewsh, by reckoning us dead to sin, and relying upon Christ in us, thru the Holy Spirit!

5. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are not compelled to sin. Compulsion implies doing something against one's will or judgment. We always sin according to our will.

Yes, we choose to sin. Just because we have a sin nature and that we sin via our nature does not mean we sin against our will. All sin is by choice. The question is do we have a libertarian free will. If so, then we need to figure out the basis upon which we make determinations essentially in a vacuum.

Of course! Thank God we all make that choice at times.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    problem is that God demands us to be able to ALWAYS chose not to sin, to go against our fallen natures, NONE can do that!

7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone sins by choice. If we could be forced to sin it would no longer be a sin. The lost are like drug addicts when it comes to sin. The more they sin the more they want to sin the sins they enjoyed most.
    MB

8. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

When we are unsaved, we sin not only by choice but because of our sin nature that desires sin. After we accept Christ as our Saviour, we have the Holy Spirit within us and can avoid sin but too often willingly give in to it. If we would only rely upon the power within us (the Holy Spirit) to resist sin, we would be able to do so. However, we choose to sin. I can no longer blame my sin nature (or say "The devil made me do it."), because I also have God's nature within me that gives me the power to resist sin, if only I would make use of that unlimited power.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

I could resist sin before I was saved. I had friends who tried to convince me to do something wrong and I refused.

If you had a conscience, then how were you compelled to sin? And doesn't the fact that we all have a conscience prove that we don't always want to sin, even before we were saved?

The very definition of conscience is to know right from wrong and have an inner inclination to do that which is right. Look the word up in any dictionary.

If we all have a conscience (which I hope we do), then how can it always be our desire to do wrong?

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you have resisted and kept the law enough to be saved by your willpower?

as god requires us to be perfect in keeping His Law, that means thoughts and actions! ONLY jesus can do that!

11. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Sin by choice. Man sins because he wants to sin. Man is not forced against his will to sin.

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

This right here is besides the point, Brother. If anyone could have kept the Law, then Christ died in vain. Christ died to free us from the curse of the Law, and took upon Himself our curse, when the scripture states, "Cursed in anyone who hangs upon a tree".

Sin is a choice to do the wrong thing.

13. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

We all have the knowledge of good and evil a conscience I believe. We have not lost the knowledge of good. God has revealed Himself through what He has made. God revealed His will through His word.

We have no excuse because the wickedness of our will. We come to a point and say not my will but your will be done.

Turn to God through Jesus Christ, repent and live.