1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Concerts to resume after fight at church club

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by J.D., May 28, 2008.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

That's why professional concert vendors have very strict rules about crowd capacity and control. You've got a bunch of teenage boys packed in a rooom, there a lot of noise and movement. Someone bumps into someone, and the next thing you know, people are either fighting or running for the doors. It used to happen a lot, not so much anymore. No one wants to be responsible for another dead tennager.

love,

Sopranette

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought I used small words - easy to understand. And that's not at all what I said.

3. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Tim, isn't God confined to a box? You know, He can't operate outside of what some say are His boundaries. At least that's what some here seem to be saying.

I thank God that there is no box strong enough to confine him. He can do anything He wants to do.

4. Cutter

Cutter New Member

It sure is nice to be associated with all of the people on BB that think they know what God wants to do.

Seems I remember something about His thoughts and ways being higher than ours, and the carnal mind not being subject unto the laws of God, and the fact that they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Anyway, if people want to believe that they can assemble in the flesh and worship in the flesh, then go ahead. If scripture can't stop them then nothing I say will.

5. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used fairly small words - I don't see how you could misunderstand. I said God can do anything He wants to do, and that's the truth. I never said I know everything God wants to do.

But, I do believe that God is fully capable to use any form of music to get His message out - even forms that we are not that excited about. For anyone to say "that music is ungodly" is to limit God's ability. Again, God can do anything He wants to do - even use a form of music that you may not like to get His message out to people.

6. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Is dancing biblical? If you say yes, then I understand your sentiments.
    And please don't use the scripture of David dancing before the Lord as an example if you believe that it is.

7. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dancing? I didn't say anything about dancing.

8. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Maybe you did not understand why I asked. Secular music goes hand in hand with dancing. "Christian music" in the form of rock music encourages a shew of the flesh, manifesting itself into dancing. I'm sure at these types of concerts dancing is taking place.

9. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surely you're kidding. Right?

10. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Why would I kid about such a serious matter. When people attend rock concerts there is alot of flailing of bodies and jumping around acting a fool. Maybe that is why you asked me if I was kidding, because there is no way such behavior should be referred to as dancing. :laugh:

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

What a condescending and arrogant statement.

'tis sad that God can truly be at work, and there are those who wish to belittle what God is doing...all in the name of personal preference.

I'm not defending the event mentioned in the OP. Sounds like they had problems. But I could have done the same thing by condemning traditional worship...doing so by relating a time that there was a physical confrontation in a church I served...a traditional church...years ago.

Sin does not need a certain worship style to foul things up.

It's worth saying again (though it's often ignored): Not all music...even though Christian in its lyrics/message...is appropriate for worship. That's true in Southern Gospel, traditional gospel songs, modern music, etc. However...things get awful muddy when we realize that what you call "rock," I don't.....and vice-versa. Some would label Casting Crowns in that genre; others would not. It gets even muddier when we realize that there isn't a checklist regarding what tempo, time signature, chord progression, and instruments used...and how "sanctified" said elements are.

This thread was started as an excuse to bash what is not "liked."
    "Christian rock" is undefinable.

We should get really nervous when we take it upon ourselves to declare that another's worship is not of God. I fully support your saying, "I don't like (prefer) that." We better be real careful when we declare, "That's not of God."

And quite frankly, some of ya'll are jumping the gun on that, and you're doing it without one shred of contextual Scriptural support.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Didn't you know? This is National Non-sequitur Day.

By the way, that's why gas is so expensive.

(waits for SBC to get the lame non-sequitur) :D

13. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Originally Posted by Cutter
    It sure is nice to be associated with all of the people on BB that think they know what God wants to do.
    Sorry if I offended you, but when worldly worship is condoned and expressed as God working outside of our thinking box, something begs to be said. God is and always has been the same. People change, therefore people change the message and way of worship to accommodate the latest trends and whims of mankind. The command of worshiping the Lord in Spirit and truth is a constant. If the Apostle Paul or any of the other Apostles were evangelizing America today I believe with all of my heart they would be appalled at what is taking place in the name of the Lord's work. If they would feel that way, how do you think God views it? That is my opinion, please share with me what you believe Paul and the others would think about the state of the church in America.

#33 Cutter, May 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2008
  14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Who gets to define "worldly worship?" As I said...I'm not defending what happened in the OP. Sounds like there were problems...furthermore, I wasn't there, so there's some level of speculation at that point.

But is worldly worship...
    • When a song's tempo is over 96...is that worldly?
    • When drums are used....is that worldly?
    • How 'bout just congas instead of a full drum set...is that worldly? Or less so than full drums?
    • When you play a 5/4 song...is that worldly?
    • How much stringed instruments can you use? What kind of stringed instruments....
      • Piano?
      • Guitar?
      • Bass?
      • Hammered Dulcimer?
      • Hurdy-gurdy?
    • Is an upbeat arrangement of an old hymn "worldly?"
    • How about drama? If you use a drama that illustrates a Scriptural truth...is that worldly?
    See...we're stepping all in it now. We're getting into personal preference. Maybe we should ask:
    • "Is the gospel being proclaimed?"
    • "Is God at work in the life of this congregation?"
    • "Is this body inspired to holy living through these acts of worship?"
    I can unequivocally say "Yes" to the above questions in my church. I can say "yes" when we worship "traditionally," as well as when we do so in a more modern setting. People are being saved. Lives are being changed.

First of all, that's conjecture. Secondly, in Revelation, each church was addressed separately. There are many sick churches in the US. But there are also many vibrant, healthy churches. I don't think one can simply paint one broad stroke and "cover" everything.

And I'm glad you expressed it. But it is an opinion. As is mine. We should take care so as to not elevate opinion into theological bedrock.

15. dan e.

dan e. New Member

That's absolutely correct.

God has always used hymns, wore choir robes, and if the KJV was good enough for the Apostle Paul....it's good enough for us now!!:laugh:

by the way....I actually know someone who's been told that last part!

16. Cutter

Cutter New Member

The Bible.
    I don't believe Jesus has changed His mind when He said, God is a Spirit: and they that worship God, must worship Him in Spirit and in truth.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those choir robes were accompanied by leather sandals too. They even got washed about once or twice a year.

Paul and Jesus sure spoke the King's English very well. I wonder how those fishermen learned English so well? Did they speak in English tongues and the common people heard them in their own language similar to what happened in Acts?

18. Joe

Joe New Member

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judge the fruits. Before they were reprimanded, were the teens kicking each other out of malice, or was it in response to the "hardcore" music sanctioned and promoted by "Club Relevant?"

It was their response to the music sanctioned and promoted by the club.

Is this Christian conduct?

No.

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does.

And personal preference has no place in Christian worship. Who's will is it that we are supposed to be doing, God's or ours? So if, as you will say, that God has expressed no will concerning the character and decorum of music in Christian worship, then music is out.

I like the following better:

Is there a clear Scriptural foundation for this activity in Christian worship?

Blah, blah, blah. Can you say yes to my question when evaluating a lot of the methods employed by your church?

We should take care not to assume that one's personal preferences are hallowed.