1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Concluding Thoughts on the NTAIBC and the FBFI

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Squire Robertsson, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Brother, for keeping us apprised of and linked to this series. I enjoyed reading it all up through Bauder's summation here. I have a few comments on his concluding thoughts.
    I agree that NT churches enjoyed a level of cooperation -- imo, much greater than churches in the present. On the other hand, I wouldn't agree that NT churches always had "organization outside and beyond the local congregation," if he has in mind organization of the kind we think of today in associations, conventions and fellowship. We often read what we have devised into the text, but if we didn't already have what we have we probably wouldn't get it out of the text.
    This is a keen observation of a recurring theme, and not only among fundamentalists. The "common dangers" which bring us together -- once vanquished -- most often cannot hold us together.
    Perhaps in these disagreements is where we should say let's go our ways and wish each other the best rather than engage in a denominational duel to the death. [I have also developed the opinion that the denominational duel to the death can be more about the "furniture" (auxiliaries, denominational organizations) than the "faith" (doctrinal truth).]
    In studying denominational division, I have often been impressed that personal differences were a major player more than doctrinal or procedural differences. Not to say there are never important principles at play; just that we often let our personal opinions outweigh important principles.

3. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A couple of observations on the division:
    1. The FBFI men looked at the battles fought in the NBC and CBA. They concluded a fellowship of individuals would serve them better. Easy to get in, easy to get out, and the fellowship would not have any property (real or otherwise) to fight over.
    2. There were personality conflicts going on at the same time. There was some blood in the water. Richard Clearwaters ("running" the NTAIBC) viewed the Wenigar brothers (Arno Q. Senior and G. Archer) the founders of San Francisco (Conservative) Baptist Theological Seminary as interlopers stealing students from Central Baptist Theological Seminary. He also found out B. Myron Cedarholm had his own rolodex when Cedarholm resigned from Pillsbury BBC and went on to start what is now Maranatha Baptist University.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This shows wisdom learned by experience. A simple fellowship makes more sense (to me) than creating something churches join. And when they own property together they have something to fight over besides just doctrine!

A couple more of my own observations. [1] The concept of FBFI -- a fellowship open to any interested individuals -- is appealing to me, though the FBFI itself wouldn't be my cup of tea. It is, imo, too "tight" a fellowship in some areas (pretributionalism, e.g.) and too loose in others (e.g., the statement on the Lord's Supper seems to be worded to allow any variation, including open communion, as long as it includes "self-examination"). [2] Many people probably assume that all IFB fellowships are "created equal". But all of them are not simple fellowships of individuals. BBFI, for example, is a fellowship of Baptist pastors of supporting Baptist churches; that is, churches that financially support a BBFI missionary or some BBFI entity. In doing so, it is more like a denomination than a fellowship of individuals.

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the FBFI's strengths is its network of regional fellowships. Not only is there an annual national fellowship meeting, but there are around ten or so regional annual fellowship meetings held around the US and overseas. Attendance at a regional or even the national meeting is not dependent on "paid" membership in the FBFI. An interested person can simply show up, partake, and enjoy.

As for the pretribulationalism, remember that was the proximate cause for the CBA blow up.

And yes, all fellowships are not organized on the same basis. The IFBdom is so splintered it boggles my mind when someone makes an unhedged categorical statement about the movement.

6. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is here a website that describes this please? And what is the CBA?

7. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for a website, all I can suggest is the link to Dr. Bauder's blog posts in this and the other posts in his series. The split occurred in the mid-1960s. So, there is no "digital" record of it. CBA stands for Conservative Baptist Association.

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as the CBA, they have a web site, but it does not include any history of it (that I am aware of).
    CBAmerica

9. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you.