1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Confession of a Hyper-Calvinist

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, May 20, 2022.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with what Brandan Kraft(who runs the Pristine Grace website) has written in this article which he wrote in 2004.

" I have a confession to make. I'm a hyper-calvinist. Yes, that's right, I'm one of those people; you know the type that hates everyone, refuses to preach the Gospel, hates God’s Holy law, breathes fire, and eats nails for breakfast . Anyway, it's not a label I’ve chosen for myself, it’s just that most people in the religious world would label me as such. Usually, there are many negative connotations that are implied in this label and it's not hard to pick up on them in the tones of the voices who slap this label on me. When I jump on Paltalk for a friendly conversation about the Bible and theology, it's a rare occasion when I don't hear a sneering individual boldly claim, "You're a hyper-calvinisssssssssssssssssst!"

You would think that with all the shrill exclamations there is something very terrible about my beliefs. But from my perspective, I don't understand what the big deal is and indeed think there are serious problems with those who would oppose these doctrines which I hold in high esteem."

- rest of this article by Brandan Kraft at Confession of a Hyper-Calvinist (mailchi.mp)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

Forgive my ignorance, I have heard about a "hyper-calvinist", but am not aware of what a 'hyper-Calvinist" is suppose to believe. I do not follow "labels" that so many within the "church" like to participate in. So would someone like to inform me, so that I know how to respond to this OP.

I can understand his frustration at being labeled something that you are not, for many have accused me of being a "Calvinist", when I have never read his writings. I have heard about his belief's through other's, and the TULIP, and I have learned about his bad and controlling behaviours towards those who would not agree with his belief's. And due to that I stay away, and I stay away basically from all men's books and teachings. I will not be made "merchandise" for other's to make millions off the Gospel when the Gospel is for FREE!

I am a very strong supporter against "Free Will" beliefism salvation and "say the prayer" and be saved mindset.
    The Lord through the Holy Spirit taught me about the Free Will lie back in the late 90's, but people just love to place labels on those they who they disagree with. Matter of fact, the hate, the attacking of one's character, is their typical response........

Thank you for posting this.....
    I can totally relate to this man's experience. Labels just destroy so much "truth", it is very sad.

The Lord bless you.....
    In His Love....

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you read the entire article I provided the link to?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No thanks

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be curious(I am assuming you read the article), what in the article did you disagree with?

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never assume Ken. I don’t like Hyper Calvinists. I believe their stance to be false and I won’t entertain them. With that said, they could well be born again and born before the foundations but they are not proper Baptists as demonstrated by refusal to accept our theology.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, since I agree with what he wrote, I guess you don't like me, then.

Oh well.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He concludes his article this way: "So while I specifically don’t approve of the label, “hyper-calvinist,” as I personally do not believe that the doctrines of grace have any business being named after a man, I am honored to be known as such. That is my confession, and I call upon all who agree with the doctrines briefly described in this paper to make this confession as well."

Personally, if believing that God is absolutely over sovereign over all of His creation causes some people to call me a hyper-calvinist, then so be it.

9. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

No, I did not, I hate reading these types of "wordology" within the "Christian" world......so I beg your forgiveness, I broke down and quickly read and skimmed through it......after all you did take the time to put it up for a reason, and a man is worthy to be shown respect when the took the time to dig information up.

It's unbelievable that so many "Theologians" have to develop such fleshly "intellectual" jargon to prove a point! When the Scripture through the teaching of the Holy Spirit makes it all perfectly simple and clear without those "terminologies".
    I stay far from that nonsense, because if discerned closely it is truly just prideful intellectual gibberish, which many, who also studied "philosophy" amongst their "bible studes" think "look at me" I'm smart.......excuse me but it makes me sick to my spirit....... Mr. JC Philpot had also felt this way back in the mid 1800's.

Thank the Lord that He picks and utilizies those who are the lowest of the low to know Him and to be One with Him as He is with the Father.....It truly is glorious.

I have to say I've learned all Mr. Branden Kraft wrote about, on my own when the Lord deemed it time, with the Holy Spirit to understand Him and His Sovereign ways. This all started about in the mid-90's, then step by step He granted me the gift to understand HIM.

Thank you for sharing this info, I learned from it...........and this endorsed my thoughts more than ever STOP THE LABELS people!

The Lord bless you.....
    In His Love.....

• Like Like x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin did not like his theology being namned after him either. Initially it was given to the sect by Lutherans (describing their difference over Communion). Calvin preferred "Reformed".

We can see some errors in the article (or at least some philosophy over Scripture) when it comes to divine "decrees". Here I believe Jonathan Edwards had a more biblical position.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had lately started to lean in the direction of the supralapsarian position as being the correct one, and after reading Brandan Kraft's article, I have no doubt now, and am willing to state that I believe the supralapsarian position to be correct versus the infralapsarian position.

God is sovereign...all the time.
    All the time...God is sovereign.

12. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

That is the problem with "labeling with certain names" because their "theology" becomes an idol......
    I would have to say that your theology is of the mind and not after the Spirit.
    I hate the doctrine of those who support a "Free Will " salvation...........because it is leading so many into the pit of hell, because they are establishing their "self-righteous" actions based upon their self worth works......and we know how that ends.......

The Lord bless you.....
    In His Love...

• Like Like x 2
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a Calvinist that ended up being my position as well.

Even now that I have rejected Calvinism, I view the "elect" as being chosen in Christ prior to "the Fall" (which means those who are not ultimately saved are by necessity chosen to that state prior to the Fall).

The difference, however, is that I view the "decree" in the act Creation by an omniscient God.

The way I see it is if God knew before Creation what would occur with His creation, and then created the world then everything is predestined to occur as God knew it would (to include salvation and reprobation).

Going into "decree" vs "ordain" is simply a philosophical exercise. Either God is omniscient and everything is predestined or God is not omniscient and nothing is predestined.

This position also allows for free-will (insofar as the will acting freely within the confines of its nature). I suppose this is why some reject Jonathan Edwards as being a Calvinist while others embrace him as a hero of Calvinism.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My mother was a very wise woman and always taught me to distinguish between the act of (thinking)and bringing certain (knowing). Her mantra was always, Stephen are you thinking or are you Knowing? So what are you doing Ken… Thinking or Knowing?

#14 Earth Wind and Fire, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
  15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand the question. What specifically are you asking about?

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no difference between decree and ordain that I am aware of. Is there someone who thinks there is?

17. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with Mr Kraft's article is that it is based on human logic rather than on the word of God.
    God tells us, 'My ways are not your ways nor are your ways My ways.'
    So when we read in John 6:37, "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me," and then in the very same verse, "And the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out," our human logic rebels against one or other part of the verse, but we have to accept them both. We must tell lost sinners that if they will only come to Christ He will not cast them out, and let God worry about whether they have been given by the Father to the Son.

Likewise, in Mark 1:15, our Lord declares, "the KIngdom of God is at hand; repent and believe the good news!" This is in the Imperative; it is a command from the King of kings and Lord of lords. To whom is He speaking? At the time, to everyone within earshot, and today to everyone who reads Mark's Gospel. Is it their duty to obey our Lord's command? Of course it is! Will they be saved if they repent and believe the Gospel? Of course they will! Jesus Christ is very God, and God cannot lie. But what if they are not elect? Let God worry about that. Our job is to 'preach the Gospel to every creature' and that Gospel tells us that 'Everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved.' Is it the duty of every creature to believe the Gospel? You betcha!

• Like Like x 1
  18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not a flaw. Brandan Kraft stated, "Since this is not a paper designed to teach basic bible truth, I haven’t taken the time to prove my theology with Scripture. That’s not to say I haven’t based my beliefs on the Bible, it’s just that I haven’t taken the time to look up all the proof texts for my beliefs in order to include them in this paper. If you want proof, feel free to contact me and I’ll provide you with the Scriptural proof you request."

If you want the Scriptural references, then you can ask him for them.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That if fine as long as one does not believe the false doctrine of "free will" and thinks that man can contribute anything to being saved since salvation is ALL by the sovereign grace of God and NOTHING by creature man.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never mind