1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Confessions of Faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rebel1, Dec 24, 2017.

1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My experience is finite but likely greater than most's. I've moved a lot and visited many congregations. When I say many, I mean approx 75 (conservative evangelical). Of that group, only one, which held to the 1689, even mentioned a confession.

I've also been to PCA churches where the Westminster is used unashamedly, but if I ever dared mentioned a confession to a Baptist I have come across (with few exceptions), The old, "man-made, no creed but Christ" song and dance was what I was greeted with.

The only folks who seemed open to the idea were Reformed and in my part of the country, Christians are and Reformed ones are nearly extinct, which is why I attend a PCA church. There are no Reformed Baptist communities near me.

Funny that they have no problem taking in a Baptist, but I get grief on this board. . .

#21 thatbrian, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  2. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not the doctrine I take issue with. My point was regarding that particular term. People use it as if it were a biblical quote. That's my objection.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's almost funny. You've visited PCA churches that affirm the Westminster Confession, yet hardly one in a hundred actually believes in it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I miss your point and the joke.

5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The term is derived from the preponderance of the biblical evidence, much like the terms "Trinity" or "Hypostatic Union". Nowhere in the bible is God called transcendent, but we know that He is. So, whether we call it "believers baptism" or "professor-only baptism" the terms rightly describe the biblical view. I am not sure what you are objecting to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a staff member on a Reformed message board that is owned and governed by Presbyterians. I have learned a lot about our Presbyterian brethren and their different denominations. The PCA does have some faithful churches, but they are on the slippery slope of abandoning their founding principles. No denomination or individual church is immune from the attacks of theological liberalism. Semper Vigilans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may not take issue with it, but do you agree with it?

8. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like to refer to it like the Bible does: Baptism.

I might seem to be making a big deal about that, but modifying terms isn't a good idea, even if/when it agrees with my doctrinal position.

9. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is, of course, your preference. Unfortunately, the Church has split over so many doctrines that drilling down on terms is almost a necessity. And it's not modifying terms. To modify is to change. Calling biblical baptism "believers baptism" is not modifying baptism. The only proper recipients of baptism are professed believers. That is my view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not funny at all. You don't hold to credobaptism, so why shouldn't they accept you?

I also would suggest that you get "grief" on this board because you want to cause it.

#30 rsr, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You use the same unflattering tactics that your spiritual ancestors used -- hurling charges of Pelagianism to discredit those who disagree with you. Very unbecoming, and dishonest. Even Pelagius himself was not "Pelagian" in the sense that you and those like you use it.

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @thatbrian is this true? I am not accusing you of anything, but if the charge is true it is good to know to add context to any future discussions on Baptist issues. Do you believe that professed believers are the only proper recipients of baptism, i.e. credobaptism?

13. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Untrue.

I hold a higher view of baptism than many, but at least one more here on BB refers to baptism as a means of grace, and I don't see any biblical evidence that its purpose is for the believer to make a "public profession".

Understand this, I live in a part of the country in which there are very, very few Reformed churches, so I've out of necessity, been in a few PCA churches, and have friends in the PCA. I'm truly glad that I have been forced into such a position because I have been enriched by my experience with these people. They are not the devils some here make them out to be.

Church polity and who gets baptized are not doctrines that I argue about or would die over. I have opinions on them, but they are not as strongly held as other views I have. The gospel is primary, and I would die on that hill. Many other things that divide Reformed brothers, I don't get worked up into a lather over.

#33 thatbrian, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  14. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So then, you believe the only proper recipients of baptism are those who profess faith in Jesus Christ, correct? I am just looking for a straight answer.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought I gave a straight answer.

I do; however, I do not condemn those who think otherwise. I see this issue as unnecessarily dividing the body of Christ, frankly.

#35 thatbrian, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll say. From a month ago:

"Thatbrian" explains more regarding the PCA and his view regarding infant baptism here:

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And here:

18. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You never actually said "I do" until your last post. Forgive me, but my antenna is always up. I parse words to make sure I understand what someone is saying when it comes to important doctrinal issues.

I do not condemn paedobaptists, although I think they are wrong - seriously wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Brother,

I am not aware if you know it or not, but there are definitive differences between "creeds, confessions, and catechisms." Don't you know?

rd

20. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course I know. Nobody said they're the same.