1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Congratulations Dr. Maurice Robinson!

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Jun 8, 2014.

1. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

You know, there is an interesting story behind how Dr. Robinson became a professor at SEBTS even before the conservative Dr. Patterson arrived. Back then, a faculty committee had to approve each new faculty member, and in general they only approved like-minded ones (i.e., not conservative ones). But on the committee was Dr. Robinson's major professor for his Th.M., and he couldn't bring himself to reject Robinson out of professional courtesy. There was another who voted against. I'm not sure who cast the deciding vote. Perhaps the late faculty dean Dr. Russ Bush, the first of the conservatives to enter SEBTS in a long time. Anyway, the choice of Dr. Robinson, an SEBTS alumnus for both M.Div. and Th.M., and especially having a good reputation with his major professor who was on the committee to approve new faculty, was a very shrewd move by Dr. Bush.

2. jonathan.borland

Dr. Robinson doesn't appreciate it when Bible software companies charge what he thinks is too high a price for resources that he has made available to them freely. For example, Logos charges $36.95 for the 2005 Byzantine GNT that he made available to the company for free. One reason they charge is because they have to program the text to work with their own Bible software platform and searching/tagging system. Depending on the number of man-hours it takes to do this, and also the number of copies they think they can sell, they set a price to try to break even at least and perhaps turn a profit. Bibleworks, on the other hand, constantly adds many of the same resources without raising its price a comparable amount. That said, I still hope that Accordance and Logos will get a chance to develop Robinson's materials for those of us who use those platforms. (I use Accordance). Will they be first in line? Probably not. But hopefully they will become available eventually in as many platforms as possible!

3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cool story!

4. jonathan.borland

Apparently seminary rules wouldn't allow President Drummond or Dean Bush to veto a unanimous faculty vote against a new faculty appointment, but a handful out of 40 or so professors voted in favor of Robinson, and that was enough to allow an administrative override. To God be the glory!

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This made Dr. Robinson the token conservative right? :smilewinkgrin:

6. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though its not related to SEBTS directly, SBTS did a documentary about Mohler and the conservative resurgence. Pretty good. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

http://vimeo.com/76963904

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he seeks to return batists do the reformed hertigage of many of their roots, at least in regards to Sotierology proper!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So would he had been welcomed at staff at say DTS, where they hold to the CT as being the best one to use?

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, there have been leading Majority text people at DTS in the past, Zane Hodges and Arthur Farstad, who edited the Greek NT According to the Majority Text. Nowadays, though, Daniel Wallace is such a strong and influential voice for the CT, it would no doubt be hard for Dr. Robinson to be hired there.

On the other hand, at SEBTS Dr. Robinson is the first and only Byzantine/Majority advocate to the best of my knowledge. However, I'm impressed with the scholarly open-mindedness at SEBTS. They seem pretty proud of Dr. Robinson there, as witness the announcement on their website (linked to in the OP).

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would think that a Seminary would actuallt want to have both positions advocated for, in order to have the students actually see why both sides take the viewpoints they do!

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been informed that of the Greek faculty at SEBTS, David Lanier is pro-Byzantine, but Kostenberger is anti-Byzantine. David Alan Black is a Sturz-type eclectic, but David Beck is on the fence.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As my above post on the Greek faculty shows, the Greek faculty at SEBTS only has two out of 5 who are pro-Byz., one who is anti-Byz., a Sturz eclectic and a fence sitter, which is a good balance for your point here, but certainly not Byz.-only.

DTS is a different ball game, with Daniel Wallace being such a leader nowadays among pro-Alexandrian textual critics. They might have been willing to hire Dr. Robinson back when Zane Hodges and Arthur Farstad were on the faculty, but nowadays it would be problematic. Dr. Wallace has been somewhat outspoken and even dismissive in his anti-Byz. position.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is surprising, as I believe that the latest Nestrle-Aland Greek text actually restored back some Bzt readings, as they were seen as being perhaps the better varients in some cases!

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dan Wallace wouldn't necessarily agree with UBS 4 on such readings. What I've read by him seems to put him somewhat more pro-Alexandrian than even Metzger, but I can't prove that.

Sturz's work helped give confidence even to some eclectics that Byz. readings were more ancient than previously thought. David Alan Black calls the position that the text-types are equally old the "Reasoned Conservatism (H. A. Sturz)" position in New Testament Textual Criticism: A Concise Guide" (p. 38), and that tribe has increased.

#34 John of Japan, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
  15. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I are parta that tribe :D

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep studying until you come to the eternal verity of Byzantine Priority :saint: :smilewinkgrin:

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, SEBTS is really eclectic. ;-)

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice try. ; } I called Dr. Black an eclectic, but his own term is "reasoned conservative" on the lines of Sturz, who was not an eclectic. So if we follow Dr. Black's terminology (which I should have done), Kostenberg is the only eclectic, but there are two Byz. Pri. men and one fence sitter.

Dr. Black accepts both the Johannine Comma and the longer ending of Mark, which is unheard of in eclectics. So, if you'll allow me I'll take back my classification of Dr. Black as eclectic. (I used that term because someone had used it to me about him, I dis-remember who.)

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I meant was that SEBTS has an eclectic group of New Testament scholars. I even added a smiley face. I wasn't making a comment about a particular textual priority.

20. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yay SEBTS!!!

Gonna be a grad after this summer!!!!