1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Conservatives Turning Cool Towards Rudy

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 3, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jason Wright of politicalderby.com was on Fox News Channel this morning and stated that at CPAC the reaction to Guiliani's introduction was loud but that by the end of his speech the crowd had turned rather cold toward him.

On the other hand, Wright reported that the reaction to Romney's introduction was subdued but that by the end of his speech the crowd was cheering loudly.

I am not surprised. Expect to see Guiliani drop in the polls and maybe even out of the race by December.

LINK: http://politicalderby.com/category/media/

#1 KenH, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romney's membership in a 19th century cult that teaches that he himself can become a god in charge of a planet puts him out of the race. Also, his $500,000,000 is a handicap in that he is too rich.

McCain's campaign also is in bad shape for lack of money and support.

Rudy's problems are that he must promise to support the GOP platform and be a true representative of the GOP majority, which I think that he will do because he is loyal to the GOP, the basis for his popularity with the rank and file Republicans. Also, he provides an opposite choice in the war in Iraq from Hillary and the Democrats.

3. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I doubt he will drop out, he is the current adminstration and the current GOP leaderships choice for 2008. I remember posting that he would be the GOP's man for 2008 on a different thread here back in November of 2004:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=483462&postcount=17

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any "conservative" who considers voting/supporting Guiliani needs to rethink calling themselves a conservative. No true conservative would ever support such a clear liberal.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, promise to support a bunch of stuff that he has historically been against.

Guiliani is not a conservative and I think that you are smart enough to recognize that, cmg.

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I do not see anyone to vote for.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best choice from a Christian viewpoint is Congressman Ron Paul.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Ann Coulter (whom I find quite obnoxious) was speaking to the Conservative Union in Washington yesterday and made the comment that if we have both major candidates that are pro abortion, it is time for this country to hang it up. There is some truth in that.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That wouldn't be time to hang it up. It would just be a clear signal to conservative Christians and other social conservatives that their voting for the lesser of two evils stategy is no longer viable and that they will have to start voting for what they support.

10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no conservative candidate. Rudy is a moderate. His popularity with the GOP is that he contradicts the Democrats on the war against terror.

Look for the CP to nominate Ron Paul as one of their own in spite of his stance on abolition of the death penalty and his stance in favor of states rights on abortion and same-sex marriage because of his repudiation of the war in Iraq and his isolationist foreign policy.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, there's no point in following the U.S. constitution.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There will be if Congressman Ron Paul officially declares his candidacy.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it looks like Guiliani's 15 minutes of fame as a GOP darling for 2008 may be coming to an end.

Maybe he can run for U.S. Senate against Clinton in 2012.

14. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Giuliani's Children will not even support their own father. Andrew,21, prefers to focus on his golf game and to pursue a professional career in that sport. Sounds like this young man has his head on straight and his priorties in the right place.

15. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

I think you are right, Ken.
    Rudy has WAY too much baggage, and is going to be raked over those proverbial coals before the primaries even get started.

Hope you are well, Ken - I was in Arkansas just a few weeks ago, and very seriously thought about stopping by and taking you up on that offer of calling on you,
    BiR (in Tampa)

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope you are well, also, BiR. One of these times when you are passing through if you have the time and I am not tied up at the office maybe we can enjoy a meal together at a restaurant.

17. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

You most certainly have a deal, on one condition:
    no discussion of politics!

:laugh:

A sincere wish that God is Blessing you and your family,
    BiR

18. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Agreed, he sure is a smoothy though, and he'll draw many conservative votes.

19. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not giving up yet on the GOP. We still have Ron Paul, we could resurrect George Allen. I would vote for Newt, in a lessor of two evils deal, though with confidence in his abilities. There were one or two more, but they escape me now. We have a long way to go still.

I do see the GOP gently leaving the Christian right behind.

20. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    George Allen lost his election. There isn't much confidence in him. Newt has as many negatives as anyone else. Ron Paul really deviates from GOP thought on several issues and repudiates GOP foreign policy.

The GOP is not leaving the Christian right behind. They have failed once again to field a candidate. Let's see, they had Reagan and then no one else.

The Christian right controls the platform, the nuts and bolts of the party. What will happen is that the moderates will agree to accept the platform of the Christian right and not push their own viewpoints. That is when Rudy will shine because he is popular and cheerful. He already accepts GOP foreign policy, is well-experienced as former Mayor of the greatest city in the world, and has the behind-the-scenes help of the President.

Romney believes that someday he will be a god in charge of a planet. McCain has gone on record as saying that Christians are intolerant. That is the reason that Rudy is at 44% and 20 points ahead of everyone else.

No, Hillclimber, the Christian right will not be left out, but we will dictate the terms of Rudy's election.