1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Considering PhD studies? Check this out!!!

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all who have an ear (or interest!).

I am a frequenter of the "Said at Southern" blog. It is a blog for the students of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. I have asked one of the "young'uns" to do a book review for John A. Broadus: A Living Legacy, put it on the "Said" web page, in order to get some exposure.

I would like to address your attention to another blog that was hyperlinked to the "Said" page. A young brother is considering doing PhD work. He gives some very good advice to all who are there with some links to some other very good articles. Check it out if this is where you are:

http://www.goingtoseminary.com/thinking-about-postgraduate-studies/

Get back with comments when possible.

"That is all!":thumbsup:

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rhetorician responds to Rhetorician

To all who would even consider the PhD program in Religion/Theology/Church History/or correlative field:

Here is another blog spot that may be better than the one above. If you can honestly say "yes" to these inquiries from a professor in the fields then you MAY be able to do academic doctoral work.

Check it out and get back to me. This should engender much talk:

http://stackblog.wordpress.com/thinking-about-a-phd/

"Stay by the stuff!":thumbsup:

3. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

That article is nothing less than intellectual snobbery :laugh:

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not necessarily true. I thought it was an even-handed attempt to provide the truth regarding doctoral studies. The reality is that the vast majority of individuals are not capable of PhD work. This is not to say they are inferior or stupid. PhD work is just on a different "level." Those that are capable of PhD-level work may not have the necessary desire. PhD programs at respectable institutions require major time and financial commitments. Even a gifted student without a fervent desire for the work will not be able to finish the program.

Of course, the situation is slightly different for a pastor seeking further academic training without the intent on entering the academy. The rigor remains, but the job prospect quandary is not as daunting.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Here is a question...

If someone wants to teach at Seminary is a Ph.D completely necessary? Can you get a teaching position with a ThD, or a D. Min?

Just curious.

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ThD, yes. DMin- you need some solid-gold connections, a big name, or an extensive amount of experience in some area of practical theology. It's rare to see DMins teaching at seminaries.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The reason I ask is this>

I was looking at the Ph.D studies compared to the ThD. studies, and the thesis requirement seemed to be basically the same. What seems to be different, is that the Ph.D's in theology etc. have additional requirements like "Fluent in German or French, and Latin", etc.

8. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I was not serious... entirely ... didn't you see I was laughing, well that annoying little emoticon was any way. It was a good article.

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on the institution. For example, the ThD at Harvard is through the Divinity School and the PhD is through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. The curriculum is slightly different in focus, but both are research degrees.

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops! Sorry about that.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

One of my profs earned his ThD at Harvard Divinity School.

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Ivy League religious degrees...isn't that where these clowns from the Jesus Seminar hail from. How many of these guys are church planters, missionaries, soul winners?
    How many of these Ivy League trained preachers are serving in evangelistic missionary supporting churches?
    Somehow in my redneck mind I see these guys preaching to a bunch of pew potatoes in some old dead prestigious church to a bunch of blue noses. If you can't put the degree to work for the glory of God it is just another useless piece of paper I don't care where it came from. When compared for actual usefulness some of these less than wonderful schools might be looking a little better.

#12 Plain Old Bill, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  13. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I think that is an over generalization. But I DO see your point.

14. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

Its true in many cases. My former Pastor, Greg Boyd, www.gregboyd.org is an example of an Ivy League Ph.D. who preaches Christ, though he is undoubtedly more theologically "loose" than you would like. You should appreciate he teaches the inspired Word of God and Christ crucified and encourages people toward radical Kingdom Living.

15. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

Oh ya, and Woodland Hills Church is in the Baptist General Conference...

16. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Would that make it Calvinistic ?

17. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

No, that would make it Baptist :) ... sort of ...

The BGC has everything from Bethlehem Baptist in Minneapolis (John Piper, Calvinistic) to Woodland Hills Church (Greg Boyd, decidedly not Calvinistic)