1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Constitutional Lawyer: Yes, Obama’s Affordable Care Act Subsidy Provision Was Illegal

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There’s are a lot of liberals frothing at the mouth over the Trump administration’s decision to end the unconstitutional subsidies to insurance companies under the Affordable Care Act last week. The subsidies were given to insurance companies to help offset costs from lower-income individuals concerning deductibles and other out-of-pocket expenses. It's meant to prevent premium spikes. And the termination of this subsidy is not just a conservative view or action item, by the way. It’s the opinion of the courts, as the LA Times reported back in May of 2016–it’s unconstitutional:

House Republicans won Round 2 in a potentially historic lawsuit Thursday when a federal judge declared the Obama administration was unconstitutionally spending money to subsidize health insurers without obtaining an appropriation from Congress.

Last year, U.S. District Court Judge Rosemary Collyer broke new ground by ruling the GOP-controlled House of Representatives had legal standing to sue the president over how he was enforcing his signature healthcare law.

On Thursday, she ruled the administration is violating a provision of the law by paying promised reimbursements to health insurers who provide coverage at reduced costs to low-income Americans.

The judge's ruling, while a setback for the administration, was put on hold immediately and stands a good chance of being overturned on appeal.

Constitutional Lawyer: Yes, Obama’s Affordable Care Act Subsidy Provision Was Illegal

• Like Like x 1
  2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obama violated the law many times to keep obamacare going.

This is just one of them, but probably the worst.

3. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And from a different slant, whether Obamacare is constitutional or not (I don't believe it is), we're all discussing the way to feed a ravenous beast. It's probably no exaggeration to say that 70% of medical treatment which are primarily drugs, tests, tests and more tests, and also unneeded surgeries are what takes away from the remaining 30% needed stuff. They all get lumped together. And that said, there's only so much medical can do for the 30%. Lop off that 70% and things will be peachy again. This will not only tackle the medical/pharmaceutical world, but the food industry as well who are bent on processing the stuff to our hurt (and then have the gall to demonize meats, eggs and butter in favor of some artificially made contraption as being more "healthy"). Heck, a 50+-year-old man can't go to the doctor any longer for something simple like a cold without the doctor pressuring him to take medications for something else, to telling him he will need lots of tests. And if the guy says he is otherwise feeling quite fine, the doctor will proceed to tell him how sick he really is and probably will die soon if he's not on these meds. So who is milking the system here? All this has to change. Tackling these big industries is no easy task, and worse yet, to teach the indoctrinated public that pills, tests and surgeries are not the fix although they probably try to talk the doctor into doing just that. I fear this is more than we can unravel. My frustration is when I'm minding my own business but then I'm dragged into this mess forcefully by the rest.