1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Contact evangelism vs. Friendship evangelism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not an attack on you at all. Just stating what you have told us and comparing it to biblical evangelism.

This is, after all, the topic of the thread. An man who lives like the lost cannot effectively evangelize the lost because his life invalidates his words.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Definitely an attack on me. Your post is one example.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You believe it is an attack on you because the shoe fits (they are, in fact, your shoes). But I'm using you as an example of the false preachers Paul spoke of who proclaimed the gospel out of false motives. Hopefully your words will become seeds for an evangelist to water. The concern, however, is that you can also damage the witness of other people who are genuine disciples engaged in making more genuine disciples.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mark Corbett

Mark Corbett Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for sharing this. It gives context to a newcomer like me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the town I worked in as a police officer, I encountered two street preachers that I would consider memorable. One stood on the most populated corners and screamed at the top of his lungs about Hell, sinners, Gods wrath, etc. All I ever heard from the community about him was how offensive and how much of a turn off he was.

The other street preacher had a huge wooden cross that he simply drug around town on his shoulder. Up and down the sidewalks and the streets. Day after day. He would not even speak uunless he was spoken to. People viewed him as genuine and caring. His ministry was effective and he won converts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post. Bob Sumner is an old friend of our family. Somewhat hard-boiled, shall we say ;), but a good man and a solid soul-winner and evangelist.

Adrian Rogers' wife wrote a great biography of him: Love Worth Finding (The Life of Adrian Rogers and his Philosophy of Preaching), by Joyce Rogers. His influences were Rice, Appleman, Graham, Criswell, R. G. Lee, etc. (p. 123).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But this is not the whole story. It is not a matter of simply proclaiming and God drawing. This is an over simplification of the matter. I noticed you still have not dealt with what Paul said in Corinthians let me remind you:

1Co 9:19 For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them.
    1Co 9:20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law.
    1Co 9:21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.
    1Co 9:22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.
    1Co 9:23 I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.

There is a responsibility on our part beyond just proclaiming. How we approach people is important. Desiring to see some fruit and the disciple them is important.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he is able to deem posts that he cannot refute as an "attack" then he feels he can ignore that which he has no response for.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you go to the op hit report and in that format ask them to close it they will

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our brother seems to equate God main thrust being saving souls, but Jesus seemed to indicate that it was to mature those now saved!

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hadn't thought of it like that before, but you are right. Jesus' commandments are for the Church and once the gospel is proclaimed the work becomes one of discipling those to whom the gospel has proved the power of salvation. I think that there needs to be an emphasis on the Church here (and local church membership). Scripture assumes that the believer is one who has been "added to the Church", to the "Body". But in our culture we seem to hold religion as an individualistic thing.

As believers we need to oppose street evangelism that is isolated from a church body, and I believe this for a couple of reasons. First, without the accountability of a local church there exists no oversight on doctrine and no objective evaluation on effectiveness. A "lone wolf" street preacher assumes that God has both gifted and commanded him to work apart from the body, which assumes the gifts necessary for the Kingdom work and given to the Body as a whole do not apply to his "ministry". We all need oversight...someone to give us feedback on what we are teaching and someone to whom we are accountable. In Christianity this is the local body of believers to whom we belong. Second, we are commanded to disciple. Discipleship is not done thorough the efforts of one person alone. God has commanded us as individuals to witness to other individuals, in both word and deed. But God has not granted one person the gifts to function as the Body of Christ. Instead this falls on the congregation. Third, a "lone wolf" evangelist is isolated from the Body. This can only spell trouble as discipleship is a lifelong process for the evangelist as well. Cutoff from the "building up" and support of the church (the spiritual nourishment of the Body) the preacher is bound to fail as his/her work becomes more about his/her ministry and less about the Kingdom (which is corporate). And forth, such isolated evangelism deprives the local church of participating in kingdom work.

Biblical evangelism is church-wide evangelism as the evangelist(s) represents the effort of the church body - to include "discipling" those reached with the gospel message.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The basic principle seems to be that God evangelizes outside the church building, and teaches/matures within it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.