1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Continue Church Membership?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by franklinmonroe, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love R.C., though I am not in agreement with all he holds to. But without question one of the best teachers available to us.

The quote just stuck a chord with me, and I think it is a powerful statement.

I only see one primary function in the earthly list, that it is just an affirmation you guys have not given up on him. While it may eventually turn out he doesn't remain in your fellowship, to take him off the list would speak volumes, and the damage it could do perhaps irreparable. People are weak, and I know more than a few who forsake assembling with the brethren solely because of the people they have had association with. But if he knows you guys have recognized his sin and you are leaving that sin in a category which is normal for all of us, because we all sin, rather than taking a position "Well at this point we can't be sure you are saved at all," then he might also be able to understand that any of us can fall, but that doesn't mean...game over.

Many members of the Church take to heart what others think, and because they are weak (which is a good assumption with your fellow there, judging by his circumstances), they let what other people think or say impact them on a level they shouldn't. I am sure this guy has to some extent been doing some soul searching, and the impact you have in that process will most likely make the difference.

I was listening to a message the other day, and the Pastor was speaking about a fellow who had a problem with his temper, and served two years for involuntary manslaughter because he got into an altercation with his manager and during the fight the manager fell on something, was impaled through his head, and died immediately. Today, he is a serving member of the Body of Christ. That could have gone both ways.

So I just encourage you guys to show him that this is an issue of sin, not salvation, and that you have confidence that God will use this for his better interest, and who knows what He is doing for you guys in that process.

And that is the basic principle we are taught in Scripture. We will receive mercy according to how we have it with others. This is the character of God He wishes to breed in all of us, I believe.

God bless.

2. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a legitimate question and concern. Nothing wrong with being concerned how Christ is impacted by the membership. If the man had not been caught and prosecuted, and still a member of the church, without question I would say throw him out on his ear. But the circumstances are such where the sin has been dealt with according to Scripture (Romans 13:3-4), and in view is not an assumption of the eternal perspective, but the temporal.

God bless.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgive my impertinence, your holiness.

4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist