1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Control Freak" Televangelist

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Linda64, May 15, 2008.

1. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

(CBS) CBS News producer Laura Strickler wrote this story for CBSNews.com.

"Control Freak" Televangelist

As the Televangelist Kenneth Copeland continues to defy a Senate Finance investigation, internal ministry documents shed new light on how Copeland runs his $100 million church.
    Church bylaws obtained exclusively by CBS News say Copeland is "empowered to veto any resolution of the Board" concentrating all key decision-making power in the televangelist.

The bylaws indicate the president of the board is Copeland but Copeland’s family members also play a critical role. His wife is the vice president. The senior pastor, secretary and treasurer roles are filled by Copeland’s son-in-law. The operations vice president and CEO slots are both filled by Kenneth Copeland’s son, John. Other documents previously obtained by CBS indicate in addition to family members there are ten other members of the church’s board.

"My first reaction was that Kenneth Copeland was a control freak," says William Josephson, the former head of New York State’s Charities Bureau after reviewing the Kenneth Copeland Ministries bylaws.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/21/cbsnews_investigates/main4033537.shtml

There's nothing new under the sun!

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont think I have a problem with him having full veto power. The problem would come in when he could spend money with no oversight. I know, I know; with his wife and family as the main board members...

3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't see anything wrong legally, and in our society we are free to support what ever (or not support) church we like. As long as people continue to support Copeland, he'll enjoy the wealth, I suspect.

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is paying big bucks for these top notch lawyers. It was pointed out to me that the reason he would want to keep this in the IRS jurisdiction is because IRS records are not open to the public in the same way regular court documents are open. I don't know the particulars, but I trust my lawyer friend. Also from a PR stance, he is now able to say "No Comment, pending legal proceedings" to every legitimate question not from the IRS. But still allowed to put up a website and call attention to his "plight" and raise money for the cause of defeating those trying to bring him down in the mean time. How slick is that!?!

He lives out his theology (which is really nothing more then the same thinking the Pharisees had in Jesus' time; I'm rich because God agrees with me and blesses me, you're poor because God doesn't agree with you and won't bless you) and that should not surprise us in the least. You have to think that at some point he and people like him who abuse the law are going to cause a backlash against all tax exempt organizations resulting in nobody being tax exempt! He could win the battle on this one and keep his plane and fancy cars, but end up losing the war.