1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Conversion Vs Born Again

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do Monergists place regeneration before repentance and faith? Keep in mind that soteriology does not stand independent of pneumatology or harmartiology. Monergistic theology believes the Bible teaches that man is completely fallen in all his facilities, i.e. spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1). Therefore, the sinner is incapable of saving faith unless made capable by God (Ephesians 1:4-5). The Holy Spirit is responsible for this.

Now, all of this happens instantaneously. God doesn't have a celestial stopwatch measuring how much time it takes for a person to come to faith. However, there's is a logical order to salvation. It is not a theological mess that just comes together in the right way. It also effects our practice. I can state my evangelism efforts have been impacted. I spend much more time communicating the Gospel and less time pushing for a decision. Why? Because the Gospel is the means of salvation (Romans 1:17), not the sinners prayer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. Agent47

Agent47 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They are synonyms

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No they are not

4. Agent47

Agent47 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Please distinguish them for me. Try that without any scriptures at first, I will ask for references if I find it necessary

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All right, Conversion is a change in belief or the course of one's life. Regeneration is a change in one's nature. The means of conversion is primarily the Gospel. The means of regeneration is solely the work of God's Spirit and because of the distinct nature of the two, regeneration must come first. They may be experienced simultaneously, but even then the cause or means of each remains distinct as indicated above. Regeneration makes children of God; conversion causes children of God to become Christians. Regeneration brings people into a saving relationship with God; conversion then brings them into a serving relationship to Him.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well we know according to scripture Peter was regenerated when this was said but what did Jesus mean when he said it?... Brother Glen:)

Luke 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

22:32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glenn dear friend, how bout we take a look at what a dear brother John Gill said.

and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren:

Peter was now a converted man, and had been for some years; but whereas he would fall by temptation into a very great sin of denying his Lord, and which was attended with such circumstances as made him look like an unconverted, and an unregenerate man; his recovery by the fresh exercise of faith in Christ, and repentance for his sins, is called conversion: and which was not his own act, but owing to the power and efficacy of divine grace; see ( Jeremiah 31:18 ) . Some versions render it in the imperative, "in time, convert, turn, or return, and strengthen thy brethren"; as the Syriac, Arabic, and Persic versions: as he afterwards did: for whereas all the disciples forsook Christ, and fled, some one way, and some another, Peter, after his recovery, got them together again, and returned with them to Jerusalem; when they with him assembled together, till the third day Christ was risen: he strengthened their faith in the Messiah, and put them upon filling up the place of Judas, by choosing another apostle; and on the day of "Pentecost" preached a most excellent sermon, which as it was made useful for the conversion of three thousand sinners, was, doubtless, a means of confirming the minds of the disciples; and he has left two exceeding useful epistles for the strengthening of his brethren in all ages of time; the design of which is to establish the saints in faith and holiness, that they may not be drawn aside, and fall from the steadfastness of their faith, either by the lusts of the flesh, or by the persecutions of men, or by the error of the wicked.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of my favorite writers and commentators!... Well Steve there you have it!... Few argue with John Gill... Glen:Thumbsup

• Like Like x 1
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be well brother... you and Pam have a enjoyable 4th!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and Pam too!... Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FYI... Elder Glenn Blanchard sends me weekly updates and a church bulletin. Pam and I are blessed!