1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Correcting the Bible on the Fly

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Mr Mike, Mar 1, 2005.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I guess you could say that the preacher didn't see who's going to hell.

2. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Sui Wei...

I'd just assume skipping the middleman and be a better informed Berean believer like God commanded. But to each his own. As far as the new Bible formats you mentioned, I remember seeing one in the bookstore about 6 months ago and at first thought they were just a Devotional type magazine. Once i opened it up, I saw that they had actually formatted the Bible with the commentary not at the bottom in footnotes, but all over the pages just like the type of reading material kids read otherwise (i.e. magazines). I thought that was a pretty novel idea. I could imagine a couple of scenarios where this might be a good tool. A young girl brings a copy into school and leaves it lying out in the magazine rack in the library. Since it fits in fine, the thought police don't bother to remove it (They don't know it contains the words that can bring life to the soul ;) ) Another young teen comes up looking for something to read and WHAM... here you have someone who if they had seen HOLY BIBLE imprinted on a 8 X 10 2 inch thick leather bound book, they would have avoided it like the plague, but instead they have this "magazine" open and flip to a page where these "advice" columns that are derived from the scriptures make sense. All of a sudden you have a teen that realizes God's word is as alive today as the day it was penned.

Anyway that’s just a scenario

What is it you (Sui Wei) and Jim particularly find deplorable about the magazine/Bible??? Also I went to a site about a month ago that was bashing these Bibles also and as usual they were taking everything out of its context so that it sounded like the Bible was promoting pre-marital sex, drug use, and rebellion... Let your conscience be your guide if you decide to use this material without verifying it first.

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Mr. Mike;

Although your scenario has some kind of merit on a level of human reasoning, you will find that God has a much different point of view concerning the things which are holy unto Him.

Le 22:32
    Neither shall ye profane my holy name; but I will be hallowed
    among the children of Israel: I am the LORD which hallow you,

Eze 22:26
    Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things:
    they have put no difference between the holy and profane,
    neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean,
    and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

Eze 44:23
    And they shall teach my people the difference between the holy
    and profane, and cause them to discern between the unclean and
    the clean.

profane

PROFA'NE, a. L. profanus; pro and fanum, a temple.

1. Irreverent to any thing sacred; applied to persons.
    A man is profane when he takes the name of God in vain,
    or treats sacred things with abuse and irreverence.

2. Irreverent; proceeding from a contempt of sacred things,
    or implying it; as profane words or language; profane swearing.

3. Not sacred; secular; relating to secular things; as profane history.

4. Polluted; not pure.

Nothing is profane that serveth to holy things.

5. Not purified or holy; allowed for common use; as a profane place.
    Ezek.42. and 48.

6. Obscene; heathenish; tending to bring reproach on religion;
    as profane fables. 1 Tim.4.

Profane is used chiefly in Scripture in opposition to holy,
    or qualified ceremonially for sacred services.

PROFA'NE, v.t. To violate any thing sacred, or treat it with abuse,
    irreverence, obloquy or contempt; as, to profane the name of God;
    to profane the sabbath; to profane the Scriptures
    or the ordinances of God.

1. To pollute; to defile; to apply to temporal uses;
    to use as base or common. Ezek.24.

2. To violate. Mal.2.

3. To pollute; to debase.Lev.21.

4. To put to a wrong use.

Once you understand how God views that which is holy unto Him, You will develope a much higher view of His Scriptures.
    Perhaps this is not your intent, and I appreciate that, but the end result is that this is exactly what this "magazine format" does to the Scriptures.

In HIS service;
    Jim

4. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

you will find that God has a much different point of view concerning the things which are holy unto Him

Doesn't stop the KJV-onlyists from trashing his Word, so why worry about it, Jim?

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

In HIS service;
    Jim

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Just another KJV-only double standard, Jim, nothing you shouldn't be used to by now.

7. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nehemiah 8:8
    So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading. (KJV 1769)

The Bible magazines try to do just that in one volume. If you have a problem with this, then you need to get rid of every study bible and quit highlighting and writing in your Bible like you do other textbooks, ect. The Bible was meant to be understood by everyone. If someone does not, then we need to find a way to teach them.

By the way, that is the reason that the Roman Catholic Church hunted down and killed William Tyndale. He had the audacity to translate the scriptures into that common, perverse language called English thereby profaning the Holy Latin scriptures (written in the language of heaven).

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I personally don't know ANY KJVo-ists who trash God's words. Perhaps you do. Be that as it may, I wonder why it is ok to TRASH your brethren who may be KJVo suporters?
    Do two wrongs make a right? I have seen this over and over again on this board.

Speaking of double standards; I have seen it go both ways here, so let's not get so selective shall we? I think the PROPER thing to do would be to address individuals specifically who may or may not be guilty of this rather than painting with such a broad brush.

Agreed?

In HIS service;
    Jim

BTW, when you see ME guilty of this, please point it out and I will TRY to correct it.

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

av1611jim said:

I personally don't know ANY KJVo-ists who trash God's words.

Only because you and your buddies define anything not-the-KJV as "not God's words."

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Care to prove that assertion?
    NAME all of my buddies. We will start there.

Then to prove you don't know what you are talking about, NAME their occupations.

I'll even make it easy on you. At least NAME the towns they live in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Thank you, Jim. I take your sudden (though not unexpected) red herring demand that I "name names" as prima facie evidence that I was right about you, and hardcore KJV-onlyism in general.