1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cortisone Shot for Lower Back Pain

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by saturneptune, Jul 27, 2012.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Three years ago at age 57, I thought I was the picture of health. One day I was sent to the hospital because I could not mow more than two or three swipes of the yard without stopping, nor could I carry boxes up the stairs to the attic. After a heart cath, I underwent a six way bypass the next day.

In addition to that, fifteen years ago, I was helping our pastor move. Three of us tackled a grand piano on a second floor. I picket the piano up wrong, and hurt my lower back around the S1-S2 joint. Over the years, it has gotten worse and worse. One of the medicines I have been taking was lortab for the back and the sternum that did not heal correctly. Finally, after a doctor's advice, I got a cortisone shot. It takes 24-72 hours to relieve the pain. It has been less that 24 hours, and I feel better than I have in years.

I would appreciate any experience anyone has had with similar shots. How long did it last? If you were on pain medicine before the shot, did you stop or reduce the medicine? How often do you take the shot? Have you tried any different types of shots?

Thanks again.

2. leesw

leesw Member

Hi,

I didn't have a cortisone shot for my lower back, but I had 3 bulging discs and one herniated.

At the encouragement of my chiropractor, I ended up having laser spine surgery from North American Spine in Dallas, TX. It has given me my life back that's for sure.

My dad had a cortisone show in his wrist and the results were temporary for him. But his doctor said that what the cortisone shot does is remove the inflammation so it has a chance to heal on its own. So I hope that's the case for you. If not, I can only speak to my experience with laser surgery and it's been wonderful. The pain is gone and I thank God for that.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I herniated L4 and L5. I received the shots in my lower back and it did nothing for me. I have heard from some who experienced the same thing and others who said it helped tremendously. I have never heard of any bad experiences.