1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cost of Education

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh no that is the interpretation you need to impose on me. Your premise is false, the premise being that if one does not want "help" through government agency then they do not want to help at all. Such premises lack integrity and credibility.

In fact it is the most dishonest post in this thread.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    CTB,

The OP looks like it could have been an interesting topic (should we follow those nations in restricting but providing for higher education or should we allow economic factors to determine these things). But I take it you did not start this thread to engage the topic but to merely forward an agenda. In the off chance I am wrong, I'll ask again - are you saying that the US should follow the examples of those nations even though it will diminish opportunity for many while making those denied an education pay for the tier qualified for college?

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How would it diminish the opportunity while offering education to all. I do not understand what you are saying. In those countries who is being denied an education? Help me on this. Thanks.

We do not have to adopt their system of education, but we should make it possible for any student here who has the interest, motivation and intelligence to have a good education without putting either they or their families in deep debt.

I obtained state scholarships with the following provisos, either repay the state or work one year in education for each year of scholarship. Those scholarship were a very great help. My wife and I were very poor at that time.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it the governments responsibility to pay for your college?
    Whats wrong with saving your money and paying for it yourself?
    So you attend one year - work for a year - save - opps that's the problem - many Americans do not not now how to (or want to save) money.

I have a friend who receive an AA degree - courtesy fo the taxpayers. What is she doing nowadays - working at a manual labor job.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the OECD Germany has the second highest income tax burden of all OECD’s 34 countries (Belgium 55.5%, Germany 49.8%, Hungary and France (49.4%).

What about quality of education. Frieder Wolf (a political science professor at the University of Heidelberg) noted that while Germany lacks top-tiered schools what it offers is “reliable quality.” “With all due respect, American has the best colleges but it also has some of the worst…..where as in Germany basically most everybody who wants to go to an average college can go there and get a decent education.” (Marketplace article, March 31 by Kirk Carapezza and Mallory Noe-Payne, How German Higher Education Controls Costs).

So far the cost is an increased tax burden and a decrease high quality schools (but perhaps an elevation of lower quality schools).

So far, “free” = increased tax burden, loss of quality (perhaps a gain of “reliable quality”).

But you are saying make college free to everyone. Perhaps if our school system was structured so that we were not pushing everyone to college as there is absolutely no reason for many to attend (educational standards, career outlook, etc.). So let’s look at the German system.

In German schools, students attend together until the 4th grade (Grundschule). After this they are separated according to their academic ability (Hauptschule, Realschule, or Gymnasium). Hauptschule looks towards an apprenticeship program and vocational training. Realschule is leads to vocational schools. Gymnaisum prepares for university. Now students with high enough academics can switch from Realschule to Gymnasium. These are similar to tracks that we choose in high school, except they are chosen in elementary school and not by the students (except via exhibited potential/ability).

How do German citizens get to take advantage of this “free” education? Well, they apply. Whether or not they get in is simply based on the numerus clausus. For example, the University of Frankfort has a NC for it’s economics program of 1.9. About 2-3% achieve an abitur grade of 1, where as 12-30% fall between 1.0 and 1.9. This means that 70% of students graduating with an Abitur (which are the only ones going to college) would not qualify to study economics at the University of Frankfort regardless of cost not being a factor. The average grade is 3 (which translates to a "B", or a 3.0 GPA) which would typically exclude one from college. Interestingly enough, barely half of those who graduate even qualify for college excluding these scores. The minority who do qualify can attend, for "free," in the program for which they qualified.

Here are how we stand in the US: Average GPA in the U.S. is 3.0 (2.9 male, 3.1 female). The average “standard” requirement for full time admission (per Peterson’s company) remains 3.0 for many universities, but many accept lower GPA’s, some even fully rather than probationary. Here are a few averages: Johns Hopkins – 3.68, Bucknell – 3.49, University of Pennsylvania – 3.86. But many others, and most community colleges, have a GPA requirement of 2.5 (below average).

34% of students at open enrolled colleges graduated within 6 years. At colleges where the acceptance rate was less than 25%, this number increased to an 89% graduation rate. (National Center for Education Statistics).

Most of our students, if living in Germany today, would not qualify for college even though it were "free". But they would have the burden of paying for others.

So, if you are saying that we need to increase our entrance requirements for college (we have systematically lowered these requirements where I live….the lottery scholarship was even called “racist” for requiring a 3.0 GPA so it was lowered to 2.0) then I absolutely agree. We should have in place some type of scholarship for our brightest who cannot afford college as this would be to our mutual benefit. But we should not pay for below average students to attend college simply because they “want to.”

In summary (skip to here if you don't want to read the entire post) the OP presents a lie that many will believe. But the Democrat party is like a bad parent. They offer illusions that will fulfill the childlike desires in order to gain obedience. But again, I am willing for the government to provide scholarships for those highly qualified but unable to attend college. I think that this is a good idea. But the qualifications need to be raised. And no one should be attending college out of high school on someone else's dime with a GPA of 2.5. That's just plain dumb.....pun intended.

#25 JonC, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the cost in UK, Ireland, Ethiopia, Poland, Ukraine, Australia, New Zealand,.....?

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The article I listed referenced several "free" tuition countries that use a similar method, but I don't remember which ones. I only lived in Germany and knew some about their education system. I have always been a false in one false in all kinda guy when it comes to these things anyway. The op is a lie as it is deceptive. This is one reason I would never consider voting Democrat (my primary reasons are biblical ones). I'm also considering never voting Republican, but that's another story for another time.

Sent from my TARDIS

8. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Question: Where did the figure of $75k come from? Most in-state tuition and fees run around $10,000 per year. Community colleges are typically less than 1/3 of that. Are you suggesting that tax dollars should support private universities or provide free room/board as well?

Also, my state (and others) provide a significant scholarship to students that perform well in high school to attend an in state university. In addition, there is a pre-paid program where parents can pre-pay college tuition based on today's dollars - even on a monthly basis. We did that for both of ours. (But then again, what was I thinking -- thinking that it was my responsibility rather than the government's??)

Personally, I graduated from college with very little debt with little parental financial assistance (dad was a pastor) --- through a combination of a public university, work/study programs, living at home, part-time jobs and community college for some core courses.

9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tuition and fees is just the beginning of expenses. Let's just dwell on public universities are are less expensive than private universities.

Condensed from: http://www.collegedata.com/cs/content/content_payarticle_tmpl.jhtml?articleId=10064
    $11,516 Room and board
    $ 1,298 Books
    $ 3,215 Transportation
    $16,029 annual expense

$64,116 Total average cost for four years at a public university.

Those are good and I hope all states have these programs. All parents should join the pre-paid programs.

I also finished with no debt using the same methods as you. However, I must admit that expenses were much, much lower when I was in college. The average tuition in 1960 at the Wharton School, not the least expensive school around was:
    $1,250 Tuition and fees
    $1,000 Room and board.
    $ 100.00 Books and equipment
    $ 320.00 Personal expenses.
    $3,670 total for the year

$14,680 for four years.

Tuition at Wharton is now reported to be $78,870 per year.

My undergraduate work was at James Madison University. Costs there was not nearly $3,000 a year. Together my wife and I earned, in 1964 a whooping $4724.21. We paid all my college expenses and all our living costs out of the amount and even managed to save a bit ... and yes we tithed our gross income.