1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Could Christ Have Sinned? III

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Tsalagi, Jan 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "God is not a man, that He should lie; neither the son of man, that He should repent: hath He said, and shall He not do it? or hath He spoken, and shall He not make it good?" (Numbers 23:19). Yet Jesus calls Himself the Son of Man, and He certainly was a man as well as being God.

Let's agree that God does not lie, and He does not change His mind (repent). In John chapter 7 Jesus tells His brothers He is NOT going up to Jerusalem for the Feast of Booths (John 7:8-9). But then He DOES go (John 7:10). Did He lie, or did He change His mind? Either way, what do you do with Numbers 23:19?

2. Glerse

Glerse New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hmm....I'll research on that. Interesting. Nonetheless Jesus have not sinned.

3. Oseas3

Oseas3 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Focusing on Sanhedrin that was installed here for Judging JESUS through this topic "Could Christ Have Sinned?"

Unto all that have shared of this devilish Judgment :

Understand this:

No man knows the Son, but the Father, yeah, no man knows the Son, but the Father.

Are you all imagining be just as the Father, the only One who knows the Son?

The things you all have posted are but blasphemies.

The Word is God, yeah, the Word is God, He is from everlasting to everlasting, He has not beginning neither ending. The Son is the beginning and the ending, the Almighty.

4. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My understanding, it is a week long feast and when the brothers are taking off when it was near, The conversation starts with "Now the feast of the Jews, the Feast of Booths, was near."

"9Now having said these things to them, He stayed in Galilee."

He did stay, and stated his time wasn't ready at the time before he stayed.

5. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let's agree that God does not lie, and He does not change His mind (repent). In John chapter 7 Jesus tells His brothers He is NOT going up to Jerusalem for the Feast of Booths (John 7:8-9). But then He DOES go (John 7:10). Did He lie, or did He change His mind? from post #1

That's the way it reads in the NASB and perhaps some other translations but in the KJV:

Go ye up unto this feast:
    I go not up
    yet
    unto this feast;
    for my time is not yet full come.
    John 7:8

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arron

Again. I, know, no Greek, not much English grammar either for what it is worth for an old man.

From John 1:14 And the Word flesh, was made ( ἐγένετο G 1096 Second Aorist Middle Deponent Indicative - 3rd Person Singular )
    From Gal 4:4 sent forth the Son of him made ( γενόμενον G 1096 Second Aorist Middle Deponent Participle - Accusative Singular Masculine ) out of woman, made ( γενόμενον G 1096 Second Aorist Middle Deponent Participle - Accusative Singular Masculine ) under law

Could you relate and reconcile the usage of G1096 to Jesus of Nazareth as to time, tense and so forth?

What took place when the Word flesh, was made / became. Was at that moment in time the Son sent forth from the Father.

Just Who would you say is the Father of the Son of God? I would say the answer is found in the last seven Greek words of John 4:23 into the first three Greek words of 24.

7. Oseas3

Oseas3 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TO ALL~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keep in mind: JESUS did not lie, neither change His mind.

8. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I remember the passage correctly, His brothers were taunting Him to go and declare Himself to be the Messiah. Jesus responded He wouldn’t go because His time had not yet come.

So, He went in secret. He didn’t lie nor change His mind but was true to His statement that He wouldn’t declare Himself as Messiah at the festival.

peace to you

9. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I am not going up to this feast, for My time has not yet fully come.” --Jesus (v8)
    "But after His brothers had gone up to the feast, then He also went up, not publicly but in private." (v10)

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the passage in context.

peace to you

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The answer to the OP is still a firm NO!

12. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Context doesn't change the fact that Jesus said one thing and did another. To get at the point of the original question, let's set aside the possibility of a lie.

What makes you think Jesus could not change His mind? God commands all men everywhere to change their minds (Acts 17:30), so that action by itself is hardly a sin. Do you think it would be a sin for Jesus to change His mind about going to the feast in Jerusalem? If not, then what's the problem?

If Jesus' deity did not prevent Him from dying, why should it prevent Him from changing His mind?

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, the context of the passage is Jesus responding to His brother’s demand He go to the festival, perform miracles and show Himself to be Messiah. He says He won’t go because His time is not yet come.

In context, He says He won’t go to do those things, but He does go to teach.

I don’t see any reason to think He lied, or that He changed His mind.

peace to you

14. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oseas3 and others please read this again and then you can claim that you have found the abominable snowman (Yetti).

Go ye up unto this feast:
    I go not up

yet

unto this feast;
    for my time is not yet full come.
    John 7:8 KJV

15. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Yet" is not in the better NT manuscripts; that's why you don't find it in most modern English translations. It was added early on precisely because of discomfort with the suggestion that Jesus would say one thing and do another. Read Metzger's Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament note on this passage. The same papyrus that adds "yet" to this verse changes Mary's name to Martha or to "the sisters" in several verses; evidence of theological motivation at work. Details and photos here.

16. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No Yetti for you.

Then there is needed a theological escape from His lie, "I do not go up to the feast."

God cannot lie. Ooops.

Part of the story is missing and the ms or fragment which has it has not quite been found.

Jesus was human on earth so this distortion is not sin.

Moderns know better what the ancients did not.

From canadyjd, "In context, He says He won’t go to do those things, but He does go to teach."

#16 SGO, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  17. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God cannot die. Ooops.

18. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The man, Christ Jesus, in whom was found no sin, became sin for us: you, Tsalgi, and me, SGO,
    died for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No argument there. Not sure how it pertains to the discussion, but it's always something to praise God for.

20. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed praise to God.
    So saying He was not going to the feast (at first seemingly not going at all)
    is an error in translation no matter what documents were relied upon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.