1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Could Florida Beat Alabama and not make the BCS Championship Game?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, Nov 30, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Florida is not doing all that well in the computers in the BCS formula. I wonder if beating Alabama would get them over Texas. If not, and Oklahoma beats Missouri, then the BCS formula could result in a Texas - Oklahama rematch in the BCS Championship Game.

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think there's any way that the BCS could not have the winner of UF-AL be in the championship game. You either have #1 beating #4 or #4 beating #1. Personally, I'm pulling for an earthquake.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A national championship, or at least a spot in the big game, may be lost because of a single, unlikely play in the regular season, for both Florida and Texas. As to whether Florida (if they win Saturday) will pass Texas-- since we don't really know how these computer polls work, we don't know that. But we do know-- at this stage of the season-- the 'human' polls would be determined to put them as high as 2. Which may mean Alabama may drop to #4 or lower if they lose this game. In the much less likely event Oklahoma loses to Missouri, then the winner of AL/FL will probably be #1, and it will be between Texas and the loser of the SEC CG in the NCG, with USC a longshot-- though had OR St. beat OR, their chance would be better. Penn St. is a longer shot still-- and that's another case that doesn't seem really fair-- one loss by one point on a last-second FG, but their conference this year is ranked behind the Big 12, the SEC, and the Pac 10. It's easier to understand Texas Tech dropping behind the others-- at least by the human polls, which have a stronger bias against losing 'late'-- they were completely blown out late in the season.

This season could leave a poor lesson as its legacy: It's better to be beaten by 10 points and put up a quick- and high-scoring offense later that doesn't 'call off the dogs,' than to lose one game on one play and simply dominate the rest-- 'unbiased' computer polls or not.

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

SEC! SEC! SEC!The winner of the SEC title game will play for the national title. Just as it has for the past 4 years.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    4 years? It's only been the last 2 years.

BCS results:
    2007 LSU over Ohio St.
    2006 Florida over Ohio St.
    2005 Texas over USC
    2004 USC over Oklahoma
    2003 LSU over Oklahoma
    2002 Ohio St. over Miami
    2001 Miami over Nebraska
    2000 Oklahoma over Florida St.
    1999 Florida St. over Virginia Tech
    1998 Tennessee over Florida St.

Actually, 11 teams playing in the 10 National Championship Game may be surprising.

#5 Alcott, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2008
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

In answer to the OP, not likely.

Ed

7. Reformer

Reformer New Member

We'll never know.:D

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

AMEN AND AMEN:applause: :thumbs:

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

If Fla dominates that other team, then I can't see not putting FL in the title game. If that other team wins, it's moot since the #1 team in America has to go.

If FL just edges that other team, then it gets dicey, particularly if Okla just drills Missouri.

Style points, like it or not, are going to come into play here.

It's going to be interesting to see whether Percy Harvin plays or not, btw.

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I'm a Gator all the way but I would love to see OU and Texas at it one more time. I know it won't happen, but if OU wins that is about the only game I would pay to see. Two teams that are so much alike.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

OU/Texas would be an interesting national semifinal

12. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Yes, it would. That other Texas OU game is the only game that kept me watching the entire game this year. You know, you watch then do some yard work, watch then go out in the shop, watch the game and then read, but that game I just couldn't leave it.