1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Could Judas be in heaven?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by dianetavegia, Apr 22, 2005.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Could Judas have repented and accepted Christ as his TRUE Lord and Savior before killing himself out of remorse? Could Judas be in heaven?

Matt. 27:3 Then Judas, His betrayer, seeing that He had been condemned, was remorseful and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4 saying, "I have sinned by betraying innocent blood." And they said, "What is that to us? You see to it!" 5 Then he threw down the pieces of silver in the temple and departed, and went and hanged himself.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No. Being sorry for sin is not the same as actual repentance. Judas never showed true repentance. Jesus plainly said that it was better for that man if he had not been born.
    DHK

3. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Maybe he was not one of the called?

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

John Gill says that Judas may have died from something other than hanging himself. He cites a disease called the squinancy, or quinsy, a suffocation brought upon him by excessive grief, deep melancholy, and utter despair; when being choked by it, he fell flat upon his face, and the rim of his belly burst, and his entrails came out. This disease the Jews call (arkoa) , "Iscara"; and if it was what he was subject to from his infancy, his parents might call him Iscariot from hence; and might be designed in providence to be what should bring him to his wretched end: and what is said of this suffocating disorder, seems to agree very well with the death of Judas. They say , that
    ``it is a disease that begins in the bowels, and ends in the throat:''
    they call death by it, (her htym) , "an evil death" ; and say , that ``there are nine hundred and three kinds of deaths in the world, but that (arkoa Nlkbv hvq) , "the hardest of them all is Iscara"; which the Gloss calls "strangulament", and says, is in the midst of the body:''

they also reckon it, (hnwvm htym) , "a violent death"; and say, that the spies which brought a bad report of the good land, died of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Agree Dennis but we do not know the length of time before his death...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The 1599 Geneva Study Bible

Chapter 27

27:3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Geneva Study Bible uses 'he repented himself'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The People's New Testament says...
    The annals of men record no sadder history than that of Judas, impelled by avarice and resentment to betray his Master for money, and only to awake to the nature of his awful crime when it was too late. The language here suggests that Judas had hoped that the betrayed Jesus would deliver himself from his enemies. Repented himself. Not, in the Greek, the word used for "repent" in Acts 2:38, and elsewhere, but one that means, rather, remorse. The first means "to change the mind or purpose;" the other "to carry a burden of sorrow over the past." One promises a change in the future; the other is born of despair; Peter repented; Judas regretted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Interesting thought tho that Judas COULD have repented and turned from his sin to accept Christ for real....

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Matthew 26:20-25 Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve.
    21 And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
    22 And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?
    23 And he answered and said, He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me.
    24 The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born.
    25 Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said.

Matthew 26:47-49 And while he yet spake, lo, Judas, one of the twelve, came, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priests and elders of the people.
    46 Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast.
    47 And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him.

Luke 22:1-6 Now the feast of unleavened bread drew nigh, which is called the Passover.
    2 And the chief priests and scribes sought how they might kill him; for they feared the people.
    3 Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve. 4 And he went his way, and communed with the chief priests and captains, how he might betray him unto them.
    5 And they were glad, and covenanted to give him money.
    6 And he promised, and sought opportunity to betray him unto them in the absence of the multitude.

John 6:70-71 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
    71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

John 12:4-6 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him, Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor? This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

John 13:2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him;

John 13:10-11 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

John 13:18 I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.

John 13:21-28 When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
    22 Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spake.
    23 Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.
    24 Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake.
    25 He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it? Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it.
    26 And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon. And after the sop Satan entered into him.
    27 Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.
    28 Now no man at the table knew for what intent he spake this unto him.

Acts 1:16-20 Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.
    17 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.
    18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
    19 And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.
    20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

Acts 1:25-26 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
    26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

Barnes

This passage in Acts is the most condemning passage against Judas. He went to "his own place." That is he went to Hell. It can't refer to any other place in its proper context. This combined with all the other Scripture posted leaves no doubt about the eternal destiny of Judas Iscariot in my mind.
    DHK

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Avast on that one...
    John 6:70: Jesus answered them, "Did I Myself not choose you, the twelve, and yet one of you is a devil?"