1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Could You Be a Missionary to Japan?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by John of Japan, Sep 2, 2015.

?
  1. I could live in a tiny apartment and sleep on a mat the floor.

72.7%
  2. I could eat raw fish while smiling like I loved it!

54.5%
  3. I could spend eight hours a day (five days a week) for two years studying a foreign language.

72.7%
  4. I could sit on a mat on the floor when I eat and think nothing of it.

72.7%
  5. I could be stared at everywhere I go and not let it bother me.

81.8%
  6. I think those little squiggly Chinese characters and Japanese alphabet characters look neat.

81.8%
  7. I could pass out 10,000 tracts and get no prospects without being discouraged.

45.5%
  8. I could drink fermented milk (called “Calpis”) and learn to like it.

45.5%
  9. I could live with hearing terrible English all the time without correcting it.

63.6%
  10. I could love a people not my own and give decades of my life to see them saved.

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's like preaching, you don't just decide one day you're going to do it. If God hasn't called you, that's a dangerous place to put yourself.

It is ironic, and I try to show that to Atheists. It tears them up, lol. To be told they are religious and have a Religion of their own.

But they have preachers, teachers, missionaries, evangelists, apologists, "holy books," "holy" days...the list is longer, but you get the point, I am sure.

Look up "religion" and see how many comparisons you can make. It makes for a great lesson. And if you can get your audience to understand the parallels, you better equip them to deal with atheists in a way that is different than the usual tendency (my own Pastor simply states they are morons, lol, he will not witness to atheists).

Never really thought about it before, but I can see that.

The writer makes it very clear what "other" assembly is in view: the assembly of Judaizers.

Chapter Ten has as a focus remission of sins, and as many places in the Epistle, the contrasting of the First Covenant (Covenant of Law) and the New Covenant.

His point is that the Hebrew People he is writing to fully embrace Christ, and the "forsaking of the assembling of the brethren" is a reference to those who reject the New Covenant and all that entails, and continue in the Law.

Hebrews Ten is one of the most important Chapters in all of Scripture for us to understand. In it we see one of the most clear statements of the Security of the Believer, if not the clearest:

Hebrews 10:14

King James Version (KJV)

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Now if you consider the theme of "perfection" which speaks of "being made complete," rather than something being "perfect" as it is usually considered in modern use, we see the contrast between the Law (vv.1-4) and the Sacrifice of Christ. Those sacrifices could not make the comer thereunto (the worshipper) perfect (complete) in regards to the subject in view, which is the taking away of sins. Above we see that the Sacrifice of Christ not only makes the one sanctified by His Offering, but the completion is noted in that it states...for ever.

This is what God promised in the New Testament:

Hebrews 10:14-18

King James Version (KJV)

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

Now note carefully v.18.

We are going to see that again very soon, and it's importance, as well as it's simplicity, is often overlooked or misunderstood:

Hebrews 10:26-29

King James Version (KJV)

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

The reason there remaineth no more sacrifice for sin is because the sacrifices of the Law are no longer valid. Many will preach the willful sin in view is "forsaking the assembling of the brethren," and that in a context of quitting Church.

However, it is as simple as the writer exhorts his brethren not to forsake the assembling of Christian fellowship. They would do this in returning to the Law, and the writer will help us see that in the next few verses.

27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

The judgment is for adversaries, contrasted with chastisement for sinning children of God. The judgment in view is most likely eternal judgment.

28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

This begins another contrast of the Covenant of Law with the New Covenant.

The point is, those who rejected that Covenant were punished, and how much worse it will be for those who...

29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Not going to "Church" is not in view, but rejection of the New Covenant through which remission of sins is made complete for ever for those sanctified through Christ's death. Here we see the willful sin is rejecting Christ, His sacrifice, and the ministry of the Holy Spirit (the Comforter's distinct ministry is in view).

The writer does not teach here we have to go to Church and if we don't...there remaineth no more sacrifice for sin, for, regardless of what sin anyone commits...there remains no other sacrifice for sin one can turn to. We do not, as Christians, see the necessity for Christ's sacrifice to parallel the sacrifices of the economies prior to the New Covenant. It happened once and is complete, and capable of making complete the issue of remission of sins on an eternal level.

Hebrews 6 is another area where the L.O.S.T. (loss of salvation teachers) abuse the text and teach loss of salvation. As we see here, there also, rejection of the New Covenant is in view. They were in danger of "crucifying Christ again," which they would do when they offered up again an animal sacrifice according to the Law.

So back to your question, the assembling of the brethren was forsaken when these Hebrews, who became associated with Christianity, returned to the Law, thus showing rejection for the New Covenant and hence rejecting the only sacrifice that could benefit them. For there is no other Sacrifice that any man can turn to.

Sorry again for the length.

God bless.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen.

I agree if by this you mean we are to "Go ye" rather than "invite ye to church."
    Point taken about the physical reason and about elderly people. However, I don't agree about the mentally impaired. In my churches in Japan I had: a schizophrenic, one with clinical depression, a Downs girl, drug addicts, etc. They were all a blessing and blessed.

Keep up the good work.
    I highly recommend mission trips if they are well-planned and actually help the missionary, rather than get in his way. Our church sent 32 people, mostly laymen, to Africa to go trekking and evangelize villages, helping the African leaders in a church-planting movement, and saw God work in a wonderful way. The testimonies showed that those who went had been changed forever.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell you what, I strongly disagree with you here because of the immediate context of the "assembling" statement, but I'm not going to argue it here because (1) this is a fellowship thread, and (2) such a discussion would take us far from the OP. I'm sure you'll get plenty of takers for such a discussion in the theology forum.

4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, John, didn't realize you had responded.

And unfortunately, no, not really any takers for a thorough discussion of the issue. If you ever care to discuss it, though, let me know. I might start a thread on that in the theology debate board, hope you will join in if I do.

And also wanted to point out in the previous post, I wasn't saying the mentally impaired couldn't go, but that this was a legitimate reason why some don't go. All three categories can be seen to go, but in view are reasons why some don't.

And sorry, didn't know this was considered a debate free zone, though the intent wasn't to debate, but to actually fellowship, lol.

God bless.

5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, started a thread on Hebrews 10:25, would love to have you join in.

God bless.

6. nailah783

nailah783 Member

I think my only issue would be the food issue. I am a very picky eater here, so I know that I would have a problem with eating foreign foods. I would like to do this someday though. I know my husband really wants to go to Japan, but I don't know with the food thing. Anything else, I'm good with.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fortunately, I think you would find enough good food in Japan to keep you happy. In our town we had: MacDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut, Mister Donut, Starbucks, Tully's, etc.

Of course the main things in Japanese food are fish and rice.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What no Jolliebees?

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before I answer this, you'll have to tell me what a Jolliebee is!:confused:

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jollibee is the Asian Mickey Ds.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aha! But not in Japan apparently. There it is マクドナルド (Makudonarudo), or マック (Makku) for short. And they are all over Japan!

12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the wiki article, Jollibee plans to expand into Japan in 2017.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am now edjumicated on the subject. Good luck to them.

14. nailah783

nailah783 Member

Fish and rice would be my main issue. I don't eat either. I guess I would spend most of my time eating fast food. The issue with that though is that when I visit other countries, I would like to try everything. So we'll see.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aha. You might could get by with not eating the fish, but they have rice for breakfast, lunch and supper. Of course the American fast food places don't have rice. Anyway, I hope you get to go.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "You might could" sounds real southern. You've picked up on country-talk in America.

17. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aw, I can't vote. Is the poll closed?

Probably not. Last time I tried sleeping on the floor it was a pretty miserable and painful night.

8/10? Though some of my answers were less than certain.

18. Kevin

Kevin Active Member

I was taught Moshi, Moshi to answer the phone, so I'm all set with the language classes. The rest of the list I can deal with, except for the calling from God.

I also remember something about public toilets where you just squatted in the middle of a room over a trench with no privacy. That I couldn't handle.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of the toilets in China are of the squat variety. There are stalls --but it' still a nasty affair. I like many things about China --but the bathrooms are not on that list.

#59 Rippon, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry about that. :)

Actually, it's not as bad as it sounds. About half of Japanese nowadays sleep in a bed. If you sleep on the floor, you do so in the tatami room, of which every house and apartment has one. The floor in this room is grass mats, so it's not nearly as hard as a wood floor. You have a think mattress, then a tatami mattress under you.

Still sounds good for you! Sure you're not called? O O