1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

COVID-19 Lethality Not Much Different Than Flu, Says New Study

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Between 48,000 and 81,000 residents of Santa Clara County, California are likely to have already been infected by the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, suggests a new study by researchers associated with Stanford University Medical School. The researchers tested a sample of 3,330 residents of the county using blood tests to detect antibodies to determine whether or not they had been exposed to the coronavirus. If the researchers' calculations are correct, that's really good news. Why? Because that data will help public health officials to get a better handle on just how lethal the coronavirus is, and if researchers are right it's a lot less lethal than many have feared it to be.

Currently, the U.S. case fatality rate, that is, the percent of people with confirmed diagnoses of COVID-19 who die, is running at 5.2 percent. But epidemiologists have known that a significant proportion of people who are infected are going undetected by the medical system because either they don't feel sick enough to seek help or are asymptomatic. For example, recent research in Iceland suggests that about 50 percent of people infected with the virus have no symptoms.

COVID-19 Lethality Not Much Different Than Flu, Says New Study

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet 50.000 people have died in America. It took almost ten years for that many Americans to die in Vietnam, but Coronavirus has killed them in just a few weeks.

3. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The virus mostly kills sick people sick with other diseases. How can you say they were taken before their time. It is their time to die.

Ecclesiastes 3 New King James Version (NKJV)
    Everything Has Its Time
    1 To everything there is a season,
    A time for every purpose (of God) under heaven:
    2 A time to be born,
    And a time to die;
    A time to plant,
    And a time to pluck what is planted;

Scripture says everything has a time to do God's purposes under the heavens, so here on earth, God is shown to be in authority over all things.
    If you dont believe that, then your God is one who is not upholding all things. If He upholds all things, then all things are of God. A virus is not immune to God.

Psalm 139
    13 For You formed my inward parts;
    You covered me in my mother’s womb.
    14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    Marvelous are Your works,
    And that my soul knows very well.
    15 My frame was not hidden from You,
    When I was made in secret,
    And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
    16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
    And in Your book they all were written,
    The days fashioned for me,
    When as yet there were none of them.

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say they were taken before their time, but your argument is one for the abolition of all medicine and hospitals. It's people's time to die; why are we fooling about giving them drugs and and operations?
    Why was Luke a doctor? Why is anyone a doctor?

5. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not questioning why people should be doctors or not. I am showing that God is in control of all things.
    A doctor can not save your life, a doctor is simply a tool or a means whereby God may chose to work something out.
    God does everything for a reason, for purpose. In the case of them whom He foreknew as His own, they are all things that happen to them occur to them for their good (benefit), even though at the time they might be seemingly bad things. But ultimately they were ordained of God for His purposes.
    Romans 8
    28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Ephesians 11
    11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will

The above tells us for believers, they God predestined to receive an inheritance, BUT it ALSO says, God works all things according the council of His will, that also includes things that happen in the world to the unsaved.

#5 Scott Downey, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

While it has been known for a long time that there are many undetected cases that will lower the estimated IFR (infection fatality rate) compared to the CFR (case fatality rate), this study is not a good one to measure that because of methology problems, primary among them using a test from a Chinese company that has been banned for selling unvalidated tests.

New Covid-19 Antibody Study Results Are In. Are They Right?

But even when we get better quality serology data that shows us more accurate data like some other studies are starting to show, it is only deceptive political sources trying to fool themselves and others who are not good at math who will say this means covid19 is not a big deal. Because whether the death rate is 5% of confirmed cases or 1% of 5x confirmed cases still equals the same number of people dead.

What all these previously undetected cases are actually telling us is that covid19 is much more infective than previously calculated and lockdowns are even more justified, not less.

#6 Gold Dragon, Apr 28, 2020
  7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Average deaths per day 2018-2019 from the flu 161.3.

Average deaths per day since first case from the COVID-19 700.9 - as of 4-22-20.

Currently about 2,500 deaths per day.

This is with a lock down in effect.

Yet, COVIDIOTS are still claiming that, [​IMG]"COVID-19 Lethality Not Much Different Than Flu"

[​IMG]

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would say they are correct that covid19's lethality is not very high on the scale of infectious diseases which has been known for a long time. But it kills lots of people by being highly infective and killing a relatively small percentage of them. It is still many multiples more deadly than the flu however. And the main reason for the lockdowns is that it sends a lot of those infected people to hospital, quickly overwhelming a health system.

I have been saying this from my first post about covid19 on this forum back in mid march.

Please listen to Trump now

#8 Gold Dragon, Apr 28, 2020
  9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I gave those claiming a large magical number of unknown case to exist the benefit of the doubt and doubled the number of confirmed cases the death rate would still be as high as the Spanish flu at 3%. But if you figure that 95% of those tested don't even have the virus that gives you a good idea of the mindset of people who think they might have it - and this goes along with the mindset of those who think/insist all these unconfirmed cases exist. It is not likely that you you could double the amount of confirmed cases when so many people are showing up claiming symptoms that don't even have it, yet some people are so into the denial mindset of the seriousness of this disease that they claim 50x the confirmed cases are out there - we currently have 1 million people infected, can you imagine the spread rate it would take to have infected 50 million people that have been infected, ...does that sound like reality to you? ...about 1/7th of the population, within a couple months ...during a lockdown, no less!? Give me a break! Again, not only not likely, but bordering on an insane suggestion! No, taking into account that there are some unconfirmed cases out there I would still figure this disease could very likely have a 4+% death rate according to the numbers that we do have confirmed which is higher than that of the Spanish flu while being much more infectious and THAT DOES NOT JIVE WITH THAT "COVID-19 Lethality Not Much Different Than Flu." The numbers I posted above totally refute that statement! It is a desperate and stupid thing to say.

#9 Benjamin, Apr 28, 2020
  10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be a lot easier to accept the dire predictions/conclusions of the “panic brigade” (DEMS) if they didn’t have such a vested interest In creating a failure for Trump. And after seeing these Ds spending all their “CONGRESSIONAL” time fishing for SO M E T H I N G to oust Trump, I find it hard to believe anything they say - even if occasionally true!!
    For me it’s kinda like, if I were not a Christian & knew what God said about creation, it would not be too hard to swallow the evolutionists teachings/beliefs.

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is known as the AUTHORITY BIAS FALLACY.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No its not. You have no idea what you are talking about. No one claimed a specific suthority as proof if anything.

Not sure why I constantly have to explain basic things to you.

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. So you put STANFORD UNIVERSITY MEDICAL SCHOOL in bold, underlined and italicized font because you were trying not to draw attention to it?

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh once again having to explain explain basic things to you. There are a plethora of reasons why I did that. It seems you are guilty of the black and white fallacy since it appears you only left room for one option for why I posted the way I did.

By the way, I bolded that because goldenwhatshisface constantly says only his view is based on science.

Maybe you should get a hold of your emotions before you post. I noticed that you dont accuse others who actually are guilty of arguing from authority. Could it be because you agree with them and only want that view posted on this board? Looks like.

15. Oseas3

Oseas3 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Be sure that the PESTILENCE that is running in whole Earth and destroying the world of Devil as a great implosion, it is the GREAT first signal of JESUS's coming-Matt.24:v.3: 3...the disciples came unto JESUS privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming? and of the END of the world?

JESUS answered saying: Matt.24:v.7-8:
    7 - For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be PESTILENCES, and FAMINES, and EARTHQUAKES in divers places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows. Habakkuk also prophesied, saying: Before Him went the PESTILENCE,...Hab.3:v.5

See, of the same manner my Lord JESUS rebuked the winds and the sea(Matt.8:v.26-27), and also the fig tree which He cursed withered away, now, even now, from now on, He Himself are sending great punishment as PESTILENCE in whole world ruled by the Devil, and will send also FAMINE, and He, He Himself, will make to happen earthquakes in diverses places as He left warned by written in Matthew 24:v.7 quoted above. NOTE: These earthquakes are not phenomenons of nature, no, they are not, with the same Power JESUS rebuked the winds and the Sea(Matt.8:v.26-27) JESUS will provoke or will cause these earthquakes in divers places, I can not say where, what I know it will be terrible)

Now, in this seventh and last Day, the Lord's Day, or seventh and last millennium, the Millennium of Christ, JESUS is and will be in control of all things, nothing random will happen, understand? But do not forget, these things are the beginning of the sorrows.

There will be punishment and punishment, only and only punishments, the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with His mighty messengers, in flaming FIRE taking VENGEANCE on them that know not God, and that obey not His Gospel, the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of His power, although He be invisible or occult yet or for a while. He shall come to be glorified in His saints, and to be admired in all them that believe in this day, the Lord's Day. 2Thes.1:v.7-10.

On the other hand, the sacrifice of JESUS was the last sacrifice and has remained during these last two thousand years, day by day, and it will cease soon, as soon as the Abomination of Desolation take place in the temple of God through the MAN of sin, son of perdition, in fact a former Cherub, Who will manifest himself as a messiah and he will oppose and exalt himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God will sit in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God, then, yes, THEN, the daily sacrifice made by JESUS is taken away. Then the Dispensation of the New Testament ENDS, but the END OF THIS WORLD will last another 1290 days; And there will be a gap of 45 days, Daniel 12:v.12 - 12 Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.

All these things MUST happen in this decade. Let us be ready to meet the bridegroom.

The SPECIFIC and wonderful and glorious day 1335 God revealed to Daniel (1290 plus 45 days-Daniel 12:v.12) it is the Great Day of JESUS's coming. Aleluiaaaa!