1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Covid Shot ENHANCES Delta Infectivity

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Scott Downey, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Study: Covid Shot ENHANCES Delta Infectivity (noqreport.com)

STORY AT-A-GLANCE
    • According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, people who got the COVID shot early are now at increased risk for severe COVID disease
      This may be a sign that antibody dependent enhancement (ADE) is occurring, or it may simply indicate that the protection offered is limited to a few months, at best
    • Recent research warns the Delta variant “is posed to acquire complete resistance to wild-type spike vaccines.” This could turn into a worst-case scenario that sets up those who have received the Pfizer shots for more severe illness when exposed to the virus
    • To “stay ahead of the virus,” the Biden administration is now considering recommending a booster shot five months after the initial two doses rather than waiting eight months, as previously suggested
    • Israeli data show Pfizer’s shot went from a 95% effectiveness at the outset to 39% by late July 2021, when the Delta strain became predominant. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s expectation for any vaccine is an efficacy rate of at least 50% compared to placebo

Must be referring to the ADE effect
    Curious about the study mentioned, is there a link?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is basically a lie.

Like so much of the anti-vax narrative, this headline has been artfully worded to imply something that is most certainly not true - that the vaccine does not help you.

Of course, if you actually delve into the details, the truth is that the vaccine reduces your risk of severe Covid disease. Period, full stop.

And now for a little exposé of this site you are quoting from - noqreport:

From mediabiasfactcheck:

And noqreport is a supposedly Christian site!

"Thou shalt not bear false witness" seems to be passé at noqreport.

#2 Andre, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This, too, is a lie, albeit a lie-by-omission.

What you are not being told, that what really matters, is this:

The two-dose vaccine still works very well in preventing people from getting seriously sick, demonstrating 88% effectiveness against hospitalization and 91% effectiveness against severe illness, according to the Israeli data.

The 39% figure refers to the risk of infection.

And that is certainly not the most important number - it is preventing severe illness and death that really matters.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you JonC?
    You're like twins.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, this isn't the first go around for that one. I'm starting to think people are so afraid they have become desperate to find something to cling to....truth no longer matters.

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Highlights mine]

Hey, I agree with you on this one!
    If I’m told that the vax will make you grow horns, I ignore it.
    If I’m told that NO vaxing will kill me before I’m 85, I ignore it. (I’ll be 85 next month!!)
    IOW, contrary to Andre & JonC, at least IMHO, I’m not selective about either, cause I figure the TRUTH is just a jumble of comments somewhere in the confusion; and I’m still going to rely on the HS guidance as to what, if any, action I should take re: future shots for this political bug. (And if you think relying of the HS is foolish, then just consider me a fool - don’t bother me at all. And good luck with your analyzing all the garbage and then making your decision!!)
    And JFTR, I am a partaker of the shots.:Thumbsup

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not contrary to JonC. I ignore it all except to offer opposing articles and full articles to incomplete ones.

The problem is people are just making up what they think might happen.

GA reports an overwhelming number of unva content deaths BUT GA is mostly unvaccinated.

Other places report a higher number of vaccinated cases BUT those areas are mostly vaccinated.

It is data manuplation for an already decided conclusion on both sides - they have a conclusion and look for data that can be made to support it.

That said, I do look at cases (actual data). Not to make a decision - I've been vaccinated since April - but to know what is happening in my area.

I do not care if other people get vaccinated. That is their decision. I do not care if they choose to be vaccinated to keep a job or choose to quit rather than be vacvinated. That is their decision. I do not care if an employer requires people to be vaccinated. That is up to them.

In short, I am to be faithful to Hod wherever I am. That is really it. My reasons for being vaccinated are mine - nobody else's.

8. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I admit I am "selective" - I am fully biased towards qualified medical experts and reputable media and totally biased against, for example, an anti-vax "doctor" who specializes in, yes, tattoo removal

You guys are delivering too many hanging curveballs.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fake news (misleading at best).

The article quoted in the OP's article (Aug 20, 2021) is the CDC saying booster shots may be needed because over time the effectiveness of the vaccine decreases and with time the risk for serious illness increases. It is NOT suggesting vaccinated people are more at risk than unvaccinated people.

The source for the OP article is listed as the 3rd reference and is provided below.

Just another dishonest post.

CDC Director: There is an 'increased risk of severe disease among those vaccinated early'

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    thanks for the post your integrity and great sources

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except the article in the OP is a lie.

This is what it's source actually says:

"Walensky claimed that while the vaccine works well to prevent hospitalizations, the CDC is “seeing concerning evidence of waning vaccine effectiveness over time and against the delta variant.” She cited reports of international colleagues, including Israel “suggest increased risk of severe disease amongst those vaccinated early.”

Regardless of opinions about the vaccine, as a literate adult (and Christian) are you not able to discern the dishonesty in how the article uses its source?

Or do you believe a little dishonesty is fine if it supports your opinions?

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets look at the article and its source with Christian eyes (with a bit of honesty).

The source:

"Walensky claimed that while the vaccine works well to prevent hospitalizations, the CDC is “seeing concerning evidence of waning vaccine effectiveness over time and against the delta variant.” She cited reports of international colleagues, including Israel “suggest increased risk of severe disease amongst those vaccinated early.”

The articles conclusion:

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, people who got the COVID shot early are now at increased risk for severe COVID disease.
    This may be a sign that antibody dependent enhancement (ADE) is occurring, or it may simply indicate that the protection offered is limited to a few months, at best.

The source:

Sera of mice immunized by Delta spike, but not wild-type spike, consistently neutralized the Delta 4+ variant without enhancing infectivity. Given the fact that a Delta variant with three similar RBD mutations has already emerged according to the GISAID database, it is necessary to develop vaccines that protect against such complete breakthrough variants.

The articles conclusion:

A study posted August 23, 2021, on the preprint server bioRxiv now warns the Delta variant “is posed to acquire complete resistance to wild-type spike vaccines.” This could essentially turn into a worst-case scenario that sets up those who have received the Pfizer shots for more severe illness when exposed to the virus.

Expert sources include the blogs and CNBC.

The issue is not whether the vacvine works or not. The issue is professing Christians willing to accept misinformation and lies....even PRAISE these sources....if it suits their opinions.

Christians - regardless of sides on this issue - should be better people.

On the lighter side, it is interesting to see @Revmitchell refer to CNBC as a "great source" (CNBC is the source used for the data regarding the longevity of the vaccine).