1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Covington Seminaries M.Div Program

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by brackinja, May 26, 2007.

1. brackinja

brackinja New Member

I have heard that at Andersonville Theo Seminary it doesn't take that long to complete, but Covington's m.div program takes 96 hours to complete and is 22 classes plus a 25,000 word thesis done in Turabian which counts for 8 credit hours.... I know a lot of people have downed Covington and their accreditation, but to me that seems like a lot of work and it takes about a month and a half really working hard to complete each class which takes 3 years to complete.... it seems like to me that Covington, even though not well accredited, should be at the top of the list of those schools.... i know they offer a 36 hour master of ministry degree and 36 hour doctor of ministry, but I believe you are cheating yourself by doing that. After finishing the 96 hour m.div they offer a 36 hour plus 50,000 thesis done in turabian Doctor of Theology THd degree. I can see if you were to go this route that people would respect what you have done.... a 25,000 word thesis and a 50,000 word thesis is no easy task, plus taking the time to read all those books and do the work. What do you all think?

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brackinja Reply!

Dear Bro.,

If it seems easy and fast it probably is. Some want a piece of paper and not an education. If one has this philosophy of ministry then one of these "short cut" methods is the way to go.

A 25,000 or 50,000 word thesis does not mean a thing. Has he mastered all of the tools, languages, and background materials in a chosen field? Is he qualified to teach others, especially peers, at the doctoral or graduate level? Has he been instructed by men who have written or done ground breaking work in their fields?

My dear brother, there is much more than just reading a few books and writing a "dissertation" or "thesis." And again, if that is the type of education one wants then you will not doubt get what you pay to have.

No doubt!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Good counsel, my brother.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My advice to you here, just like in the other thread you started on Andersonville, is to sign up at Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary and earn your MAR via distance learning. Then if you wish to get a MDiv sign up with Luther Rice, transfer in your Liberty degree so you will get credit for the work you have already done, and finish your MDiv with Luther Rice. That way you have two Master degrees (MA and MDiv). You would be doing the same amount of work as you would for one MDiv, but just dividing it up.

Or you could just earn your MDiv through Luther Rice.

Either way, don't spend your time, and money, on schools that don't hold offical accreditation. You may later regret it if you do.

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

M.S. does not mean more of the same

You seemed impressed by the time and amount of work involved in the degree requirements. However, this is only one factor that is involved in a credible degree program. What is the level of rigor? That, IMHO, is just as important as the quantity and time. Proscribing the length of a dissertation does not insure the quality and it does not necessarily merit degree recognition. Some very significant scientific papers, for example, are quite short and are extremely important in the advancement of the field. On the other hand, a long, rambling compilation of other people’s work in a poorly written style is of no worth.

Substituting quantity for quality is one earmark of degree mills and “less than wonderful” schools. It is not just more of the same—the level of cognitive functioning increases in difficulty and intellectual processing at each higher level. They seem to think a dissertation is just a very long term paper. Whether this is done by ignorance or to deceive, I do not know. After all, the operators of “less than wonderful schools” do not have the academic background and knowledge to judge the requirements of a genuine degree program because most of them have never completed a real advanced degree. Furthermore, the faculty for the most part cannot assess the quality of the dissertation for the same reason. It is rather like trusting someone who has read a few medical textbooks and watched a PBS special (Oh, it’s not that hard!) to do brain surgery on you rather than the medical school trained neurosurgeon.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Paidagagos, well said. I wish more guys who are considering those types of schools would consider that. When I think about it, do I want someone who cannot even read Greek to read my dissertation. How can they begin to do disciplined exegesis.