1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cowboys Coach

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ccrobinson, Feb 8, 2007.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Wade Phillips? Really? Jerry Jones is hiring Wade Phillips to be head coach?

Anybody else as surprised about this as I am? :tonofbricks:

How about it, Cowboy fans? How excited are you about the Wade Phillips era beginning in Big D?

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm not surprised, as Jones hasn't exactly hired the best, save for Jimmy Johnson, and that's only because of the personal connection.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

As a non-Cowboy fan, I am thrilled :)

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

At some point, I would not be surprised if Jerry eventually hired himself as the coach. That's what he really wants deep down. He's driven out the two best coaches he's ever had (Johnson and Parcells).

5. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wade Phillip?? this should be interesting.
    Faithgirl

6. Blammo

Blammo New Member

As a Cowboy fan for over 30 years... I uh... well... oh brother.:confused:

7. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought Phillips was a longshot at best, but I am not a Cowboys fan either and I had to put up with Bum's son during his Denver days...

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

My sympathies to you... :wavey:

9. Blammo

Blammo New Member

I've had a few good years, brother, but thanks, I appreciate that.

BTW, momma bought me a Dallas Cowboys hat and jacket when I was in kindergarten. It's her fault. It could be worse. My brother got the Minnesota Vikings hat and jacket. Poor guy.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you deny evolution, consider how Jerry Jones evolved from a tortoise into a hare. He hired his old roommate, Jimmy Johnson, as his first act when his deal to buy the Dallas Cowboys was done. And even though it was impossible for any coach, including the best one, to win immediately at that time, and the team was at the bottom, but bounced back up over 3 years, he stood by his man and the result was 2 Super Bowl wins. Then there was no excuse for him [Jerry] to not be in full control and continue winning just as big. Johnson had to live off the previous 2 years when he bacame coach, and Switzer also lived off the 2 years previous to his hiring; from then on it's been "Win now!"-- "Not yet"..."Win now!"-- "Not yet"...... If Parcells was willing to stay just one more year, and actually still 'had it'-- his passion for coaching and winning-- I think the pieces would actually be there for next year. But now, after the standard Jones 4-year term, we'll never know. And we also don't if Tony Romo will continue to develop and be able to ajust back when defenses finally catch on and adapt to him, as he wasn't late in the season. Norv Turner might have been the ideal mentor for that task, and we just don't know about Jason Garrett (supposing that's going to be his job, which we don't even know).

I'm inclined to think this is another Chan Gailey/Dave Campo type hiring, though Phillips does have a little prior success as an NFL head coach. Note that he will be 60 years old by the time next season begins, and that Parcells was 65. Some of us remember that Jones said, upon firing Tom Landry who was 64, that "men that age may make the best business leaders, but they can't relate to young athletes."

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I pray that the entire team gets right with God.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As someone who cannot recall not being a Cowboys fan - going way back to the days of Eddie LaBaron, Don Perkins, etc. - I am underwhelmed by the hiring of Wade Phillips.