1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Creepy concept: FBI can turn on your webcam without you knowing it

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Dec 9, 2013.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Found an avatar to fit your personality.

[​IMG]

Ruff Ruff! The cowardly ignore button attacker lion. :laugh:

2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just guessing about the hat. Thanks for the confirmation.

Too late. Romans 13:11-14 was for the First Sunday in Advent under the Revised Common Lectionary; Year A.

That aside what exactly is the snoopy government going to do with my webcam data? If they are going to be taking control of my computer wouldn't you think they'd be more interested in my contacts and the content of my communications with them? They already have that information. They know where my bank accounts are (without accessing my computer), who I call or email. They already know what guns I've bought, what kind of car I drive, who insures it.

What are they going to get from my webcam except for seeing me from the shoulders up and a curtained window behind me? If that is the best our intelligence community can come up with we've got bigger problems than webcams.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Or you were fishing for a response. Glad I could oblige you this time but you don't have to resort to thinly veiled insults to get a response, "pastor". Just say it plain.

We're all friends here, well the "cowardly ignore button lion" and I aren't all that friendly but that's just me I reckon. I got this thing about being friends with cowardly bushwhackers.

Sorry I missed it. Maybe I can make it up to hear the "give unto Caesar" sermon. When is that one scheduled? Early April I would imagine right?

Why do they need to get anything from your webcam?

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thinly veiled? Man, I'm losing my touch. If you were truly insulted I offer my most sincere apology. Us blinder wearers can often blur the line between light-hearted banter and being rude.

I prefer to do my bushwhacking from stealth otherwise it ain't bushwhacking. It takes the edge off it if you see me coming and I step in front of you and yell, "Surprise!"

I couldn't tell you. I'm just a "pastor". Perhaps if I was a Pastor I could say something super spiritual about I'll preach that text when the spirit leads and not a moment before. See, I'm not the only one in this conversation that uses not-so-thinly veiled insults.

Okay, we're back to the OP. My first reaction was wondering if there was a worse possible intel source than somebody's webcam. Stupid people don't need to get caught doing something stupid in front of their laptop. Stupid people will Tweet it and put it on Facebook.

Here's a link to the Washington Post article that launched the story. According to the article the FBI has made two requests to use the technology. It was approved once and declined in the second. So out of 170 million laptop computers in use there has been a grand total of one use of this malware by the FBI and that was directed at a known terrorist named Mo.

It is highly unlikely that either one of us will be the target of clandestine webcam surveillance by the FBI any time soon. Of course your tin foil hat will keep you safe and unless they come at me straight on I'll never see them coming.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

I don't know. They don't make tin foil like they used to. :laugh:

And if you put a little car wax on the inside face of your blinders, you'll catch reflections and can spin around quickly to catch the "surprise" attack.

[​IMG]