1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crisis at Bobby Welch's (Former SBC President) Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ehaase, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

1.5% of the church is holding meetings, circulating petitions, and answering phone interviews in the local paper. The pastor, the footsteps he follows, and his recent changes may not be the only problems here.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When is trouble in a church ever blamed on the people. Gossip can start a huge fire and destroy many lives. Many people were resistant to Jesus. I know a pastor who was pastoring a church which grew from about 75 to almost 600 in six years. The entire time he was there the deacons gave him trouble because they did like the new people coming in the door. The new people were new Christians.

You are right that following a long term pastor does not have to be a short term situation. Most of the time it is. It happens too often because the church wants a miracle working pastor and when it does not happen they do not like it. Most people do not accept others and do not like change even if it good. Our entire life is about change. We age and our bodies change. Our wisdom and walk with God should be changing. A person who refuses to change is a grump. A church I went to a few years ago planned for the pastor's retirement six years in advance by bringing on an assistant pastor to fill the place of the senior pastor once he retires. Gradually the assistant was given more and more the responsibility of the senior pastor. With the blessing of the senior pastor when he retired the assistant became the senior pastor. Things exploded after that. The church grew quite rapidly and is continuing to grow. When you walk in the door you know that the church is serious about ministry.

Sometime look at www.ctkonline.com and see how serious that church is about reaching people. It is less than eight years old. The pastor came from a fundamental Bible believing church that was led by pew warmers and asked him to leave. About three years later he started a new church and it has been growing at a rapid pace. When you walk in that place if you are not serious about ministry and reaching people you will either get on fire or go somewhere else. People’s lives are transformed and the place radiates Christ. Take a look at how many church they have planted since they began. The number is staggering.

Ministry is a team effort and too many churches are focused on programs and not the personal responsibility of doing ministry. Pastoring is never a one man band. That pastor had the blessing of a group of people to be able to spend so much money. If churches would be up front about their spending they might not be able to run wild so easily.

3. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sad to watch because Christ's name is dragged thru the mud.

4. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I think you hit the nail on the head there, and it is not just at this church that this is taking place in and has taking place in. All across the SBC churches are being held captive by the will of the minority, and i think a lot of pastors are run off by only a handful of people while the majority refuse to speak up.

5. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Ah, yes........ the wonders of "The Purpose-Driven Church." Drive out the seniors, bring in the drums.

6. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

Please...

[​IMG]

forgive me...this was the widest brush I could find. Hope it's broad enough.

8. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

It seems a statesmanlike statement that recognizes reality and is aimed toward healing. I have no doubt that Brother Cox will find a new call. I applaud him for not leading a "rump" group out to start a competitive church. But what a task lies ahead for an interim pastor! The hostilities generated in a situation like this do not go away readily. I can envision some folks leaving anyway.

I was amused, though, that BP just could not resist doing a little marketing at the end of the article, reminding the reader that the FAITH strategy not only originated at FBC Daytona Beach, but also that it is available at Lifeway, etc.! It is an ill wind indeed that blows no one some good.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Happens each week through the SBC state gossip (slander) papers and the majority see it as information and not for what it is.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is all over and not just in the SBC. When is the last time that people let the authority be the authority. It is happening among teachers when students are asked to evaluate their professors. It is a well known fact that teachers who make their students work hard do not receive as favorable of evaluations as those who are easy. It is also true among parents. When a child gets a high grade the parents think of the teacher as a better teacher than from those who grade harder and expect more.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I ifnd it interesting that FBC Dallas, Bellevue Baptist and FBC Daytona Beach have all had serious problems.

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

All I see is GOSSIP!

13. ehaase

ehaase New Member

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=24835

David Cox resigns FBC Daytona Beach pastorate
    By Norm Miller
    Jan 25, 2007

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (BP)--On Aug. 28, David Cox became senior pastor of First Baptist Church in Daytona Beach, Fla. On Jan. 24, he resigned.

Cox became co-pastor of First Baptist on Aug. 1, 2003, serving alongside Bobby Welch who served the church for 32 years as pastor, and who retired Aug. 28 last year. Welch is immediate past president of the Southern Baptist Convention and is pastor emeritus of First Baptist.

Addressing more than 500 people in the members-only Wednesday night meeting, Cox read from a prepared statement which he later released to Baptist Press. The statement is presented in its entirety.

"On Aug. 1, 2003, I became your co-pastor and on Aug. 28, 2006, I became your senior pastor. It has been a privilege and joy to serve you and be a part of all that Almighty God wants to do with His beautiful Bride at First Baptist Church, Daytona Beach. There have been a number of high moments and victories won and it has been especially blessing to see a number of lives truly changed and transformed by the Holy Spirit. For these experiences my family and I will be forever grateful to you.

"Over the past several weeks, First Baptist Church has undergone a season of extreme duress and difficulty. Two weeks ago tonight, at a town hall meeting to discuss impending matters [a member] said to all present at that meeting, 'Please don't make me choose.' Given present dynamics and poised circumstances, I believe that any continued service and ministry here, on my part, would not be productive toward future growth and health.

"Furthermore, the personal stress and toll on my wife and family has been extreme. As is the case with each of you, my family is the most vital and important part of my life with the exception of my personal relationship to Jesus Christ my Lord.

"While it has been encouraging to be approached by so many of you regarding the starting of a new, local work in the area, I have no plans to do so. To the contrary, to do so would only cause more division and difficulty, and I am hoping that my complete removal from this church's life will bring healing and forward progress for the glory of God. We are all praying that healing can occur and be ushered in quickly.

"As for me and my family, I have absolutely no idea before you tonight as to what I and my family will do from here - or where - or when. I only know that our God reigns and that He is faithful and true and that HE will not only give clear direction to First Baptist Church, Daytona Beach in the days just ahead, but He will also direct my path and that of my family.

"We will always thank God for these days with you and will continue to serve our Lord as you do -- just from another place and perspective. The personal friendships that have been forged here with many of you are not only highly valued and precious to us, but will hopefully continue for years and years in the lifetime ahead.

"With that said, I prayerfully offer my resignation to all members and friends of First Baptist Church, Daytona Beach, Florida, effective midnight tonight and pray that the mercy and grace of our Lord Jesus Christ will fall on each of us in the days ahead. As the Apostle Paul said, and perhaps you share my heart in this matter, 'Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press toward the goal of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus' (Phil. 3:13-14)."

Following a closing prayer by Welch, hundreds of members lined the two centermost aisles of the church to hug Cox and bid him farewell.

In an interview after the meeting, Cox told Baptist Press he intends to remain in the area at least until May so two of his three children can finish the school year.

Saying he intends to spend time with his family, Cox also said he is "open to do supply preaching or serve as an interim pastor until God opens another door for us -- and I am confident He will."

Cox noted his gratitude for the many pastors, leaders and laypeople across the Southern Baptist Convention regarding their encouraging notes, phone calls and e-mails citing their support and prayers for him, his family and the church.

The F.A.I.T.H. evangelism strategy, available through LifeWay Christian Resources, originated at FBC Daytona Beach.
    --30--

14. ehaase

ehaase New Member

Now, Tim Mann, David Cox's replacement, has resigned from First Baptist Daytona after less than 3 years as pastor.

15. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

So true, but he didn't ruffel as many feathers or as quickly as Cox.

16. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An excellent rule.

It is true of any organization, school, or corporation -- never take the job of a long-term, well loved individual. The new person will always receive criticism as they are not exact clones of the person who left the job.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Forgive me for being dense...but two things come to mind:

1. Why resurrect a 3 year-old thread?
    2. Why air a church's issues out in a forum like this? If one has a problem with that church...shouldn't it be handled in house? Is it really our place to hash out a church's isues in public?

18. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Personally I've experienced it and many times I've seen it. Follow a well loved and respected long time serving pastor and you may be in for a rough time. The old time membership who worshiped the former pastor, most likely, would even be critical even if Jesus, Himself, came to be their new pastor.

19. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Having never seen the inside of a Masonic Lodge, can someone tell me what that statement means?

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Used to hold services in an old lodge. When we first walked in it was still set up from the last meeting that had happened years earlier. And I still do not know what that means.