1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Criswell College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Santiago, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Any present or former students of The Criswell College in Dallas, Texas on this forum?

If so, do you believe it is a good school with high quality standards of Biblical and Christian education?

What would be some of the pros and cons in your opinion?

2. MDavidM

MDavidM New Member

Santiago:

I am not a present or former student of Criswell College, but we have had several serve as interns at Prestonwood, and I am generally impressed with them. The school seems to hold to high standards doctrinally. From what I have seen of the students, and what I know about them doctrinally, I would not hesitate to send my sons there.

One other positive, in my opinion (which may draw a firestorm from others), is that Criswell was one of the first schools to affiliate with the SBTC.

David

3. Santiago

Santiago New Member

David,
    Thanks for your reply. I have talked to a good number of current and former students of Criswell, and all have been very positive about their experiences there. I have done some research, and I'm giving serious consideration to enrolling this fall. If I do, it will be in the BA in Biblical Studies/Counseling.

Do you know of a good conservative Christian school in the North Texas area offering a Master's in Counseling or Christian counseling? I have looked a little at DTS and DBU. That decision is still a couple of years away.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth still offers a Master's in Christian Counselling:

check it here: SWBTS MA in Counseling

5. MDavidM

MDavidM New Member

Santiago:

The three mentioned (SWBTS, DTS, & DBU) are the only ones I know of in North Texas. Personally, I think very highly of all three, but would probably lean toward SWBTS. It would be my pleasure to introduce you to students and/or faculty from any of those schools, and Criswell too.

David

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We were Dean of a small college in Lewisville (Denton) and attended FBC Dallas. Knew many Criswell College students and saw they were high quality and well-trained.

Church saw the weakness of Baylor (of their beloved SBC) and need to pick up the slack in REAL Bible training.

7. RandR

RandR New Member

Criswell's strengths have been mentioned.

There are considerable weaknesses if you're interested.
    Financial problems since day one that continue to this day.
    A rather ineffective board. (If that matters.)
    No student housing.
    No student life to speak of.
    Many classes taught by doctoral students from other schools. (Again, not all bad, but not really great either.)
    Same people in almost every class.
    Small faculty and therefore several "repeat" professors. (Again, not all bad...just not much diversity.)
    And while most of the students there are serious about their ministry training, there is an unfortunately large number of students there who are just sort of biding their time until they figure out what they want to do with their lives.

I wouldn't try to talk a student out of atteding Criswell, but I would at least suggest considering an undergrad Bible degree from a Christian liberal arts college before enrolling at Criswell.

8. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

The school will definitely be much better off now that Jerry Johnson is there.