1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Critics question homemaking program

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe that men also have the responsibility to also be keepers of the home?

2. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is an excellent point. If the seminary thinks that students are lacking life skills, I think it is a fine thing to offer classes. However, it is quite another thing to restrict these classes to women and create a degree program around them at a seminary.

Since there is no "Christian way" to cook, clean, make/repair clothes, plan meals, and decorate one's home (unless there are those who believe Jesus trinkets are the only way to decorate), there should not be a theological degree associated with these skills. Furthermore, both parents (if they are present in the home) should be involved in raising their children, not just women. So limiting this program to women only is incredibly short-sighted and counter-biblical.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if they would be willing to teach the women how to change the oil or a flat tire? I'm sure lots of single--and married--ladies would like to know how to do it.

4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right. That's a good skill for everyone to learn.

A few years ago my wife changed a tire on the side of the interstate by herself. I was out of state that week and she decided to try it herself instead of calling for the auto club. She didn't have any real trouble doing it, and, to this day, is very proud of herself and much more confident on the highway... although I'd rather she call me or the auto club. Things can get dangerous out on the open road.

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I perfer to call someone as well. That's why I have On Star! I've gotten way spoiled. Guess that tells that I changed my own tires for all that time before On Star was invented. I can do all sorts of car stuff. Mostly because when my much older brother moved out, I was the only one Dad had to hand him the wrenches! :D (never have figured out why a man needs someone to hand him a wrench that laying only 6 inches from his hand. I went from handing them to my Dad to handing them to my husband. Funny, he never threads my sewing needles for me! :laugh: )

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for you. I was the only girl with a bunch of brothers who never let me do anything but cook and wash dishes.

The On Star thing sounds good, but I'd be too paranoid of a terrorist getting control of it and blowing me up or something. But that's a whole 'nother thread.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Who teaches the class??? Dr. Patterson??? HA!!! This I've got to see!!!:laugh:

Truly---I wouldn't hesitate one second in taking a class like this----I've taken university classes on outdoor survival and junk like that---I can start a fire with a D Cell battery and a little bit of steel wool----I can find my way through the woods and back with a compass

My wife grew up on a farm----she can do all sorts of farm junk

I grew up on a dairy farm---shoot fire, I can milk a cow with my bare hands---and walk barefooted through the cow lot and drink water from a hose thats been in the cow's water trough---I can saw firewood and build a fire in the living room fireplace that'll be so hot----it'll melt the butter in the refrig way over in the kitchen!!!!!

I have a buddy and his wife----who are IMB missionaries in Africa---they had to take IMB classes in Richmond on how to raise and kill chickens to eat and stuff like that

Ain't nothin' wrong with a bunch of preachers and their wives taking seminary classes like this----it will serve to "Sissy Proof" them!!!!:saint: :type:

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

No I don't and thats why I think the use of the word precieved is silly here. Of course there are defined gender rolls in the bible. But this person acts as if they are made up by those no reading it right.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've never changed a tire.

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I wondered how many folk actually knew how to change their tires, so I made a poll. :) I asked about the men's knowledge as well but I wonder how many of them will actually admit they never learned to change a tire. :D

11. 4boys4joys

4boys4joys New Member

Proverbs 31

In the light of Proverbs 31 there are some things she did here that some declare a man's work.

Proverbs 31:16- She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planted a vineyard.

Sounds like a business plan to me. Maybe we should see what God says is "womans work". When did this scripture change ? God did not say her husband bought it, it says she did.

Proverbs 31:24- She maketh fine linen, and selleth it : and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.

This sounds to me like a woman who did have work outside the home but it was all in the proper balance of serving her Lord and family. She was not the main provider but she did help provide support with out it becoming the priority of her life.

I am not saying that it is OK biblically for a woman to work outside of the home as her primary occupation, beacuse that would go against Titus 2:4-5. Scripture clearly puts the weight our responsibility to our home. But lets not forget that in the very model of Christian womanhood God gives examples of a woman who contributed to her family outside of her home and her husband called her blessed.

I am not suggesting that if your husband said you should not sell goods or the like that you could use those verses as a way or not submitting to his will. But I am saying it is a biblical example given by God and that we should consider this when we talk of roles because it is in the Bible.

Ultimately we have to reverence our husbands like it says in Eph. 5:33. But if that included changing a tire some would say that is not Bible because you are a woman, that is rather silly. We put more emphasis sometime on what our gender roles are than what God has for each couple. The Proverbs 31 man obviously had no objection to her selling goods and delivering them or else he never would have called her blessed. Would God use an unsubmissive woman in an example of blessing and praise ?

Just some things this thread made me think about.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

No---I will not ever admit that I have never changed a tire before!!!:laugh: :laugh:

In the heat
    In the cold
    In the rain

The last flat I changed??? Several years ago!!! I was driving along I-20 from Meridian, MS toward Tuscaloosa---my wife and children were visiting her folks in Talladega and I was headed there to pick them up

I was in my Father in Laws car--an Olds 88

I had MY momma with me

Suddenly

A blowout

I ease over --- stop the engine --- change the tire --- get back in the car --- turn the ignition key ---- nothin'!!!!! NOTHIN'!!!!!

Battery was as dead as a door knob!!!

Fortunately---my momma had her cell phone ---- we call the highway emergency # and it wasn't long before someone came with jumpercables!!!!

But----I do know how to change a flat tire!!!

13. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Critics question.....

Have you ever met one of these guys that are so bent for leather, hard nosed, no common sense types.........they preach about the ladies and what they are supposed to be doing.........(I'm only presenting one thought on one side of the issue).......Now when they get hurt or someone they love gets hurt and they go to the hospital and there are lady nurses running all around helping them, you don't see them get all bent out of shape about those ladies not being at home taking care of the house and the husband.........isn't it funny they are strangly silent.

Bartimaeus

14. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said!:thumbs: