1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crucifixion Happened ON Wednesday

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by antiaging, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your understanding. In fact, as you may know, Matt 28:1 has 2 Sabbaths, one is for the meaning of week, the other is for Sabbath. But please check it carefully. It is Plural !
    Plural can mean from one Sabbath to another Sabbath, which means a week. For the Sabbath itself, we notice Plurals are also used too ( Luke 6:1). But it doesn exclude the possibility that there were 2 Sabbaths, one High Sabbath of Passover ( Passover Sabbath) and regular sabbath.
    When the Bible said " it was almost( nearing) the Sabbath" it doesn't mean the regular sabbath but the High Sabbath. It is very very sure. Bible kept the silence about the distinction there, between High Sabbath and Regular Sabbath. However, what we can imagine is the atmosphere of the feast. Normally, people rested in the feast joyfully during these Sabbath.

If it were Wednesday, then the Thursday was High Sabbath, Friday was a week day, Saturday was the regular Sabbath.

In some day we may be able to confirm the details. One factor was when was the Equinox in that year, then in which year Jesus died? ( in 30 AD? 29AD? or 33 AD? etc.)

As a whole this may help the Believers to trust the Bible teachings but is not the main issue. This may be a seconday issue, but the Believers better have the right understanding even on this.

#21 Eliyahu, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From the first to “the third day according to the Scriptures”. . .
    . . . the first day, 14 Nisan, “Preparation of the Passover”, Thursday, begins :

Evening” – Preparation for, and the Lord’s Supper
    Mk.14:12, 17, Lk.22:7, 14, Jn.13:1-17:26
    Night” – Anguish, Betrayal, Denial
    Mt.12:40, Mk.14:26-42, Jn.18:1-27

Early” – Trial, Delivered, Way to Cross
    Jn.18:28-19:22

Middle Day – Crucifixion, Mocking, Darkness,

Mk.15:25, 29, 33, Jn.19:23-29

The ninth hour”, Afternoon – Died, Deserted

Mt.27:46, Jn.19:30, Lk.23:48
    . . . the second day, 15 Nisan, Passover Feast, “The Fore-Sabbath”, Friday, begins:

Evening” – Jews, “after this”, Joseph
    Jn.19:31-40, Mk.15:42, Mt.27:57, Lk.23:52;
    Night” – Took the body down, prepared
    Mk.15:42-46b, Mt.27:58-59, Lk.23:53a Jn.19:32-40
    Afternoon” – Buried
    Mk.15:46c-47, Mt.27:60-61, Lk.23:53b-56b, Jn.19:41-42

. . . “the third day, 16 Nisan, First Sheaf Wave Offering, “Sabbath”, begins :

Began to rest
    Lukas 23:56c

Morning Guard
    Only Mt.27:62-66
    Afternoon” – Resurrected
    Only Matthew 28:1-4

. . . the fourth day, 17 Nisan, Sunday, begins :
    The Sabbath past
    Only Mark 16:1

Early darkness”, first sight of opened grave
    Only John 20:1-2

“So shall the Son of Man have been in the heart of the earth for three days and for three nights” when raised from the dead “for a sign”! Matthew 12:40.

3. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YOur souces must be flawed. Day of First Fruits are always the First day of the Week. ( Lev 23:11-12), it was the next day after the Sabbath, not the Sabbath.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eliyahu
    "Your souces must be flawed. Day of First Fruits are always the First day of the Week. ( Lev 23:11-12), it was the next day after the Sabbath, not the Sabbath."

GE

No, sorry, really, yours are! Day of First Sheaf is on any day of the week and it was the first day after the 'sabbath', not the Sabbath of the week, but the 'sabbath'-day Nisan 15 after "The Day of Preparation Of The Passover" Jn19:14, Nisan 14. Your view is 'based' upon the so-called but indemonstratetable 'Saddusaic'-view.
    ( Lev 23:11-12),

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have before challenged many scholars to present but a single authentic 'Saddusaic' illustration of the 'always after the weekly Sabbath' incidence of the Day of First Sheaf Wave Offering. Allow me to supply you this little information surer than the Laws of Newton: It does not exist!

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE

Allow the Scriptures - Post 22 - to speak for themselves, and there's NO discrepency or difficulty in the chronological sequence they themselves create and follow!!

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Antiaging
    "It happened on a Wednesday and not a Friday. He was taken off the cross before the sabbath began, but the sabbath that is refered to is the Sabbath of the passover feast, which was on a Thursday. "

GE
    Where does it say ".... the Sabbath of the passover feast, which was on a Thursday"? It never says it! You take it from the air!

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Antiaging
    "It happened on a Wednesday and not a Friday. He was taken off the cross before the sabbath began, but the sabbath that is refered to is the Sabbath of the passover feast, which was on a Thursday. "

GE
    Where does it say ".... He was taken off the cross before the sabbath began"? It never says it! You take it from the air!

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It says He was taken from the cross "After that it had been evening for quite a while already". (The Greek, that is.) Mark 15:42 and Mt27:57.

Noticed how changed in the newer 'Translations'? WHY????

It says Joseph closed the grave "While being afternoon the Sabbath nearing." (Luke 24)

Noticed nobody ever attempted to change this? But have you noticed how they changed the very same word for the very same time of the day in Mt28:1 the third phrase? WHY????

Why MUST the body be taken BEFORE sunset, while the Scriptures directly opposite instucted the body of a cursed should not hang on the pole ALL NIGHT, but be removed from the pole before SUNRISE and that same day must be buried? (Dt21:23)

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

With all respect, Eliyahu and Gerhard Ebersoehn (and all other BB'ers following this thread as well, for that matter), I repeat what I said about Matt. 12:39-40 here and say the same thing about Lev. 23. Let the Scripture speak for itself, in its own context, and not attempt to read into it what we may wish to see. This was written by Moses, who was quoting a pretty good source, I think.
    I could have quoted the whole chapter, but this will suffice to show a couple of things. There were multiple "feast days" referred to as a "Sabbath", and they all are called "holy convocations" with attendent 'restrictions' incumbent upon them. There are some that are referred to as "holy convocations", but not specifically described as "Sabbath" but that seems to be the gist, even so, as an example, 15 Nisan (Abib) or "Firstfruits", which I believe to be identical with the "High day", named in John 19:31. All "Sabbaths" were holy convocations; why was it necessary to designate this particular one (15 Nisan) as "a High day", if not for the first feast day of "unleavened bread" ? (Lev. 23:6-7) Also, two 'feast days were specifically not said to be "holy convocations", namely Passover [14 Nisan, "when the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed" "between the evenings" (Lk. 22:7 - HCSB; Lev. 23:5, Num. 9:3 - YLT)] and 'firstfruits', normally, apparently observed, as another has noted, 16 Nisan. However, the text does not give this specific date, but merely references it as "after the sabbath". It is not 'on a sabbath', hence ruling out its occurring on the 'seventh day sabbath', as well as any other 'Sabbath'.

Hence if, as I contend, 14 Nisan (and the ensuing crucifixion of the Lord) occurred from "sundown Wednesday to sundown Thursday (or the fifth day of the Hebrew calender week), 15 Nisan (or "first of Unleavened Bread" - a Sabbath ) was on the sixth day of the Hebrew week, 16 Nisan was from sundown Friday thru sundown Saturday, the seventh day of the Hebrew week - a "Sabbath", and our Lord came forth from the tomb the first day of the (next) week, on "Firstfruits", which was that year 17 Nisan.

(FTR, and I won't go into this in any depth, here, but both a 'Friday' crucifixion or a 'Wednesday' crucifixion require the Lord to 'violate' the prohibition of traveling a greater distance than a "Sabbath days' journey" on the Sabbath, as well. And I will also note that it took 2000 years for the phrase "between the evenings" to become clear, as to the meaning, as well.)

Our Lord fulfilled all the types, including being our "Firstfruits" by being both the Passover Lamb slain, and presenting himself, the priest, as the firstfruits of the dead, as well. (I Cor. 5:7; Rev. 5:12; Lev. 23:19-12; Ps. 110: 4; Heb. 5: 6, 10; I Cor. 15:20, 23)

Ed

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

There are two signs of getting old! The first is you start to forget things; the second is - uh- uh- uh -u...

I forgot to add two things to my last post. I am familiar with the fact that Matt. 28:1 has 'sabbatOn', a plural form of Sabbath, as Eliyahu pointed out. That has to mean more than one, as he surmised.

Second, Gerhard Ebersoehn asks
    Um, John 19:31 again? The Sabbath started at sundown. And one, following the 'Mosaic law', doesn't do any work on a Sabbath, maybe??

(BTW, this is, again, why that 'Passover' and 'Firstfruits' were not Sabbaths, unlike several other feast days.)

Works for me! Even though I have never, in my entire life, had any 'allegiance' to the precepts of the 'Mosaic law', in any form - for as a Gentile, I never had it, and now, as a Christian, I'm not now, nor have I ever been, under it.

Ed

#31 EdSutton, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2007
  12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ed Sutton,
    "Hence if, as I contend, 14 Nisan (and the ensuing crucifixion of the Lord) occurred from "sundown Wednesday to sundown Thursday (or the fifth day of the Hebrew calender week), 15 Nisan (or "first of Unleavened Bread" - a Sabbath ) was on the sixth day of the Hebrew week, 16 Nisan was from sundown Friday thru sundown Saturday, the seventh day of the Hebrew week - a "Sabbath", and our Lord came forth from the tomb the first day of the (next) week, on "Firstfruits", which was that year 17 Nisan."

GE

Perfect, but for your added afourth day, Nisan 17. Where did you get that from?

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eliyahu,
    "When the Bible said " it was almost( nearing) the Sabbath" it doesn't mean the regular sabbath but the High Sabbath. It is very very sure. Bible kept the silence about the distinction there, between High Sabbath and Regular Sabbath. However, what we can imagine is the atmosphere of the feast. Normally, people rested in the feast joyfully during these Sabbath."

GE
    Where Luke says "the Sabbath was coming on" he speaks of the very same day that started where Mk and Mt say "The Preparation started which was the Fore-Sabbath", at the same time - as Jn says, "being a Great Day" --- It was Friday which was also the Feast Sabbath-Day. On this day says Jn, they buried Jesus there because of the Jews preparations / Preparation Day". Mt recalls thses 'preparations' where he speaks of "the following morning after the / their preparations" when the Jews went to ask to seal the grave because it was the third day already.
    It is very very sure, Eliyahu! The Bible kept NO silence about the distinction here, it makes extra effort to explain it fully! Here in this place it distinguishes between High Sabbath and Regular Sabbath by implication also, but not, directly! What we can imagine the atmosphere of the feast was like, should be Passover-orientated. The three 'first' days of the Passover must each stand out clearly. Normally, people rested in the Sabbath joyfully during the Feast; nevertheless, on the Feast Sabbath, only 'servile' work - work for gain - was prohibited. But whereas even a burial was prohibited on the weekly Sabbath, on the Feast Sabbath it was compulsory. Look at the history of the Exodus where the remains of the lamb had to be returned to dust the after it was slain.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Except that I never "added" a fourth day. That is your reckoning, not mine. I am merely identifying them on a calender.

Although the first day of the week is certainly 'the "forth" day'.

The problem I see with a 'Friday' crucifixion, is that it does not allow any way for any of the following phrases of "after three days" (Mt. 27:63; Mk. 8:31), "the third day since these things happened" (Lk. 24:21), or "so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" (Mt. 12:40) to have any sort of normal meaning whatsoever.

But the 'Thursday crucifixion' do!

Nor does it require one to 'adjust' (Read 'torque', 'twist', or 'wrest'!) other Scriptures to 'fit', either. :D

Ed

#34 EdSutton, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2007
  15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ed Sutton,
    "(FTR, and I won't go into this in any depth, here, but both a 'Friday' crucifixion or a 'Wednesday' crucifixion require the Lord to 'violate' the prohibition of traveling a greater distance than a "Sabbath days' journey" on the Sabbath, as well. And I will also note that it took 2000 years for the phrase "between the evenings" to become clear, as to the meaning, as well.)

Our Lord fulfilled all the types, including being our "Firstfruits" by being both the Passover Lamb slain, and presenting himself, the priest, as the firstfruits of the dead, as well. (I Cor. 5:7; Rev. 5:12; Lev. 23:19-12; Ps. 110: 4; Heb. 5: 6, 10; I Cor. 15:20, 23)"

GE

It is most encouraging I see we agree on some important aspects! I praise the Lord and thank Him for it! All the more reason is it for us to reach agreement on the thing we differ in. I say from the most simple to the most complex 'prophecies' concerning Christ it from the beginning was clear Jesus would rise from the dead "In the Sabbath / on the Sabbath, in the very light of its being". Could this be said of the First Day, one might have expected it the day of Jesus' resurrection; but we find nothing of the kind concerning the First Day in the Old Testament the Word of sure Prophecy and Promise of God's speaking to us in these last days in the Son.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Was Jesus raised on the first day of the week like the Scriptures say He did?

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is how I was taught to count from grade one until this very day - there are some trustworthy axiomas in life:
    One =14 Nisan (and the ensuing crucifixion of the Lord) occurred from "sundown Wednesday to sundown Thursday (or the fifth day of the Hebrew calender week),

Two=15 Nisan (or "first of Unleavened Bread" - a Sabbath ) was on the sixth day of the Hebrew week, Thursday night and Friday day'

Three=16 Nisan from sundown Friday through the Sabbath Saturday daylight until sundown Saturday, the seventh day of the Hebrew week.

Christ rose "the third day / on the third day / in the third day / after two days". The ONLY 'idiomatic expression' of this single truth is found in the use of the word 'after' in the phrase, "after the third day", where the 'idiomatic' meaning is clearly the l;iteral meaning of all the other descriptions of the day upon which He rose from the dead, which was the third day of Christ's being in the claws of death and the pangs of hell. It ended on the third day, in it, and upon it - yea, even through it!

On 17 Nisan He appeared first to Mary Magdalene very early on the First day of the week.

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

And what day would that be on our calender?

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Absolutely! He was NOT raised on the Sabbath!

With all respect, Gerhard Ebersoehn, there is not one verse of Scripture, that I'm aware of that ever even implies the Lord could or would be raised on the Sabbath, anywhere. I am certainly no great Greek scholar, by any stretch, but I think you are arriving at bad exegesis of Matt. 28:1, on which to build this. That verse does not stand alone against all other Scripture, on this, but must be read in a harmonious effort. Secondly, the exegesis of such, ignores the plural "Sabbaths", as well.

Ed

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE

What a way to put your question! I cant tell whether it's intentional or not, but recognised the trap any which way.

One: The Scriptures foretold Jesus would rise on the Sabbath; then: It confirms He did rise on the Sabbath both on strength of the principles of Divine Rest on the Seventh Day and of historic actualisation of God's foreordination in so many words -- words you won't find in newer translations because the true words have been changed to undergird the allegation of a Sunday-resurrection. Conscience plays no part; it's old fashioned and too unpretentious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.