1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crucifixion Happened ON Wednesday

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by antiaging, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    NISAN
    TEXT
    DAY BEFORE PASSOVER
    PLACE
    EVENT
    Jn.12:1
    SIXTH = Saturday
    Bethany
    ‘where Lazarus stayed’
    Meal
    Mary anoints Jesus’ feet
    Lk.19:29-44 Mk.11:1 Jn.12:12 Mk.11:11
    FIFTH = Palm Sunday
    ‘the next morning’ ‘late hour’
    Village Into Jerusalem,
    in temple To Bethany
    Colt, palm branches
    ‘looked around’
    Mt.21:18 Mk.11:12 Mk.11:15 Lk.19:45-48 Mk.11:19
    FOURTH = Monday ‘early’
    ‘next morning’
    ‘when it got late’
    From Bethany
    ‘came to Jerusalem’
    ‘out of city’
    Fig tree cursed
    Cast out money changers
    Mk.11:20 21,27 Mt.22:23 Lk.20:1-8 Mk.13:1, 3
    Mt.26:2
    THIRD = Tuesday ‘early’
    ‘on the same day’
    after two days crucified
    ‘returning’ (from Bethany)
    ‘to Jerusalem again’
    ‘out of temple’
    Mount of Olives
    Lk.21:37
    Fig tree withered
    Temple building
    Jesus preaches Kingdom of heaven
    Lk.21:38
    Mt.26:3
    Mk.14:1-3
    SECOND = Wednesday
    ‘After two days Passover/Feast’
    ‘being in Bethany’
    ‘Simon’s house’
    CONSPIRACY Meal
    Woman anoints Jesus’ head

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jn.13:1,29
    Mk.14:17
    Mt.26:21
    FIRST = THURSDAY ‘BEFORE the FEAST’ / ‘TOWARD the FEAST’
    When the even was come
    Mk.14:2
    Mt.26:5
    Mt.26:17
    Mk.14:12
    ‘NOT on the Feast Day’
    ‘on the first day of de-leaven
    ‘on the first day of de-leaven
    when they always sacrificed the Passover’
    Lk.22:7
    ‘came the day of de-leaven
    whereon passover must be
    SLAUGHTERED’
    Lk.22:14
    ‘when the hour was come’
    LAST SUPPER
    Jn.13:30
    ‘It was night’
    Mk.15:1
    ‘early morning’ .
    Lk.22:66
    ‘Came their day’
    TRIBUNAL
    Jn.19:14
    ‘Preparation of Passover’
    ‘THE SIXTH HOUR’(6AM.)
    DELIVERED
    Mk.15:25
    ‘THE THIRD HOUR’
    CRUCIFIED
    Mt.27:45
    ‘the sixth hour’
    darkness
    46, 50
    ‘the ninth hour’
    EARTHQUAKE
    RETURNED BREAST BEATING
    DIED

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mk.15:42 Mt.27:57
    IT WAS EVENING’
    Jn.18:28

Jn.19:31 Mk.15:42
    FEAST
    ‘might eat the Passover'
    ‘Because it was preparation
    ‘being the Fore-Sabbath’
    the Jews asked Pilate
    After these things
    Joseph asked Pilate
    Mk.15:45
    Lk.23:53
    Jn.19:38c
    Jn.19:40a
    Pilate “granted” Joseph Jesus’ body
    ‘He took the body down’
    ‘He therefore took the body of Jesus away’
    ‘Then they prepared the body of Jesus’
    ‘There laid they Jesus’

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ed Sutton'
    "The three days and three nights starts when His body is placed in the Earth. "

GE

No! "Break down this temple and I shall re-build it in three days" -- it says Jesus DYING AND DEATH - His descending and tasting of sin's reward into death - was the beginning of the three days. And the three days ended when the temple of His body was raised from the dead more glorious than all temples of before and for etenity: "Exalted far above" marks the ende; descended into lowest hell, its beginning. "MY HOUR IS COME!" Jesus also declared the hour in which His suffering would be the glorification of the Father, has come, and it marked the beginning of the three days and three nights the Son of Man would have been "in the heart of the earth" - figurative language for DEATH and HELL - not literal language for a literal grave!

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

EdSutton did not say this. In fact, EdSutton has specifically and repeatedly said this is an error in interpretation.

The passage in Matt. 12:39-40 says not one thing about 'His body being placed in the tomb/grave/earth', as you will. Merely read the text, folks. [It is not that hard to do, in English, for a person with a fair command of the English language. (I admit, I do not know about other languages, not 'reading' or 'speaking' any others.)] The "Wednesday crucifixion" theory is built primarily on the two faulty foundation pillars of this, and "'exactly' 72 literal hours" being eisegeted into Matt. 12:39-40, neither of which is in this text.
    The AMP, DARBY, KJV, NLT, YLT, and ESV all render this this way, as well. (Inexplicibly, the NCV does not here, but paraphrases it to read 'grave'.)

There is no real dispute on how the Greek text reads here, either. The last half of v.40 verse reads: "ουτως εσται ο υιος του ανθρωπου εν τη καρδια της γης τρεις ημερας και τρεις νυκτας" according to the TR1550, WHNU, UBS (Aland/Black/ Metzger), and MT (Hodges/Farstad), with only the MT listing any 'real' variation shown, and that not affecting the real sense of the verse.

The undoubtedly correct rendering of the last part of the phrase is "in the heart of the earth, three days and three nights". The paraphrases that render any of this verse as "grave" are, in no way, on any solid linguistic ground for this interpretation, masquerading as a translation.

Nor is it possible for one to come up with a "72" number out of this text, by any stretch.

Ed

#65 EdSutton, Dec 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2007
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Sorry to hear about the computer troubles. I am not 'computer savvy', myself, and have to rely on my bride to 'fix it', when I mess something up, so I do understand, here.

Ed

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well, at least you get it right in that the 'Jewish day' begins at sundown. And that 15 Nisan (Abib) was not the usual Sabbath. Two out of four is a good batting average only in baseball, though. ;)

Ed

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE

Hold on for a moment! Are we not talking past each other? Is it not Ed Sutton I have quoted? I'll have to go back and see! Nevertheless, neither does Gerhard Ebersoehn hold to any 72 hour nonsense! So it will take a few minutes for me to re-check on what we're actually talking about!

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here I have it in front of me - I printed it out, your post, it says, "The three days and nights starts (sic) when his body is placed in the earth. Not when He died." I didn't even quote the last phrase.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gerhard Ebersoehn believes three days where of three days it is written; and Gerhard Ebersoehn believes three days and three night where it is written - only in Mt12:40. Here are those six time-units the Word of Jesus recorded:
    Wednesday evening the Fifth Day beginning, in the upper room at the table, and Wednesday night through Gethsemane until the morning of Day Five of the week, Thursday, when He was delivered to be crucified; led away, crucified, died, and deserted by everyone! Until:
    the seconde night of the three had begun when the Jews asked Pilate for the bodies to be taken away, and Joseph after this asked for the body to be buried -- the day of Friday's first half, on which He was buried according to the Passover Scriptures that self-same day - the second of the three days of Mt12:40. Then the third time came the evening and the third of the three nights as the women began to rest the Sabbath according to the Commandment of the Fourth Command. Then came the morning and the third day of the three days of the three days and three nights, and the Jews hurriedly asked the grave be sealed seeing it was the third day "this Man said", and "In the after-noon the Sabbath's fulness, when suddenly there was an earthquake and an angel of the Lord from the heavens descended ..." Christ was raised from the dead "THE ANGEL EXPLAINED TO THE WOMEN!"

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ed Sutton
    ".... off the cross before 6:00 pm ..."

GE
    An unknown author quotes
    << Deut.16:6 – “But at the place which Yahweh thy Elohim
    << shall choose to place his name in, there thou shalt sacrifice
    << the passover at even ["ba ereb"],
    << at the going down of the sun,
    << at the season that thou camest forth out of Egypt.”>>

He asks,
    << What does the phrase "going down of the sun" mean?
    And answers,
    << The same Hebrew construction is found in Josh.8:29
    <<… "And the king of Ai he hanged on a tree until eventide [ereb]:
    << as soon as the sun was down ,
    << Joshua commanded that they should take his carcase down
    << from the tree, and cast it at the entering of the gate of the city,
    << and raise thereon a great heap of stones…>>

The author also quotes,
    << Josh.10:26,27 , "... and they were hanging upon the trees
    << until the evening [ereb]. And it came to pass
    << at the time of the going down of the sun,
    << that Joshua commanded, and they took them down off the trees,
    << and cast them into the cave wherein they had been hid,
    << and laid great stones in the cave's mouth…>>

He then claims,
    << The underlined words in both verses
    << are the equivalent Hebrew of
    << "at the going down" in Deut.16:6.
    << Notice one verse says the sun was already down
    << and the other verse says it was going down.
    << To understand what the status of the sun really was,
    << we must look at the commandment that led Joshua to order
    << the king's body taken down. It is found in Deut.21:22,23…
    << Deut.21:22,23 - "And if a man committed a sin worthy of death,
    << and he be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree:
    << His body shall not remain all night upon the tree,
    << but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day ;
    << (for he that is hanged is accursed of Elohim;)…>>
    The author then asserts,
    <<… Joshua was obeying Yahweh's commandment … -
    << The body had to be buried the same day it was hung on the tree.
    << That means it had to be buried before sunset.
    We wish to differ on several aspects.
    First we must stress the fact we agree with the unknown author on the Nisan 14 (end of day) slaughter of the Passover lamb, and its eating in the night of Nisan 15. But this very Passover-arrangement is in contradiction with his ideas on the meaning of the Deuteronomy instruction as well as with both the Joshua passages.

Deut.21:22,23 - "... if a man be put to death ... and thou hang him on a tree, His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day – meaning he must be buried the current day that had begun with “night” - during which the body had been hanging on the tree. It implies the body had to be removed from the tree before sunrise with the view to its interment during the following daylight!
    Thus Joseph of Arimathea removed Jesus’ body from the tree far into night and very probably only before sunrise. “Thou shalt in any wise bury him that day” – which exactly Joseph did: during daylight of “that day”, after the day on which Jesus had been crucified.
    <Shemesh> in Josh.8:29 is translated “sun” in the KJV, and per se means the rising of the sun - Gn.19:23, Josh.12:1 and many other places. (It is also used for other times of sunlight, e.g. Josh.10:12.)
    The words supplied in Josh.8:29, “and as soon aswas down” - because the opposite of <ereb> - should be: “and as soon as the sun began to rise” <shemesh>. And the words supplied in 10:27, “going down”, should be, “at the time of the dawning / risingof the sun” <shemesh>.

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    See the close nexus between “east” – mizrach, and “morning” – shemesh, in the combination “early dawning” – mizrach shemesh. Compare the
    s-h-a- in shachar, “morning” / “dawn”, and in shakam, “to awake” / “rise”, with the s-h-e- in shemesh, “sunrise”. Then also compare the
    m-i-s-h- in mishchar, “morning”, and in mishap – “dawning of day”, with the –m-e-s-h in shemesh, “sunrise”. Now put the two together, and it becomes s-h-a + m-e-s-h, then becomes she-mesh. Then just to confirm this type of combination, see Dn.6:19, shepharpara, “very early in the morning”. Eth eber and shemesh it is clear, are the opposites of day-time and night-time, respectively “afternoon” / “towards sunset”, and, ‘afternight’ / “towards sunrise”!
    Therefore in the case of Joshua 10:26,27, instead of to translate, "... and they were hanging upon the trees until the evening [ereb]”, rather translate, "... and they hanged them upon the trees while the sun was setting [ereb]. And it came to pass that at the time of the rising of the sun <shemesh>, Joshua commanded, and they took them down off the trees.” <Eth ereb> indicates the time of day of the hanging; <shemesh> the time of night of Jushua’s commanding.
    We are compelled to conclude, that the phrases in the two texts, namely, “as soon as the sun was rising” <shemesh>, and, “at the time of the rising of the sun” <shemesh>, are NO equivalent Hebrew of "at the going down" <eth ereb / ereb> in Deut.16:6, where it is the rendering of the word bo, and, meaningfully, is used in conjunction with the statement, “at the sea” – which is to the west of the land and just the opposite of shemesh, “sunrise” in the east!
    Joshua was obeying Yahweh's commandment. The body / bodies had to be buried the day after they were put to the tree - after the night during which they “remained on the tree”. There is absolutely no possibility or implication the bodies could have been removed from the tree “before sunset” before “all (this) night”. And that means the dead had to be buried in the daylight following the night = “that same day”.

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There would have been no sense in having the bodies hung just before sunset only to remove them, again just before sunset. Therefore, instead of translating like the KJV, “And the king of Ai he hanged on a tree until eventide [ereb]”, rather translate, “And the king of Ai he hanged on a tree before sunset[ereb]: and as soon as the sun dawned, <shemesh> Joshua commanded they should take his carcase down.”
    In both events stone-mounts of such hugeness were built over the graves they “remained unto this day” – an immense task scheduled certainly for daylight and impossibly for night-time.
    Indeed, just so, Joseph was obeying Yahweh's commandment. Jesus’ body had to be buried the day after they hanged Him - in fact after the night in which the body “remained on the tree”. There is absolutely no possibility or implication the body of Jesus could have been removed from the tree “before sunset” of the day before - not before “all night” of the day that afterwards did begin - He “shall not remain all night”, but “before the sun had risen” shall be taken “down off the tree”, and “that (same) day” be buried.
    That would bring the exact and full fulfillment “according to the Scriptures the third day” of the typology of the Passover as prophesied: Deut.16:6 – “But at the place which Yahweh thy Elohim shall choose to place his name in (i.e., in Jerusalem, in Jesus Christ!), there thou shalt sacrifice the passover at even ["ba ereb"], at the going down of the sun, at the season that thou camest forth out of Egypt.”
    That was the sacrifice of Him. Then, o sinner, they lifted Him upon the tree “before the sun did set” and before “it was evening”, “so that the Scriptures might be fulfilled”: “His body shall not remain all night(Mk.15:42, Mt.27:57) upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury Him that day”. “And after this Joseph of Arimathea came” ... “he took the body down ... and the women beheld how his body was laid ... and the sun declined towards the Sabbath Day.”

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ed Sutton, I apologise!! I referred back to the actual post on the web, and have now seen Antiaging has said those things I referred to. It's not the first time I got participants mixed up. I am very sorry.

But, so now, antiaging, you have got my answers - just look where I addressed Ed Sutton. Pardon me, once again!

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE

What, if God also 'appointed' the day Jesus would rise from the dead? Would it have been pointless and meaningless? So we must find out if God did, 'appoint a day' for Jesus to have raised on. I dare tell you it in fact is so God did! And for anybody who reads the Old Testament for Scripture, there's only one day that would fit -- the weekly Sabbath Day. For there is nothing the like about the First Day of the week in all of Scripture.

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE

I also wonder why God took the trouble to 'inspire' so much about the Sabbath in the Scriptures, and busied himself not only with the saving of men, but also with their being saved status and life as the Church!

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Apology certainy accepted, although not required and I didn't take any offense. I merely posted for correction, to get the statements not attributable to me noticed.

BTW, "you doode it adain!", as my young niece who is just starting to talk clearly might say.

I didn't say the words "off the cross before 6:00 P.M.", either, but rather used "sundown", as I always do, when referring to the start of the Hebrew day. ;)

Ed

#77 EdSutton, Dec 26, 2007
  18. antiaging

antiaging New Member

Your number 10 seems to be wrong. He entered Jerusalem late in the afternoon around 6:00 pm as Nisan 11 was just starting, on palm Sunday. [Jewish days start at 6:00pm.] He went to Bethany shortly after that because it was getting late and the light was failing; he went to Bethany to spend the night. The next morning, with the fig tree incident was still palm Sunday the 11th. He made the statement He would die on the third day. The third day from the 11th was Wednesday the 14th.

Mark 11:9 And they that went before, and they that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna; Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord:
    Mark 11:10 Blessed be the kingdom of our father David, that cometh in the name of the Lord: Hosanna in the highest.
    Mark 11:11 And Jesus entered into Jerusalem, and into the temple: and when he had looked round about upon all things, and now the eventide was come, he went out unto Bethany with the twelve.

You see it says, "and now the evntide was come", it means night was falling shortly after He entered the city, at the beginning of Palm Sunday, Nisan 11, [Palm Sunday began at 6:00 pm.] The next daylight hours all day was still palm Sunday the 11th up until 6:00pm.

#78 antiaging, Dec 26, 2007
  19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I only noticed after I 'doode it again'!

Ed Sutton,
    "Your number 10 seems to be wrong. He entered Jerusalem late in the afternoon around 6:00 pm as Nisan 11 was just starting, on palm Sunday. "

GE
    You are very observant! It happened exactly where it always happens peopl are led on the by-ways of the true chronology of the last week's days!
    I'm sure you will agree the texts I give belong to the same time-slot - the same day involved.

This is Nisan 10: Lk.19:29-44 Mk.11:1 Jn.12:12 Mk.11:11
    A new pericope starts with Lk19:29. Luke doesn't give the time of day. So we must go look at (usually first), Mark 11:1-11. We find the END of that day mentioned: "And now when eventide was come" - 'opse ehdeh ousehs tehs hohras' - i.e., simplest and literal rendering: "when the hour had become late".
    John 12:12 confirms the whole event happened "On the morning" -'EPAURION' i.e., early of daylight morning (in the east)'.

FIFTH = Palm Sunday
    ‘the next morning’ ‘late hour’
    Village Into Jerusalem,
    in temple To Bethany
    Colt, palm branches
    ‘looked around’

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ed Sutton
    "Jewish days start at 6:00pm."

GE
    Agreed most assuredly - like in John 19:31!
    But when translated 'next day' it almost always is like in Mt27:66, when actually and correctly, it is 'epi-aurion' = 'East-light-day-middle'. When the sun is in the east it is early day(light) still; just like it would be the early hours of night = 'evening', when it is said, "early darkness still" 'prooiskotias eti ousehs'. (Jn20:1)

Many surprises await the one brave enough to investigate the traditional viewpoint of a Friday crucifixing!

#80 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Dec 26, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.