1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured CSB 2020 Revision

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rob_BW, May 8, 2020.

1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #1 Rob_BW, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have already upgrade my digital copy (Olive Tree) to the revised edition. It rolled out last week.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Bible us out a year or two and already needs a revision? They should swap out all the old ones for free.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not if it means fewer $$$ for already financially troubled Lifeway (just saying).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Rippon2

Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I took a journey through Genesis. This is not exhaustive -- just cursory observations. From what I have noticed the original text of the CSB was very much the same kind of wording as the NIV text. Not entire verses, but the words that have been changed in the revision.

There are seven verses in the revised CSB that read basically the same as the NIV. Again, not the entire verses, just the wording that has been revised.

In four verses : 31:3;46:34; 47:30 and 49:29 --the revised version has the word 'ancestors.' Whereas the NIV in these four verses retained 'fathers.'

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I'm curious about fathers->ancestors. Though outside discussing the various groupings of church fathers, I can't say that I encounter the plural fathers as denoting lineage very often.

Looks like Messiah replaces Christ in some spots in the NT.

And they've changed "other tongues" to "tongues." I liked the HCSB's use of "languages."

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At least the Csb are trying to correct any mistakes made in translation!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I liked the HCSB better then either csb or new Niv!

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it what was removed was never intended. On the section of the introduction in the privious edtion, The Gender Language Usage in Bible Translation, it did not explain that "and sisters" had been added to the translation of "brothers."
    I was suprised by that omission in that explanatory section.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think the translators would regard the previous decisions as 'mistakes,' rather, they would regard the changes as improvements.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The choice of "mercy seat" for "hilasterion" simply replaces a poor translation with another poor translation. What does the "mercy seat" accomplish. It provides the means of salvation from the wrath of God. Why not simply translate hilasterion with its actual meaning - "means of salvation?" Who became the mercy seat? Jesus, and not only for us, but also for the whole world.

12. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm looking forward to the updated CSB being put into Biblegateway, so that I can do searches.

I have gone through the whole canon of the revisions and noted some of the changes. The use of the word
    'ancestors' certainly has increased dramatically. See Ex. 2:23;3:15,16; 4:5. Numbers 32:8 and 32:14. Deut. 1:8; 6:10; 9:5; 30;20. In all the aforementioned the NIV uses the word 'fathers.' I'm not saying the NIV doesn't use the word ancestors a lot. It's just that it seems the revised CSB uses the word more than the NIV.

Many things are incidental. In Lev. the word 'fire' was replaced by 'food' with respect to sacrifices. That occupies scores of verses.

Instead of 'trumpet' 'ram's horn' is the replacement. Again, in scores of places they cited the change.

In Romans 5:1 the update has 'been justified by faith' as does the NIV. In Ro. 5:9 the update has 'been justified by his blood' as does the NIV.

In Philippians 2:4 the revised edition has 'look not to his own interests.' That is odd, because it seems less than modern.

In 1 Timothy 2:5 it has 'God and mankind' as the NIV also words it. It used to have 'God and humanity,' as the NLT and CEB have it. I don't know the point of revising the original wording of the CSB. Both the older and the new mean the same thing. By the way, here's how the NIrV has rendered the whole verse :There is only one God. And there is only one go-between for God and human beings. He is the man Christ Jesus.

In Heb. 2:10 the revised words are the same as the NIV : 'the pioneer of their salvation.' In Heb. 12:2 it copies the NIV again with the wording :"the pioneer and perfector."

Lastly, in James 5:4 the updated edition has "Lord of Armies" which sounds NLTish. The NIV has "The Lord Almighty."

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those that purchased a digital copy through a bible Software company it is usually updated for free.
    I know Logos (Faithlife) upgrades for free. I’m not a betting man but I’d be willing to bet that Accordance upgrades freely as well.

Rob

• Useful Useful x 2
  14. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Olive Tree upgraded for free.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Tecarta did as well, but my paper didnt.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So is this where we are headed?

Translations updated electronically according to whims of various committees? And do we buy bibles or publisher subscriptions?

What would Cryus Ingerson Scofield say?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I'm sorry I misled so many people with my dispensational scheme; although I thought I was right at the time."

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said in your OP that they made changes in their use of gender inclusive language. As far as I can tell there were just changes in three passages in Acts 15. The revised CSB now has 'brothers' as has the 84 NIV, TNIV and the present NIV.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I considered those places in Acts as a big problem before the update.

• Like Like x 1
  20. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that this serves to confirm the fact that the NIV is an accurate, trustworthy Bible translation.