1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Cultural Engagement: Every Christian's Obligation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Feb 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And here ya go. "Engaging the Culture" is just Newspeak for activism and judging the Elect by the world's fluid standards. Racism now is the unforgiveable sin. Soon it will be homophobia, and the church, as it has begun to do, will fall all over itself apologizing for its misunderstanding of 'gender dysphoria' and other first-world maladies. Loving thy neighbor will be about understanding and accommodating their special needs to follow little girls into the public restrooms.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This is a bunch of baloney. I've heard zealous neophyte pastoral candidates use this [snip] to turn the church into their resource and staff for programs and activism.

We do not "engage" the culture. We engage individuals. And our first obligation is to Christ and to His body, the church, to the widows and to the orphans, and to the poor of this world.

3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did I used the term "engaging the culture?"
    What I said is that the tendency to live by law rather than grace was also true for the puritans. I denounced manifest destiny as a false understanding of God's covenant with the church so that obliteration of other cultures could be justified...just as Christians used the Bible to justify having slaves.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We in North America live in an increasingly Canaanite culture. What do you think would happen if God were to directly appoint an evangelical Christian to become a head of state either in Canada or the United States? I would submit: not much. The morality of the law reflects the morality of the culture.
    Our culture needs a revival, a turning to Jesus Christ as King, a writing of the Law upon our hearts, before the Law could be implemented full scale.

Upon our culture’s heart is written the law of Darwin, greed, Hollywood, immorality, and murder.
    God’s enemies do not slack when it comes to evangelism and culture-making. In fact, as Voddie Baucham says, we give our sons and daughters to Jericho central school and are then surprised when they come out as Canaanites. There is much work to be done before Canaan can be called Israel.

You see, the church has largely retreated from speaking into culture, politics, economics, etc. Large portions of the church have truncated the Gospel to a “pie in the sky, say a prayer before I die” message.

In other words, Christianity is reduced to saying a prayer and then looking forward to a better life in heaven (hopefully sooner rather than later). This has resulted in a large portion of the church that has no idea how to handle these spheres of culture from a Biblical worldview. We do not have enough faithful Christians prepared to engage or hold any cultural space; the same space which we have been gradually handing over to the unbeliever. We have few Christians to speak into a Godless culture because they have either handed the culture over to them completely waiting for a rapture or have decided that everyone should have a voice at the table of (some sort of) common grace. We have developed excuses in order that we might keep God’s Law-Word within the confines of the church walls.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    amos3:2 You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities.

but then again, here is another "nation" being spoken of:
    mt21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

The Elect church is the holy nation

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So...do you advocate world flight?

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know that this part - "You see, the church has largely retreated from speaking into culture, politics, economics, etc. Large portions of the church have truncated the Gospel to a 'pie in the sky, say a prayer before I die” message.' In other words, Christianity is reduced to saying a prayer and then looking forward to a better life in heaven (hopefully sooner rather than later)." - is correct.

From what I have seen the Church needs more prayer and less speaking into culture. The past election solidified this in my mind. Churches took sides - either Democrat or Republican, rarely choosing Christ and God's Kingdom.

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

In other words, Christianity is reduced to saying a prayer and then looking forward to a better life in heaven (hopefully sooner rather than later).THIS???

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think both positions (the Church speaking into the culture and just saying a prayer looking forward to a better life in heaven) are incorrect.

As your earlier article noted, eschatology plays a big part in how we see the Church in relation to the World.

I believe no secular culture is benign, but is in fact a manifestation of the world (with the exception of the culture of Christ....I e , the love of the Brethren for God and man).

So in the present I believe Christians are to pray, uplift one another, evangelize, and progressively grow into the image of Christ as individuals. We are not saving the World by cultural, political, or moral transformation but by God in us drawing men out of the World and to Himself.

So yes, we do look for a better future when Earth is remade, but our time here is not just waiting. We are living in the Kingdom now.

Of course, that is dependent on my very lightly held eschatology. If a Christian views this new heaven and new earth as coming progressively...like the kingdom is here and will grow until the earth is renewed...then our task is to transform worldly systems.

And that is a legitimate view which was very popular in the Church until the disillusionment of WW2. I just hold a different (but not immovable) position.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I just reject idiom "engage the culture." Because when we live godly, we are engaging the culture. There's no not doing it.

When people talk about engaging the culture they're talking about a sort of spiritual activism; about going out and being seen and heard like ad hoc committees and thinking that this is the thing we're called to.

That is not our duty. Our duty is as I stated above.

Another thing is, that this is really kind of a Western thing, where people by and large have a wide latitude of religious liberty.

The underground church in China engages the CCP by just being. They want to live in peace. The CCP won't let them, and it persecutes them. The churches have secret meetings. Have they abdicated their obligation?

Every Christian's obligation is to offer their bodies a living sacrifice, meaning living holy and godly lives. That is every Christian's obligation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six hour warning
    This thread will be closed no sooner than 10 am EDT,/7 AM PDT

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I understand what you are saying.
    I do not think they are using the term in a light hearted way...or in a liberal social kind of thing.
    I have more I have to uncover here as I had rejected a form of this years ago.
    It is deeper than the superficial look I saw years ago.

13. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The elect are a part of the Kingdom of God. We are aliens and exiles in this land of rebels against our King. Our task is to be ambassadors of reconciliation, calling rebels to put down their arms and reconcile with God.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.