1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dallas Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Maestroh

Maestroh New Member

By The Way

Perhaps the contributing issue to Wilkin is the fact he was Church of Christ before his epiphany of 'faith alone that is alone' - and a professed faith that never does a single work is saving.

M

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I didn't know this, I agree with a lot of his teachings and use his systematic theology as my text books.

3. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

On what basis do you hold this belief?

4. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, having been in and around bible churches in Texas that were led by DTS grads, and been in and around churches that were led by those from other seminaries, I can say that one can almost tell from just listening to them who is a DTS grad. There is a noticable, positive increase in the amount and accuracy of the biblical exegesis coming from the DTS grads. As a general rule, DTS grads give out solid food, while many others are what I call "all merangue and no pie."
    I'm sure there are exceptions, but DTS has a high standard for it's graduates.

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Degrees of agreement?

Well, there has to be a certain amount of commonality or the seminary would not be Christian. One cannot totally remove all boundaries and accept the nth degree of diversity and still preserve identity.

Now, the common argument runs that we must agree on the basics or essentials (What if we do not all agree on the list of essentials?) of the faith. True, but there are other doctrines that matter for some schools as well. For example, a Baptist seminary should expect its faculty hold to the “Baptist Distinctives” but it need not require agreement in every other detail because even all Baptists do not agree. On the other hand, a non-denominational school can be broader in some areas because it is not a question of replicating denominational doctrine. Even Bob Jones University and Bob Jones Jr. Seminary, which are known for expecting close conformity in basic matters, has great diversity of opinions among the faculty on non-essential issues.

In sum, I think the amount of permissible divergence and disagreement rests with the type, purposes and intent of the institution. One size does not fit all.

6. Maestroh

Maestroh New Member

I Made An Error

Folks,

Truly sorry for that, but I am responsible for the proliferation of some wrong information. I humbly apologize.

I stated earlier that John F. Walvoord, the second President of Dallas Theological Seminary, was an Anglican. I said this on the basis that I had been told that by at least two professors, both of whom knew him. But this is incorrect. Walvoord was a Presbyterian.

DTS co-founder W.H. Griffith-Thomas was, in fact, an Anglican, but he died shortly before the seminary then known as Evangel College opened.

Sorry if this has misled anyone.

M

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back to Main Point & Question

Has DTS helped or hindered the SBC?

Grace and peace!

sdg!

rd

8. Maestroh

Maestroh New Member

How Could That Be Measured Objectively?

I don't know. I truly don't.

9. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maestroh (sp?) Response

Hello to all!

I thought all of the watchers of this thread "had been raptured" and "I alone had not bowed the knee to Ba-al!" HA!:laugh:

Obviously what I was trying to ferret out was anecdotal information from the vast array of knowledge and experience of my colleagues.

From your vantage point can I get some opinions?

Secondly, do students still have to sign the "Dispensational Pledge" like they use to have to do there?

As they say in the Navy: "THAT IS ALL!"

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

10. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    " I thought all of the watchers of this thread "had been raptured" and "I alone had not bowed the knee to Ba-al!" HA!:laugh: "

Guess the joke is on you - we were - we are there - we have internet access - well maybe not ....

"do students still have to sign the "Dispensational Pledge" "

Cannot tell you but I heard the president of an independ. Bible college (Dr. Madison/Calvary) say that he had asked every Dallas man he had run into what his end times position was and very few knew. And that was 25 years ago.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Remember who A.T. Robertson and Dana & Mantey are.

Remember where Metzger taught.

Do you know of any DTS professors who are or were involved in manuscript analysis and textual criticism?

12. Maestroh

Maestroh New Member

Ah, Questions

No. I'm vaguely familiar with what you're talking about but there are no 'pledges' necessary upon graduation. I'm not sure but I think it was Swindoll who removed it. He is the one who did away with mandatory suits and ties and added a 'reading week' to both the fall and spring break.

The second 'reading week' (spring) coincides with the World Evangelism Conference (WEC week it's called). One is expected to attend as many hours of WEC as he does class.

13. Maestroh

Maestroh New Member

Hmm

Yes, but both are to a degree outdated due to their advocacy of the eight-case system of Greek that virtually nobody outside the Robertson clan in the SBC even uses anymore. The Greek cases have been downsized to five and that's virtually everywhere.

I believe he was the George Collard Chair at Princeton until his recent death.

Yes. Daniel Wallace went to Patmos this past summer and is in the process of digitizing all the Greek manuscripts upon which he can get his hands. He is assisted in this process by DTS doctoral students.

Secondly, Wallace is the one who authored the second-year grammar used in about 3/4 of the American seminaries at present.

Text critical studies have also been done on a scholarly level by Zane Hodges and the late Arthur Farstad ('The Greek NT According To the Majority Text').

Buist Fanning earned his Ph.D. at Oxford.

Harold Hoehner wrote one of the finest evangelical commentaries in existence on Ephesians.

Darrell Bock is on staff as well.

Jay Smith earned his Ph.D. at Trinity. He studied his Master's level Greek under Wallace and Fanning and his Doctoral level Greek under D.A. Carson and Wayne Grudem.

I won't argue that DTS is 'the best,' but it does have quite the stellar reputation in the languages department.

I would add that if we are counting non-evangelical seminaries, Princeton and Chicago have rated ahead of us in the past and probably at present. Warfield and Machen were at Princeton before Metzger. Both studied in Germany in the late 19th century as I recall.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"Yes!" and "Yes!" to your first two questions, although the first should probably have been "were".

How about some individuals among the following, including such as -

Kenneth L. Barker, Ph.D.;

Darrell L. Bock, Ph.D.;

Edwin L. Blum, Th.D, D. Theol.;

Michael H. Burer, Ph.D.;

Robert B. Chisholm, Jr., Th.D.;

Buist M. Fanning III, D.Phil.;

The late Arthur M. Farstad, Th.D.;

Charles L. Feinberg, Th. D., Ph. D.;
    (Is Dr. Feinberg still living at, now, the age of 98?)

Donald R. Glenn, Ph. D.?;

W. Hall Harris III, Ph.D.;

Zane C. Hodges, Th.M.;

Harold W. Hoehner, Th.D., Ph.D.;

The late S. Lewis Johnson, Th.D.;

Eugene H. Merrill, Ph.D., Ph.D.;

Allan P. Ross, Th.D., Ph.D.;

Daniel B. Wallace, Ph.D.;

Bruce K. Waltke, Th.D., Ph.D.;

The late Merrill F. Unger, Ph.D., Th.D.?

Would some or all of them, at various times, among perhaps, some others, count, or have counted, in some small way?

Just wonderin'!

[Edited to add this, after seeing what Maestroh has written -] Unlike Maestroh (he did say "us"), I do not have, nor have I ever had, any 'official' connection whatsoever, in any possible way, with Dallas Theological Seminary. I do happen to know a small handful of individuals with, or whom have had, some connection(s), in one way or another.

Ed

#34 EdSutton, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  15. Maestroh

Maestroh New Member

Charles Feinberg Is Deceased

John MacArthur, in fact, gave his eulogy.

I don't remember when exactly, but I think it was in the early 1990s. I know it was prior to 1996.

M

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

- Thanks,

Ed

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I love this Greek discussion at one level, for my blood runs liquid Greek--I admire greatly the Reasoned Eclecticism of Dan B. Wallace.

18. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Opening Post!

Gentlemen (and gentle ladies),

Could we please get back to my opening text?

"1. Has DTS influenced the SBC?

2. Is so, "how?"

3. Is it "good" or "bad" for the SBC?"

Could I (we) get some "Light" rather than "Heat" on the subject please?HA!:laugh:

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

19. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I gather that no one in formal linguistics or classics or semitic languages would consider DTS the best language institution. But it probably is the "best" combination of rigorous language study with evangelical conservatism.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been some insightful comments from a number of posters here about DTS. On Sunday I had a conversation with a man who dismissed DTS as being Neo-Evangelical. He's a Fundamentalist and DTS is not -- it's Neo-Evangelical.He just went around in circles on the issue. He could not name any Teachers in particular who have suspect theologies.He did not see the need to investigate. All he knows is that "they" are not separatistic, they have associations with Roman Catholics etc. he doesn't want any further conversations on the subject. He's a BJU Fundamentalist and that's that.

I know that Dallas is a mixed bag as Martin has said. But some stellar professors have taught there. If any of you consider yourself to be a strong Fundamentalist would you still have a good word for DTS? Or do you have my friend's take on the subject?