1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Data Geek who loves the Bible

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BibleViz, Jul 7, 2020.

1. BibleViz

BibleViz New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, everybody! I'm glad to be here and hope to converse with thoughtful Christians from time to time. My day-to-day work as a data expert keeps me immersed in technology, which gives me loads of ideas on how we can use it to spread knowledge of God's unchanging truth.

I created Viz.Bible to share the results of some of those ideas. It's a passion project for now but I'd love to be able to create that stuff full-time instead of carrying on as a cog in the machine of a global tech company - one that you all have heard of but that I cannot name for obvious reasons.

For years I've been active in other social platforms to help build my career. That strategy worked but has passed it usefulness. I'm exhausted with the insanity I find out there and am here looking for a community grounded in truth that also allows a variety of opinions in two-way discussions.

• Like Like x 2
  2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the problems being many Christians disagree on some details of that unchanging truth. Bible translations choices and interpertations and arguments over secondary issues. And some of those disagreements are nececary. Otherwise we should all want to avoid them if possible in dealing with the lost.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A major issue (that we can easily see on online forums) is that Christians typically leave the text of Scripture to offer what they believe the Bible teaches or implies.

In 1 Corinthians 4:6 Paul wrote "Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other."

Often we have people who offer a verse and then say "this is what it means" or "this is what it teaches'. We need to be more careful in telling what it says. I have noticed that some hold to what they believe the Bible teaches because they cannot make sense of what it says without adding to the text. But to others the text itself seems complete.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FaithLife/Logos Bible Software is actively looking for software/tech gurus to help them develop their product. You may want to check them out.

I’m a visual, hands-on learner myself and appreciate you site. I’ll have to give it a good look over.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  5. BibleViz

BibleViz New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've talked with them at a recent conference. I think they do good work but aren't quite aligned with the things I want to build.

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BibleViz, welcome to the Baptist Board!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be shy in posting. Asking questions is expected; answering is always optional :)