1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dave Ramsey fans, which book...........

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by Grasshopper, May 8, 2008.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

would you recommend for my 19 year old daughter? Which is best for someone just starting their life away from home before they've accrued any debt?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can't say I'd recommend any of his books. Contrary to what he teaches, she needs to BUILD credit in order to purchase a home some day.

3. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

Grasshopper,

I've read a couple of Dave Ramsey's books. I just recently read a book by David Bach called "The Automatic Millionaire". In fact, I started a thread on it here.

Though I learned a lot from Dave Ramsey's books, I would first give your daughter The Automatic Millionaire. You can get a used copy for about $6.00 (including shipping) at Amazon.com

If only I had read this book when I was 19 years old!

Brian

4. dan e.

dan e. New Member

As a Dave Ramsey fan...I'd say that I think his position would be that you don't need to build credit if you have cash. Nobody is interested in your credit report if you have $$; which is what his plan gets you.

5. learner

learner New Member

exactly--he's about going to a cash basis

he saved our finances--love his materials

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Here's a good way to look at it. Think about what a credit report is. It is people basically wanting to know how consistent you are in paying bills when you're broke.

If you're not broke....no need to worry about how consistent you'll be because you have money.

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I have to agree with Webdog on this one. I am not saying that Ramsey doesn't help many people, but he is far from being the best choice for a young person to first learn from.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How does one get cash? A job. Many employers hire based on credit score and history.

I agree with much of his advice...to those in debt over their eyeballs. All credit is not evil as he implys, though. Like anything in life, it is a tool that can be abused, but can also be quite valuable and convenient when used responsibly. Keeping the alcohol away from the alcoholic is not the way to cure his problem. You deal with the heart. Same applies to debt, as you deal with the spending, not the credit.

Fact is, we are moving away from a cashless society very fast. Anyone who puts all of their eggs in Mr. Ramsey's basket may be quite surprised one day.

9 out of 10 millionaires own real estate. I would venture 90% or more put down the 10 - 20% minimum (or less) on their properties, and finance the remainder

#8 webdog, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2008
  9. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I don't know.....I know quite a bit of people who have their eggs in his basket, plus you can listen to them on the radio. Nothing to be surprised about when you have millions in mutual funds....plus thousands in the bank.