1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured David and Bathsheba ... who was truly at fault in the eyes of God?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 22, 2015.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that others have adequately answered these questions. Whether or not she shares blame (and regardless of how she would have viewed refusing a king that God anointed) has nothing to do with the narrative. It is interesting to note, however, that she also faced the consequences of the relationship as she lost her child. Ultimately, however, the responsibility for that sin is with David....perhaps not because he alone was at fault, but certainly because he was a major figure in the narrative while Bathsheba was not. When we move on to lessons about Bathsheba then we move from Scripture into speculation.

:thumbs: yes, I completely agree.

#21 JonC, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2015
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where does the Bible say that she was naked? Where does it say that she boldly and purposefully or even neglectfully "put herself out" where she could be observed?

You are insinuating that she was brazen.

Leviticus 15 describes how both men and women HAD to bathe after emissions from their bodies. It gives lengthy and sort of gross detail as to a man and a woman who when they emitted natural things from their bodies caused EVERYTHING they touched to be unclean UNTIL they ceremonially bathed and went to the priest.

And it says over and over that they were unclean until the evening.

Between intercourse and nocturnal emissions and menstrual cycles and child birth, there was ALOT of ceremonial bathing going on. Just think of the newlyweds!! :laugh: :eek:

Bathing in those days - whether ceremonial or because you stepped in bull poop or a fell down in the mud - took place in mikvahs or around the well. It wasn't just extremely private. If you were wealthy, you might have a family courtyard with a mikvah but it was not entirely private as it had to collect rainwater so there was no complete roof on it.

Here is a link to several pictures of ancient Hebrew mikvahs (I did misspell it the first time in my above post.)

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...JVeCIHcKXygTShoOwDQ#tbm=isch&q=ancient+mikvah

Orthodox Hebrews today have them in their homes and there has to be running water flowing through it as from underground.

As you can see of the ancient ones found - when both men and women ceremonially bathed in them, exposure was sometimes unavoidable. That's why people in the near east who still use outdoor ones sometimes bath covered up.

#22 Scarlett O., Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, and lest you all think that I am defending her honor because I am also a girl .... I am not.

When Adam and Eve sinned, God punished Eve and rightfully so.

When Jezebel was eaten by dogs ....... that was rightfully so.

When Sapphira shared in her husband, Ananias' fate because she covered for him ...... that was rightful justice.

I just don't see an indictment by God on Bathsheba. And in Nathan's story to David, she is symbolized as the pet sheep as innocent.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never in all of my life ever heard someone indict Bathsheba over this till now on this forum. She is a victim and guilt free.