1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured David Chilton's Hermeneutics

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chilton denied the Second Coming event, the physical resurrection of the body, and had very pecular heurmaneutics, so why even use him at all?

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you do yes or no answers. You do them all the time, just not in discussions about the Bible, which I feel is a huge mistake. As Tom Cassidy pointed out, "Let your yea be yea, and your nea, nea." That's Bible.

Server: "Would you like fries with that?"
    Iconoclast: "I feel that fries are a misuse of the potato plant. However, they do have a modicum of taste to them that I relish."
    Server: "Huh? Does that mean yes??"

I do yes and no answers all the time. I stand up for what I believe. If I say "yes," it's pretty hard for someone to claim I meant "no."

"JoJ, are you a dispensationalist?"

Answer: "Yes, and unashamedly."
    I'll say exactly why I started this thread. I'm not ashamed of it. This thread exists to combat the damage you have done on the BB by claiming Chilton over and over as a good source for interpreting the Bible, and agreeing with Gary North that he cannot be successfully answered. I finally got tired of your constant dependence on this guy. :rolleyes:

As I have shown and will continue to show, Chilton did not know the Greek and had awful hermeneutics. This makes him completely unreliable as a source. You may continue to use him, but hopefully others will be turned away from his ignorance.
    Good! So you will no longer reference Chilton as an expert, is that correct?

#62 John of Japan, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dude....he wrote that after coming out of a coma!..give him some slack, he did not fully remember the names of friends....
    He wrote this before his mental struggles....he wrote it, so I have to source him on this section.

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If I quoted him and did not reference the quote....you would chide me for not giving the reference....correct?
    If you notice, I gave you credit for showing some defects in those posts...I even said it was helpful...
    Where did I say he was an expert on the whole bible? I might not remember that
    The James passage is not speaking of a yes or no response.....context....but I do not want to derail this valuable thread

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have already pointed out somewhat, Chilton had a poor grasp of some terminology. This is true in the area of hermeneuics. For example, he never mentions "allegorical interpretation" or "grammatical historical interpretation," or the normal term for any other widely recognized methods. He instead makes "literalism" a pejorative. In fact, the term "hermeneutic(s)” itself only occurs once in PR, actually in a book title in the bibliography on p. 294. DOV is not much better. TGT never uses the term.

On p. 199 of PR, he talks about hyperbole (not using the term), but doesn’t recognize that as a figure of speech.

Though he talks a lot about interpretation in PR, nowhere does he mention: figure of speech, simile, personification, or hyperbole.

He only uses the term “metaphor” twice in PR: p. 18 about the water for the woman at the well, and p. 79 about the barren fig tree: “Israel was a garden, a vineyard, in rebellion against its owner; or, to change the metaphor, it was a tree without fruit.” If he is all about symbolism and allegorical interpretation, why doe he not talk more about metaphors?

#65 John of Japan, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, because referencing quotes is not only the ethical thing to do, it's a rule on the BB.

But I'm hoping that now you will abandon him. :)
    Great! Glad to help.
    I don't remember any such thing either. I never accused him of that or you of saying it.
    Thanks for not derailing the thread.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I too like straight forward answers.

But I would have to qualify my answer to your question to yourself.

"TCassidy, are you a dispensationalist?"

No, except in a very minimalist manner. Old Testament dispensation, New Testament dispensation, Kingdom dispensation. :)

But I am not completely down on Chilton. He does do really good Motor Manuals. Oh. Wait. Never mind. Wrong Chilton. :D

Amazon.com: chilton auto repair manuals: Books

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Laugh :Laugh

Does Chillton have a Car Repair for Dummies? That's the one I'd need.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    T.C. ... Is that the ARV Bible?... The Automobile Revised Version?... Being mechanically disinclined its all Greek to me... Brother Glen:Laugh

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He still held to that while in his right mind. correct?

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not correct....

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he became a full pretierist correct?

13. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excuse me???? So you claim that RC Sproul has bad hermeneutics because he disagrees with your eschatology?

14. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You sure do!

15. PrmtvBptst1832

PrmtvBptst1832 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, he died a Preterist who denied the coming of the Lord and resurrection of the dead.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Headed home until Monday, at which time I'll finish up this thread with some notes about Chilton's use of numerology. Have a great weekend, everyone!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was a heretic at the end then?

18. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preterists do NOT deny the coming of the Lord, nor the resurrection of the dead. The say he has come, & the spiritually dead are raised at conversion & glorified at death with spiritual bodies.

But what did Chilton actually say before his death? Your statement may not be an accurate expression of his belief.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is that there is NO historical evidence that Jesus has already had his second coming, and the rapture event will be physical resurrection of the body!

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mbelieve Scripture LITERALLY AS POSSIBLE. While I know there's some figurative/symbolic passages, such as the dragon drawing a third of the stars with its tail, we should know what they mean thru our hindsight.

If we "make" Scripture to mean something besides what it ACTUALLY SAYS, then, as Dr. Bob said, it becomes subjective rather than objective. That's what many quasi/pseudo/Christian cults do, as well as the purveyors of false doctrines such as "word/faith", "regenerative baptism", and preterism do to try to justify their hooey. (Not to mention KJVOs!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.