1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David Wilkerson: An Urgent Message

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by LadyEagle, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I agree that we are NO WHERE near as bad as British TV nor others, and likewise agree that it should be of concern, but it's no where in the realm of Wilkerson's so-called prediction.

BTW, scripture doesn't condemn nudity outright. It does in specific instances, but not as an absolute in all situations, such as for purposes of idolatry, lusting, or when the intent is to bring attention to shame. But there are also instances of it being appropriate, such as when Saul stripped off his robes and also prophesied in Samuel's presence, or when King David dances nude within sight of slave girls when the Ark of the Covenant arrives. Micah records an instance of going about barefoot and naked while mourning. Isaish is commanded by God to strip naked in ch20. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating general nudity, I'm simply wondering if we're overly concerned with it.

#81 Johnv, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More theological conservatism I see.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I place David Wilkerson's prophesy right up there with the Mayan end of the world as we know it senario on dec 21, 2012. Its a shame. This one of the many reasons I have problems with Pentecostals. The Montanist had false prophesy as well. And if Wilkerson's prophesy does not come true how should we treat it? The Torah says to put to death a false prophet. Now, Jesus has given us grace but why should we so easily overlook such a thing. No matter how general and non - specific it is. Its kind of like the rolling end times predictions that I keep hearing. The vague time frames involved with common issues for certain destruction shows how disingenous it is. In other words how I interpret the meaning of this "prophesy" is this: " If something bad happens then I can say I told you so and prophesied it. If the status quo remains I can say it isn't time. " I admired the man for witnessing to people like Nicky Cruz. But this is beyond the pale no matter how good the intent is.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

Well what does scripture say about false prophets and those who presume to declare they speak for God about things to come to pass? You'll find that God does not play games with such people and nor is the church to. They are not allowed to be wrong once, not once.

What is most interesting about biblical prophesy verses pagan, is that biblical prophesy is a forth-telling (a specific narritive of things to come) and pagan prophesy is a foreteilling (predictions of possible things that may occur and not necessarily as stated).

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

interesting statement. I thought your view of theological conservatism was to take the bible literally. Well, the bible literally states that nudity is permitted in certain cases. To deny that is to be a theological liberal, at least according to your definition of liberal vs conservative. Good luck with that.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    I'm not sure, but I believe that passage is referring to the context of worshipping false idols. Wilkerson, albeit in error on this topic, is by no means an idolater.
    I believe you are correct on that. In the very least, such a person should acknowlege they were in error before attempting to so do again. Despite that, we have an abundance of past false propets, such as Hal Lindsey, whose incorrect predictions are too numerous to list. Yet he still enjoys a huge audience among Christians today, many of them Baptists.
    It is. I'm quite humbled that people remember me.

#85 Johnv, Jul 24, 2009
  6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actaully in the OT they were to be killed as Duet 13:5 and 9 illistrate if these men called for the people to go after other gods. And in the OT the other false prophets were marked as liars and decievers. This is carried over into the NT in which false prophets are equated with the unsaved, wicked, and ungodly:
    If they presume to speak a message from God, they must be exact at all times and if not they are to be dealt with in accordance with one who is in sin. However, if they were in fact wrong in their prophesy they have disqualified themselves from that position. One chance is all you get.

#86 Allan, Jul 24, 2009
  7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to read that narrative again. David never danced naked.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Doh! You're correct. That darn loincloth!!!

9. alatide

alatide New Member

The end times has never been a concern for me. The need to continually test our faith is always there. I could walk out of this building and be hit by a bus. The result to me personally is the same. I would immediately be facing judgment. The real question is whether we are ready to do that right now, not whether the tribulation is coming. I can handle war and civil strife in this world. I cannot handle the prospect of spending all of eternity separated from God.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops! Read it again.

11. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Bumped in honor of Harold Camping.

12. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did He Make This Prediction While A Guest on....

...a well known Christian television network that claims to be reaching the world with the Gospel?

It sound like something I've heard from many guest preachers on that network over the years, and it won't be the last time these highly visible comments are made in the name of "ratings!"

We all know that there is coming a day when events will make many tremble! We just don't happen to have a time frame. Clearer heads and hearts must continue to prevail!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type::type:

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Glad you bumped it, Grasshopper.

It has not been more than two years since David Wilkerson's prophecy. Which calamity is the one he was talking about?

About the Camping prophecy, didn't he say that only a small number of people would be raptured? I'm a bit worried. Everybody I know is still here. Did we all get left behind?

14. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, You Are Still Here?

On a post I put up, you wished us all well from up there. Glad you came back down to earth (with the rest of us!) :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.