1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Daytona Beach Wins Eminent Domain Case

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by JGrubbs, Aug 23, 2005.

1. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

A judge ruled in favor of the city of Daytona Beach late Friday afternoon on a controversial eminent domain case.

That means that the city can take property away from business owners along the boardwalk to make way for $120 million oceanfront redevelopment project.

Source: WESH.COM

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Daytona Beach isn't the only place in Central Florida where such battles are being fought. In the small Orange County enclave of Home Acres west of Winter Park, homeowners have held out against a developer's efforts to build a town center with retail stores, residences, offices and parks. The developer has lobbied for Winter Park to annex the area and for Orange County to create a community-redevelopment agency, which could have the power to condemn holdout properties for a redevelopment.

Source: Orlando Sentinel

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This nonsense is clearly getting out of hand. Maybe we should just give our constitution to Iraq since we apparently don't even pretend to use it anymore.

Thanks a lot for a lot of nothing, SCOTUS. :mad:

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I am not a law expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe a city can invoke an eminent domain plan if the city needs the property for expressways, etc.

New London, CT recently approved eminent domain to make a park. Something I don't think the founding fathers intended. I think that is the Keno vs. New London case that is currently in the news.

6. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Happens all the time. Our property isn't really ours if the city wants it.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The liberal Supreme Court justices have made it legal to enrich developers by allowing government entities to steal private property.

It will continue.No one's home or business is off limits.

The Soviet Union is a failed nation but liberals, it seems, want to carry on their ideals of property confiscation by the government here in the USA.

8. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

The left is now demanding that we keep the balance that is now in the Supreme Court, so that America doesn't go down the tubes with the Christian right.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

True you are, Rachel!! I don't have the news clip link(or I would post it)---if I need it and any of you want to see it---I can dig it up---but anyway

The State of Mississippi won Eminent Domain against a "lone hold out" farmer who wouldn't budge when Nissan needed some property north of Jackson---the state came in---declared Eminent domain on this farmer's land(about 300 acres--I think)---and I believe the farmer was a black gentleman---but they(the state) took his land and then turned around and gave the land to Nissian to build their assembly plant.

Is that pitiful or what??? Burns me up!!!