1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deacon Uses Church Computer to Find 50th Mersenne Prime Number

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Jerome, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fourteen-year quest finally bears fruit: deacon started the number crunching in 2003.

christianchronicle.org/largest-known-prime-number-found-church-computer/

"Recently, a Tennessee church deacon made a discovery that’s a pretty big deal. How big? Well, it’s a number that’s 23,249,425 digits long....The number was calculated by a computer program running in the offices of the Germantown Church of Christ in Tennessee....'I printed it,' Pace told the Chronicle. 'It took a while.' And a lot of paper — 69 and a half pages of large, 11 by 17-inch sheets, printed in a 2-point font."

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder how much electricity that process consumed?

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Piper is not amused.

"Personal computers offer a never-ending possibility for discovery. Even the basic environment of Windows can consume hours and days and weeks of curious punching and experimenting. Color schemes, layouts, screen-savers, short-cuts, icons, file-managing, calculators, clocks, calendars, etc. Then there are the endless software applications consuming weeks of your time as they lure you into their intricacies. All this is very deceptive, giving the illusion of power and effectiveness, but leaving you with a feeling of emptiness and nervousness at the end of the day. RESOLUTION: I will strictly limit my experimental time in the computer and devote myself more to the truth than to technique."

Five Dangers of Computer Unreality

4. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Due to the geometric and mathematical nature of the number, I heard that the archangel Metatron was present. :Biggrin