1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Death Penalty for police officer?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by church mouse guy, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "court of public opinion" believes that Officer Wilson did the right and necessary thing. The evidence is mounting up as I type.

Twelve eyewitnesses confirm the account of Officer Wilson.

Eventually we will see the facial cuts and bruises to Wilson's face. The dashcam should yield some clear information about Brown.

I don't know how long Furguson has had a majority black population. It's now at 70%. I find it amazing that something like this hasn't gone down before.

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if it's discovered that he acted criminally, the death penalty ain't happening.

Even in 1st Degree murder cases, it's very difficult to get. But to demonstrate that a police officer acted in such an egregious manner, when their job is, by nature, violent and dealing with violent people, is nigh on impossible.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What evidence? Now right here is where I agree with what Blacks have said in the past. Of late, as is the pattern on this board, people speak as though you should not accept the eye-witness account of one group of people, but you should accept the accounts of another group of people. Why?

Why are so many on this board and in "conservative political" circles less likely to accept the eye-witness accounts that don't support the officer and tag them as rushing to judgment, but are quick to throw their support behind accounts, and not even necessarily eyewitness accounts, that support the officer?

In your eyes,what makes these 12 accounts more credible than the ones that have come out against the account of Officer Wilson WHICH we have not heard?

All we've heard is a heresay account from a friend of a friend of Officer Wilson.

From what I have heard so far there was some sort of confrontation at the police car and both sides seem to be in sync on that.

Where things seem to diverge is those supporting the officer are saying that he was being bum rushed after the car confrontation. Those not supporting the officer's nonaccount are saying that Michael Brown was fleeing and the officer then got out of the car chasing him while shooting which would be consistent with the distance the young man's body was from the police car.

Nobody has been killed before. But there was a similar incident from 2009.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Confirmation bias. The tendency of human beings to seek out and accept things that support their preconceived views, and to reject evidence that is contrary to those same notions.

5. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Zaac, you're ignoring the autopsy reports. We can't believe the reports against the officer because they all are blatantly false. Brown was NOT shot while fleeing. We know this.

So since those stories can't be trusted, we only have the other side to believe so far.

Also, I believe that a lot of people on this board have a "wait and see" mentality, and haven't judged either way.

An objective look at the incomplete evidence so far does shine favorably on the officer, though. But we need more evidence to be brought to light. For instance, we know all the shots came from the front. But from how far?

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the "secondary" eyewitness accounts are being upheld by audio recordings.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is crucial. I'm wondering if Brown was shot while trying to wrestle the gun away from officer Wilson through the squad car window, why didn't the autopsy report list gunpowder residue on the skin or at least an opinion as to how far away the bullets were fired from?

I'm in the wait and see camp, but am now leaning towards the officer's account.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I'm taking into account the TWO autopsy reports. How do the autopsy reports refute that he was fleeing? If one is to believe the officer was being bum rushed, how is it so difficult to believe that the young man was fleeing? The body was 35 feet away from the car.

According to eyewitness reports he was fleeing, turned around, was raising his hands and continued to get shot. How is that inconsistent with the autopsy report? Perhaps you've seen something I haven't?

Why can't those stories be trusted? What have you seen and heard about the autopsy report that leads you to believe those accounts cannot be trusted?

Several have. But the usual suspects...

How does it shine favorably for him? HE hasn't given an account of what happened, at least not that's been publicly released. Eye witness accounts refute in part what those supporting him have said. And now you're saying that the autopsy refutes the eyewitness accounts.

So I'm just curious again, what about the autopsy refutes the eyewitness accounts to the point that you and others are saying it couldn't have happened the way the eye witnesses said?

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The police department released a statement as to what happened.

The multiple shots in the right arm is consistent with Brown trying to get the gun from the officer through the squad car window and Wilson firing the gun. Police say that "at least one shot" was fired inside the car.

10. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

The autopsies have confirmed that Brown was shot from the front. You can't be shot while fleeing from the front. This discounts those witnesses.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I'm leaning toward a partial account as it seems there was a confrontation AT the car. But it also appears that AFTER the car confrontation, Officer Wilson got out of the car and chased Michael Brown while shooting. And that accounts for the body being a distance from the car.

I'm still not clear on why, if there were other officers present, or if Officer Wilson was the only one shooting at Brown. Did Officer Wilson have a partner? Did any other officers start shooting after the supposed discharge of the gun in the car?

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really. He could have turned around, started to come at the officer, whereupon the officer fires his gun, Brown falls to his knees and the officer continues to fire. While on his knees one of the bullets enters the top of his head.

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

How do multiple shots in the arm result from one shot IN the car? How is that consistent with trying to get the gun?

The officer obviously got out of the car if he was claiming to be bum rushed. Was Michael Brown standing next to the car just waiting for him to get out after trying to take his gun and it going off?

That doesn't make much sense. That's why it seems as though the eyewitness accounts of him trying to run away AFTER what happened at the car seem to make more sense. But then again, who knows?

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Actually, that would confirm what some of the eyewitnesses have said about him fleeing, getting shot and turning around trying to raise his hands and continuing to get shot.

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's easy to come up with possible scenarios. Brown is shot in the hand while trying to get the gun from Wilson through the car window. He withdraws and starts to run away. Wilson exits the car and yells, "stop or I'll shoot"! Brown stops running, turns around, maybe yells out, "you'd never fire, you're going down" and starts to run at Wilson. Gun is fired hitting Brown in the right arm, Brown falls to his knees, one of the bullets enters the top of his head.

There has been no mention of a partner in the car with Wilson.