1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debate

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by MrW, May 9, 2023.

1. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The key to brothers disagreeing is to not be disagreeable. We need to stick to dialog and discussion rather than argument or debate. And we need to agree upfront to use Bible as sole and final authority in all matters of faith and practice.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    An issue I have observed is discussions become a contest.

A Christian discussion...even debate...should be for the edification of both parties (not necessarily agreement, but mutual understanding).

More often than not one member tries to shut down conversation and score a "win".

Mention the Christus Victor view and somebody will sooner or later come up with "nobody thinks Christ was a looser" (ignoring the content of the view and playing with the title). There's the "cosmic child abuse" claim tossed towards those who believe the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement.

Calvinists will sooner or later start with accusations of "saving oneself" towards non-Calvinists. Non-Calvinists will get to "you're making us robots".

By the time it gets there both sides have already lost as those attempts to shut down communication merely demonstrate insecurities in doctrine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I am not a brother, but I have seen healthy debates and vile discussions.

I certainly got your point, MrW, but I think it's a matter of the heart and the intent, too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does that sound like a case in point? :Wink