1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debating with Evolutionists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Guido, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been trying to debate with evolutionists on another forum, but I find that I lack knowledge of apologetics, and science, often supplementing the few arguments I know with my own. This is not good. I don't want to keep debating with them, as I think myself in need of more knowledge and skill.

What should I do?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you search for macro evolution you will find a ton of info. From my own times when I have interacted with an "evolutionist" I have found you would have more luck talking to a brick wall. Most of them are so set in their ways that nothing will move them. For them evolution is a religion and mother earth is their god.

Their favorite line seems to be "well you just do not understand......." Just fill in the blank.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why debate.

There is never a conversion that I know of that has taken place from such a debate.

Present what God’s World states, and then walk away.

Do not engage the mocker, the ungodly, the sinners in debate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Geologic Column does not perfectly exist in the world even at the Grand Canyon where it definitely should

the sun would have melted the universe 10 billion yrs ago due to heat

gravitational pull would not have allowed a sprig of grass to to rise up out of the earth

rotation of the earth would have thrown people off into space due to its speed

where are all of the transition life forms? There should be tens of thousands of them, yet there has never been 1 found in 160 yrs

not to mention Laws of Physics

That’s a good start

6. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not any kind of helpful tips or hints on this kind of debate. But allow me to chime in. I'm an individual that has a recent college biology degree that I earned really just for personal enrichment as I'm +60 and not looking for a new job. What happened was I took a college algebra class and next thing I know I'm taking college level organic chemistry and biology in the evenings and weekends and to keep going I had to declare a major so I settled on biology as that was the path of least resistance.

Anyway, for most people, smart as they are and on either side of this debate there is actually little understanding of "evolution" and what modern evolution actually teaches. So OP, not to insult you, but you probably know as much as the person you are debating, which is probably not very much. This is not again an insult, it is just my observation.

If you were having this debate with someone that is actually informed on both modern biology and chemistry and that person knew you were also informed and couldn't fool you by being less than truthful, your job convincing that person that the Bible offers up a logical and much more elegant explanation of life as we know it is actually easier. You still have to contend with the fact that evolution is at it's core a faith, a religious faith, so you still have that to deal with. And the more you study modern evolution, the more you can see where it is actually a "faith".

As I feel that I have a fairly good grasp of basic evolution as it is taught at the undergraduate level, about as far as I go when evolution (and carbon dating) comes up is to state that creation as in the book of Genesis requires but 1 miracle, evolution requires miracle on top of miracle and none of these are observable today. If vertebrates have been on the earth for millions of years there should be bone fossils galore and for what reason should a thinking person believe that an entire extinct species of prehistoric man be considered real based on one piece of a jawbone found in a cave in rural France?

All we can do, both inside and outside the theory of evolution is hold forth the gospel of Christ Crucified and leave the rest to our Savior.

Much of what is called "evolution" is actually naturalistic selective breeding, it's not an actual species jump.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask them where the Universe came from, and how Dna internally changed to become new species in history!

8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not just say, the Scriptures say …” and let that person argue or agree?

If the Scriptures do not work, then the Holy Spirit is not in the matter.

“Do not throw Perils before swine”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stop debating them, as evolutionists do not believe the one thing that will change their minds...
    God's words.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know many Godly Christians who believe God guides his creation via the natural laws of evolution. However, you are correct. Stop debating over an irrelevant issue. Evolution is a distraction away from the fact that we all need to be reconciled with God through the shed blood of Christ Jesus. Talk about Jesus and leave evolution alone. It's not worth the time.

• Informative Informative x 1