1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Debt vs. Penal Substitution

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Brooksntea, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mean "You fight with the strength of many men, Sir Knight." (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, 1975) :Laugh

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever the final deduction - it is eternal, therefore whether debt or punishment using the logic of #90 Jesus would still be suffering.

However Jesus being Almighty, eternal and infinite God He was able to fulfill the divine requirements and appeasements in a temporal duration on earth.

"it is finished".

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. It has been "best practices" on this forum that we do not use mockery when addressing other members including making changes to their given name.

I have no idea how you feel about your given name, but I am named after my Grandfather who was a remarkable man who made our name one of respect and honor.

To refer to me as "Jack" is an insult of the highest order.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not necessarily. Aquinas argued that by virtue of merit, not suffering "our" punishment but bearing punishment on our behalf, Christ satisfied the demands against us.

Only in Penal Substitution Theology is this a spiritual and eternal punishment (or its equivalent) that Christ suffered. Aquinas viewed Christ as bearing punishment (associated with taking on our nature) that satisfied the eternal consequences we would otherwise face through divine merit. Anselm viewed Christ bearing punishment (associated with the Incarnation) to restore honor (again, satisfaction made).

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you have my apology if, in fact, you believe I was calling you "Jack" rather than presenting an idea (again in the form of an un-cited lyric) encompassing more than a simple name. I meant the reply to be taken as a whole.

In my opinion your assertion that I was calling you "Jack" is without merit as I believe you smarter than that. :)

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As this thread has devolved into a childish game of one upmanship I am closing it pending Administrative Review.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep it closed.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Perhaps another thread can continue the meaningful part of the dialogue without the distractions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.