1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Decisional Regeneration? What about today’s popular “alter call”

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 1689Dave, Nov 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever is not of faith is sin. Says Paul

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus says whoever believes has eternal life. If you make one of these think they saved themselves by an act of the will, you are undermining Christ and salvation by grace. You replace grace with works. If you must decide to believe, it is only because you do not believe in any true sense.

3. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    what difference does it make whether it is singluar or plural?

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that all that comes out of your mouth is your own ideas. None of the above is in scripture. First of all we cannot undermine Christ with His demands of.
    Joh_1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    Luk_8:13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
    Joh_1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    Joh_6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
    Joh_7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
    Joh_9:35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God?
    Joh_9:36 He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him?
    Joh_11:48 If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.
    Joh_16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
    Joh_17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
    Act_16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
    Act_19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
    Rom_4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
    Rom_10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
    Php_1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;
    1Ti_1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
    1Jn_3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
    1Jn_5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

In every instance believing is the only key.
    Believing on Jesus is a work of God not man.
    MB

5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    and Repentance

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Singular no good or evil. Plural, not much good and evil.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really. The plural is used for sins as opposed to sin

8. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave. I understand your point in the sense that you don't want people who don't really have faith looking back at a time when they went forward at a meeting or something. But if done right, I see no problem with having people who have just come to faith during the time of preaching to indicate somehow that they have done so. I mean if you preach the gospel to a crowd of people, even in today's climate someone is liable to get saved. When I was a kid they used to counsel people who had come forward - they went through a careful explanation of the gospel message to try to make sure that no one came for any false reason and that they understood what they had just done. The church I go to now doesn't do that but I just don't see any harm either.

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did God approach Abraham in order to give him an opportunity for salvation and had Abram not excepted God would have moved on to another or did God choose Abram unto Christ, unto faith and by doing so Abraham became the father of the faithful, the father of many nations through his seed Christ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be ideal, but in real life, the preachers convert them into thinking they saved themselves. This happened to me and I could not escape until I dropped out of Church completely.

11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen brother. I know, no Greek but there be a reason it is in the generic.

To be belonged of God by His choice.

• Like Like x 2
  12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does that work with Acts 19:19? The very same verb and grammar in the plural. πραξαντων as used in Romans 9:11. And only those two places in the whole NT.

13. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's true and I didn't mean to contradict you. I also know people who did the same thing who are very close to me and I know people who live lives that are no different from the average worldling and they still look back to a time where they walked an aisle as if that act will protect them. I just don't think that an alter call in itself is always wrong.

14. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    No but that's a different situation. When you and I give out the gospel or your pastor preaches a sermon we are just fellow humans trying to explain to people what we have discovered. And there again - I'm Calvinistic enough to believe that it was all the work of God and when I say we discovered it we just mean that from our point of view. There may be a great response or just a few like Paul in Corinth or it may end up like Stephen or like when Paul got attacked and left for dead.

15. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think of this popular song being sung in Calvinistic churches:
    Let not conscience make you linger
    Nor of fitness fondly dream
    All the fitness he requireth
    Is to feel your need of Him

I will rise and go to Jesus
    He will embrace me in his arms
    In the arms of my dear Savior
    Oh there are ten thousand charms

Is the person doing a work if they rise and go to Jesus?

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I have to conclude that you do not trust what Christ Jesus says

Joh 6:29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

So seems to me that we have to believe and it's not a work as you understand it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure here but do you not think your being a bit judgey. I think we should leave the decision about someones faith or lack thereof up to God.

18. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow you have an amazingly low view of the love of God. You would have Him condemn infants to hell for something they have not done. That comes about because you fail to understand Gen 2:16-17 or Gen 3:17-19. Like they say if the foundation is faulty so is the building or in this case the theology.

19. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    And since in your theological view God has to determine all things that means that He gave the sin to those babies that He then judges them for and condemns to hell for sinning. That is not the loving God that the bible shows us so it has to be one you have made up.

20. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually for it to be a lie the babies would have to have to ability to know right from wrong. See by your logic then your pets can lie also or have you never seen a dog whine and wag their tail to get something from their owner.Austin you may can that science but I would put it down as pseudoscience. D. Reddy found what they were looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.