1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Defining "worship"?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by MikeS, Nov 24, 2003.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Focus Mike.

A key purpose of defining worship is to distinguish it from the practice of praying to the dead "if possible".

"Note" the idea that prayer is ALSO a part of worship came up (and was attacked by our RC bretheren) before I posted this list of indicators for worship - that most definitely addressed the RC practice of praying to the dead, bargaining with them and having their own Catholic Digest confess that this really is the RC equivalent of "praying to the family gods".

Turning a blind eye to that elephant - does not make your Protestant bretheren "also" blind to the fact.

How were you expecting to avoid it - while you saw the discussion zero in the subject of prayer?

Can you really ward of open and objective discussion by saying "only mean old Bob would notice this problem in the RCC"?

In find that kind of silly.

In Christ,

Bob

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Notice that not "only" did I provide the list you quoted I ALSO provided the RC source "showing" the connection between praying to the dead and praying to the family gods.

I "did" my homework - now -- have you done yours? Can you at "least" address the details?

In Christ,

Bob

3. MikeS

MikeS New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Catholic Digest Answer Man!
    Another official Church source is heard from!
    A+ Bob!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Basically the RC response to that Catholic Digest quote has been "dead silence" - not compelling - objective - researched dialoge...

It will be interesting to see the excuses they can think of for not coming up with substantive responses to their own Catholic sources.

In Christ,

Bob

6. MikeS

MikeS New Member

There are plenty of "Catholic sources" (whatever that means) that I wouldn't trust with last weeks trash. Haven't you heard -- there's a large and influential segment in the Church that's in open rebellion against the Pope, the Magesterium and the teachings of the Church. That's the bad news. The good news is that they're slowly becoming marginalized by their own radicalism and contempt for "their" Church.

Does every publication with the word "Baptist" on it accurately represent Baptist belief?

Does every publication with the word "Christian" on it accurately represent Christian belief?

Your faith in Catholic solidarity is touching, but misplaced. There are some "Catholics" out there who probably believe fewer Catholic teachings than you do! It's a wierd world we live in!

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When a Catholic source "confesses too much" - the knee-jerk reaction by some Catholics is to demonize it - no matter how well respected.

The idea is to try to "bend it" so that they can "somehow blame non-Catholics" for what their own Catholic sources print. I "suppose" that is the best we can get from them on "substantive" response - and will have to take what we can get.

In Christ,

Bob

8. MikeS

MikeS New Member

Bob, let me explain a very simple concept. If it's not taught by the Church (in Council documents or Papal encyclicals) it's not Catholic. You find me a Council document or Papal encyclical that says saints are like family gods and then I'll agree with you. But, since you won't find such a document, you're just blowing smoke.

The Catholic Church doesn't hide its teachings. The catechism is on sale in any bookstore. The Council and Papal documents are available in book form as well as online.

But I know this won't change your mind. You have too much at stake in the fictitious Catholic Church you tilt against night and day.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Unfortunately for your spin-doctoring - Catholic Digest is not written by a bunch of "protestants hiding as Catholic publishers". It is instead - a well read - well respected periodical for Catholics. It is not "teaching doctrine" about the practices of replacing the "family gods".

It is merely "reporting history".

Your view - that "history can be edited better than that" - is just silly.

The question is one of history - showing the evolution of Catholic doctrine from paganism.

The Catholic church statements on doctrine - seldom venture on to those grounds because they don't want to appeal to the pagans as their "authority".

Catholic Digest is not doing that - they are simply observing the historic facts. As does Thomas Bokenkotter on this same subject.

These "catholic source" just become "new sources" for you to demonize as you circle your wagons in the "ever tightening circle".

In fact - you charge your Catholic Digest and your Catholic historians with "writing fiction" when what they tell the world about the history of the church - does not "please" your desire to see "revisionist history".

As we see in your final note --

You "revise" history so that even THESE Catholic sources are just "so-much-data-in-favor-of-Bob who has some odd reason for wanting Catholic histories to be true."

In Christ,

Bob

11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

With Mary being called "Co-Mediatrix" and "Co-Redemptrix," does the RCC believe in the Trinity or the "Quadity?" :rolleyes:

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In John 6 we find that no man can come to the Father except through Christ.

But of course - that's just God's Word -- what about the Quad idea and the specifics on who our all powerful redeemer is....

The nice thing is - the RCC does not "hide" it.

In Christ,

Bob

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That leaves the question of just how powerful the Queen of heaven - Mother of God really is...Is she reall omnipotent? All powerful? Is this our form of "praise" in worship when we pray at her altars? (mentioned in the previous post)

Again - Catholic leadership has made it crystal clear. None need to be confused on these points.

In Christ,

Bob