1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dennis Prager: ‘My Opposition to Donald Trump Was Wrong,’ He Is a ‘Great President’

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Calminian, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've always liked Prager, and really struggled with him during the primaries. But he really came around after the primaries, and has been a strong supporter of Trump ever since. The man has great political wisdom, and I think he represents a vast number of others who are skeptical about Trump. His apology wasn't necessary, but appreciated.

[​IMG]
    Dennis Prager: ‘My Opposition to Donald Trump Was Wrong,’ He Is a ‘Great President’

“My opposition to Donald Trump was wrong,” said Dennis Prager, describing Donald Trump as a “great president” whose political successes are connected to a disregard for the left-wing and partisan Democrat news media narratives.

Prager’s comments came during Thursday’s episode of his eponymous radio show. While Prager has said that Trump was his last choice during the Republican primaries, he supported him vigorously in the general election against Hillary Clinton.

“The only way to govern [while advancing] the principles of conservatism,” said Prager, was to disregard left-wing and partisan Democrat agitation pushed across the news media landscape. Prager said:

I was wrong. My opposition to Donald Trump was wrong, in retrospect. I was wrong. I had friends who supported him, and I didn’t understand them. I said, “Are you not aware of what he said about John McCain? Isn’t that enough to disqualify the guy?” They perceived in him what I did not perceive in him, that these over-the-top statements – as objectionable as the statements themselves may be, and none of them defended the statements – nevertheless, what they perceived was accurate: a man who doesn’t give a damn about what the press says about him. That is the only way to govern. It is the only way to advance the principles of conservatism in the United States is to not give a damn.

“[Donald Trump] is so much better a president than Mitt Romney would’ve made,” said Prager, describing Romney as “tepid” and concerned with appealing to news media outlets such as The New York Times.

A president’s actions are a more important metric of presidential success than a president’s demeanor, said Prager:

Would I like Donald Trump to have Mitt Romney’s temperament, or for that matter Barack Obama’s temperament? Yeah. So what? I would like a whole host of things. People are packages. What a president does is more important to me than a president’s demeanor. He is so much better a president than Mitt Romney would’ve made. Mitt Romney would’ve awakened every day to read The New York Timeseditorial page to see how he’s covered. Mitt Romney gave us Romneycare in Massachusetts. I campaigned for Mitt Romney, he would’ve been a better president [than Barack Obama]. Any Republican is better than any Democrat, that’s just the way it is. Having said that, Romney would’ve been a tepid president. Nothing comparably conservative compared to Donald Trump.

Concerns with a president’s demeanor should be secondary to broader analyses of a president’s impact, said Prager.

“He has turned out to be a great president with big communication flaws, in the way he tweets and some of the things he says and his temperament,” said Prager. “My temperament is the opposite. I love dignity. I love understatement. Okay, so be it. So what? I’m not sure I’d be as good a president as he. How do you like that? That’s how good he’s been.”

In April of 2017, Prager invited ostensibly conservative NeverTrump news media figures to celebrate Trump’s presidency. “Do conservatives — or non-leftists, for that matter — appreciate just how terrific Donald Trump has been as president?” he asked. “And how lucky we are that he won the presidency?”

“What I do know is that they ought to be deeply appreciative of him, and deeply grateful for luck or providence, and certainly for Trump himself, that he was elected president,” continued Prager. “First, it is unlikely that any other Republican would have defeated Hillary Clinton. Second, he has not only surpassed many of our expectations but also thus far governed in a manner more consistent with conservative principles than any president since Ronald Reagan, and arguably Calvin Coolidge.”
    radio interview: Dennis Prager - 'My Opposition to Donald Trump Was Wrong' - January 25, 2018

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not vote for Trump and do not plan to vote for him in 2020. I was a dyed-in-the-wool Republican until the last election cycle. I believed pragmatism was better than principle. That has changed. I had numerous issues with Trump the candidate and Trump the President. I will not list all the issues I have with him, mostly because no one really cares. That said, I pray for him and I root for him. I want him to do well. I do not want him to fail. He is my president just like Obama was my president (even though I believe Obama was neck-and-neck with Carter as the worst president in my lifetime). May God bless President and Trump and grant him wisdom.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite the strawman. I forgot that Romney ran for President in 2016.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

4. Calminian

Site Supporter

Sounds like you're a sin counter, frankly. When you apply a standard like this, no one will pass. All fall short. Trump has been in the public eye for decades. He has a long record and much of it when he was not conservative.

With this attitude, you end up supporting no one, and completely turning your back on the innocent (particularly the unborn). You might think it's brave and principled to do this, but not when you place someone else's life on the line. If your own life was threatened by laws like RvW, I could potentially see bravery. But not when your actions endanger other innocent lives.

I prefer to look at direction rather than perfection. Trump has gone from pro-abortion to the most pro-life president in our nation's history. He's kept his word and governed in accordance with biblical principles laid out in Romans 13. And he's one appointment away from creating a pro-life supreme court (assuming he gets to replace a liberal judge, including Kennedy).

If Christians join you, and sit out, the abortion holocaust will continue, and it will not be on Trump. The blame will drop directly on the Church, and those within that knew the good they should do, but did not do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not telling me anything that others have not already said; and may I add, more eloquently than you. My response? You are entitled to your opinion.

Have a good day.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just ask yourself who supports the agenda and polivies of the bible best between Him and those running against Him?

As a Christian, His pro life support, support for israel, and His views on America First helps clinch the vote for me...

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just make sure to exercise your mandate to vote, as MANY Americans gave their lives to help keep this for you!

8. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked all those questions and came up with answers that the majority of my friends, family, and church family disagreed with. Disagreeing over principle has never bothered me, although hearing supposed Christians categorize me with baby killers (which they did) revealed that they are no better than the Democrats they oppose. I was ashamed to be associated with them. Martin Luther stood up to the recognized ecclesiastical power of his day and said: "to go against conscience is neither right nor safe". I steadfastly refuse to compromise on my conviction about voting. I cast my vote in the 2016 election for the candidates of my choice and will do so in every future election regardless of the opinion of others. Regardless of who wins, I will accept the decision of the voters and pray for the winning candidates.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are voting, and that is the main thing!

10. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you're in a swing state, one of those rare places where your vote actually kinda counts.
    :Wink:p

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Calminian

Site Supporter

The disagreement is not over standing on principle, but over the validity of your particular principles. You have put personal dislike of a President over life—and not even your own life. You're willing to put the lives of others in jeopardy. I'd be curious where you get these principles.

The RvW holocaust, right now, does not threaten you. You are completely safe in a very civil society with a good economy. You'll likely thrive. But other are not so lucky—others with out a voice. For them it's a game of Russian Roulette. You have claimed that you are turning your back on them based on moral principles. I'm merely pointing out those principles cannot based on Scripture. The idea that Trump is so immoral, he cannot be allowed to save lives is both bizarre and illogical (not that I believe he's that immoral, but if I did, I still would not turn my back on the unborn).

[​IMG]

12. Calminian

Site Supporter

13. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am glad my vote counts. After all, I put a lot of effort into deciding who to vote for.

14. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You write very well. Other than that you have no idea why I voted the way I did. Until you figure that out, try guilting somebody else. You are very good at that too.

15. Calminian

Site Supporter

If you're feeling guilted, it's not my intention. The point is to tell the truth. Sometimes truth has a way of cutting to the chase. My concern is for the entire Church. If the Church was united, abortion would be abolished just like slavery was abolished. The fact that it's not reflects on this generation. Will we find the will to end the holocaust or find excuses not to fight? I'm praying for the former.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yea lol....did he tell you that you are an abortionist yet?

17. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know. I finally added him to my special list.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #18 Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  19. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder why people violating laws should not be living in fear. Fear of the "sword" of the state is a God-designed deterrent for potential lawbreakers. People who are here illegally should be fearful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Calminian

Site Supporter

You mean phony Christians claiming to be above the law and trying to cut in line? Hmmm. I say deport, and give them a Bible with a bookmark on Romans 13. Respect the laws of lands. It's a good testimony.

BTW, you two complaining about being called out on abortion is hilarious. :)

#20 Calminian, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018