1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Denver Baptist Bible College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by TheOldJudge, Oct 20, 2021.

1. TheOldJudge

TheOldJudge Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While reading through A Sinner Saved by Grace, the autobiography of Ed Nelson, I ran across an interesting reference. Denver Baptist Bible College was mentioned as the catalyst for Nelson's first meeting with the infamous Jack Hyles.

Now, I know of Jack Hyles from his ministries at the Miller Road Baptist Church and the First Baptist Church of Hammond/Hyles-Anderson College; however, Nelson recounts how Hyles was named the president of "Denver Baptist Bible College" (alternatively called the "Baptist Bible College of Denver" or simply "Baptist Bible College") a full eleven years before HAC opened its doors.

What was the Denver Baptist Bible College? A footnote in A Sinner Saved by Grace casually states that it now exists at the Theological Seminary at Faith Baptist Bible College in Ankeny, Iowa. Does anyone on the Baptist Board remember the College? Does anyone here know someone who attended? If so, what was it like?

Any answers are appreciated.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1986, the President of Denver Bible Baptist was Dr. L Duane Brown. I have personally known him since the 60's. He was originally a pastor in Upstate NY. - He later became the State Rep for the Empire St Fellowship of Reg Bap Churches. Then he became pastor in Houston, Tx. He later accepted the position of President. In Jan of 86, I had lunch with Dr Brown in Jan of '86. I'll never forget that day - During lunch we had Paul Harvey on and heard about the explosion of the Space Shuttle. Dr. Brown never said anything to me about the proposed merger. Later in that year -Denver Bap did merge with Faith as well as the Seminary. The school wasn't that big - and (at the time an approved school) of the GARBC - but the GARB was not that strong out West. So I would say it was a win-win - Denver didnt have to struggle and Faith became stronger.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was out at FBBC in Ankeny this past summer with my son for the Bible Faculty Summit. Beautiful campus, great people!